Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2015, 01:11 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
lgray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 795
Fiberglass Roof Leaks on Trilogy?

The very first post on the thread below, caused me a little concern. Note the picture on post #1, where the roof meets the cap. When re-did my Dicor a month ago, I put a bead down the molding/covers between the caps and roof, inside only. My concern then was of water getting under the cover. The exterior molding is painted and looked to be in tact, so I assumed it was leak proof. I also recall seeing a few ruffles/bubbles on one side where the roof bends down to meet the sidewalls.


roof warranty thread

Any other Trilogy 2013 & 2014 fiberglass roof owners seeing similar?
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:50 AM   #2
Member
 
mguay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 45
The link you posted isn't going where you want it to...I think!
__________________
2015 GMC Denali DRW
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3715FB
mguay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:59 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: indiana
Posts: 224
I was up on my roof to stem a skylight leak. Roof looked fine on casual observation and there were no ruffles/bubbles around the front cap or sides where the skylight is located.

I will do a more extensive look later this month.
__________________
Jim
2019 Coachmen Mirada Select 37LS
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 03:06 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SW Oklahoma
Posts: 263
If my roof starts to crack I will go with the Roof Armor system. While I have not seen it in person, it looks like the best solution. Just like Line-X.

John
__________________
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter, Garnett See Level Tank Sensors, TST 507 TPMS
Retired USAF - Full Timers!
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 03:13 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
lgray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by mguay View Post
The link you posted isn't going where you want it to...I think!
The link is " Roof Warranty " ...takes you to another thread, scroll down to post #1 for pictures.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:49 PM   #6
Member
 
mguay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 45
Fiberglass Roof Leaks on Trilogy?

Today I installed a window awning on the rear window. I had to move the ladder to the side. While on the roof securing and sealing the ladder, I figured I would have a look at the sealant. I found the sealant cracked at both the front and rear caps. It was cracked at the joint between the caps and the roof. I also found at least half of the screws holding the shower skylight were visible. I also noticed that quite a few of them had been over tightened and cracked the skylight. Even though we purchased this unit in April, it was a leftover 2014. When we bought it, I did get on the roof and check it over...apparently not close enough!
__________________
2015 GMC Denali DRW
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3715FB
mguay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:56 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
lgray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by mguay View Post
Today I installed a window awning on the rear window. I had to move the ladder to the side. While on the roof securing and sealing the ladder, I figured I would have a look at the sealant. I found the sealant cracked at both the front and rear caps. It was cracked at the joint between the caps and the roof. I also found at least half of the screws holding the shower skylight were visible. I also noticed that quite a few of them had been over tightened and cracked the skylight. Even though we purchased this unit in April, it was a leftover 2014. When we bought it, I did get on the roof and check it over...apparently not close enough!

The skylight issue was a known issue back to 2013. You shouldn't have too much of an issue with factory getting you squared away with your dealer.

Below is a link to similar issues I found this summer when re-caulking. Inspect the caulk job the dealer does when they replace your skylight.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-82141.html
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:57 PM   #8
Member
 
mguay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
The link is " Roof Warranty " ...takes you to another thread, scroll down to post #1 for pictures.

When I click on that link it goes to a topic called "thanks". I would like to see the pics you are talking about. I searched "roof warranty" and found nothing with that title.
__________________
2015 GMC Denali DRW
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3715FB
mguay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:02 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
lgray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by mguay View Post
When I click on that link it goes to a topic called "thanks". I would like to see the pics you are talking about. I searched "roof warranty" and found nothing with that title.

Let's try again...someone else has posted additional pic's

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...y-89635-3.html
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:02 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
 
asquared's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,069
I fixed the link to the where OP meant to link to.

OP the link is causing confusion as to what you are asking. It would be simpler if you posted pictures of where you suspect you are leaking. If you are seeing bubbles with soapy water then that is likely your leak point. A leak can happen on any trailer. All it takes is one seem needing a caulk touch up.
__________________
<a href=https://i62.tinypic.com/28rp645.jpg target=_blank>https://i62.tinypic.com/28rp645.jpg</a>
2014 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 3500 4wd Duramax/Allison
2014 Sabre 34REQS-6
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:10 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
lgray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
I fixed the link to the where OP meant to link to.

OP the link is causing confusion as to what you are asking. It would be simpler if you posted pictures of where you suspect you are leaking. If you are seeing bubbles with soapy water then that is likely your leak point. A leak can happen on any trailer. All it takes is one seem needing a caulk touch up.
Thanks, but not seeing confusion, just a faulty link.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:50 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Cypressloser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Alberta - East of the Rockies, West of the Rest
Posts: 1,785
The factory put a label on the control panel cover saying something like:
Check all exterior seals and seems every 90 days and reseal if necessary.

Igray I know you're using the right product, but for those new to rving:
Do not use silicone or acrylic based sealants on exterior seems, always use Dicor or another product recommended by the trailer manufacturer.
__________________
2018 RAM 5500 Laramie CC
Sold: Riverstone Legacy 38RE, 960 Watt Solar, 6x6 Volt AGM Battery Bank, Freedom SW 3012 Inv/Charger
Ordered: 2021....
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:17 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
lgray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
The factory put a label on the control panel cover saying something like:
Check all exterior seals and seems every 90 days and reseal if necessary.

Igray I know you're using the right product, but for those new to rving:
Do not use silicone or acrylic based sealants on exterior seems, always use Dicor or another product recommended by the trailer manufacturer.
Great point, self-leveling for your flat roof areas, non-self leveling for roof areas connecting to sidewalls...as self-leveling may run down the side or be there to catch the run...self-leveling will dry pretty fast in summer sun.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:38 PM   #14
Member
 
mguay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 45
Quick update on my cracked skylight. I sent an email with pics to the service manager at my dealer. I cc'd Matt @ Dynamax. Matt replied before the dealer and stated that if it hadn't been claimed already they would take care of it. I called the dealer 2 hrs later to see what they found out. Matt had "replied all" and with that email in the file, the dealer ordered the replacement skylight. 😁
__________________
2015 GMC Denali DRW
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3715FB
mguay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fiberglass, leak, roo, roof

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 PM.