Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2014, 07:45 PM   #21

You don't put together a document that covers everything. You publish a document that describes the operation of the trailer specific stuff. For example, where the bypass valves are for the water heater. Where the valves are and what the controls do for the propane system. The documentation doesn't explain any of these things.
Marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:05 PM   #22
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
the problem with writing a good RV manual is you have a mix if a dozen or more manufacturers parts all mixed together. How would you mix all that together in one book and who is liable if the information leads to damage or injury?
When we purchased our new Silverback,we received not only the woefully inadequate one size fits all generic FR manual,but also several other manuals describing the various things like the thermostat,refrigerator,oven,stove,EX lube axles etc.

I'll be among the first to say that FR could make their general manual much better, but I'm satisfied that they did at least include those other manuals.

In addition, I developed a good working relationship with the then current FR Warranty Manager for our model FW who provided me with several other manuals that I asked for.

You just have to ask for what you need and build your own manual library IMO.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:45 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
When we purchased our new Silverback,we received not only the woefully inadequate one size fits all generic FR manual,but also several other manuals describing the various things like the thermostat,refrigerator,oven,stove,EX lube axles etc.

I'll be among the first to say that FR could make their general manual much better, but I'm satisfied that they did at least include those other manuals.

In addition, I developed a good working relationship with the then current FR Warranty Manager for our model FW who provided me with several other manuals that I asked for.

You just have to ask for what you need and build your own manual library IMO.
Manuals from the various equipment and accessory manufacturers are fine. However, since FR seems to change the actual mechanincal systems annually with each new model year, they really need to provide better details on thing like how to winterized, how to hook up to city water or fill the H2O tank, better detail the holding tanks and better explain the cabling for the TVs/entertainment systems. If FR utilized CAD systems, providing simple diagrams showing locations of holding tanks and plumbing, electrical, and entertainment infrastructure would be very simple to provide with each unit. My 2010 Sandpiper 345RET service center is laid out very neat, but I had to pull a panel in the storage area and chase down the plumbing to figure out how to winterize it last fall. And like many of you, in order to fully understand where anything is, I have to remove the belly pan, try to remove panels, or just guess about it.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
factory