Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2015, 07:37 AM   #1

New Trilogy 38RL owner

I just found this Forum on a link from IRV2 forum. I am looking to get information about Forest River, as I was a Keystone Alpine owner before. We purchased our new Trilogy 38 RL on 5/23/15 and it has sit at the dealer since the second week of June waiting on parts to replace the roof ladder, a step light that never worked, and now a Recall Kit, to repair the WOBBLY stairs on this Forest River Dynamax Trilogy. I am getting frusterated with Tom Johnson Camping World, and Forest River in the delays to get my repair parts. I am going looking for numbers to reach Dynamax to get my parts expedited because I have another trip planned in August, and I do not plan to cancel it. Thanks for listening to me vent my frustrations. Kevin
Old 07-19-2015, 01:04 PM   #2

Welcome to the Trilogy family. I sent you another reply concerning contacts for support. Hope that works for you.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:40 PM   #3

Welcome I hope you enjoy your Trilogy as much as we enjoy ours.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:17 PM   #4

Welcome, and do not get discouraged. Your issues are minor in the big picture. We just picked up our 38RE (tough decision between that and the 38RL!) and have a few small issues, but nothing that is going to affect our camping season. Just remember they all have their issues, and don't sweat the small stuff!
-lenny- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:53 PM   #5

Just brought the Trilogy back home. The new roof upper ladder is redesigned from the original. I will take off the lower section, and I will not step foot on it again! I have an A frame werner ladder in the basement if I need to get on the roof, and a Little Giant Extreme on the way, if they ever ship it!

The step recall was done. Rivets removed and bolts put in the place of them, it is a lot better now! Repaired the baggage door struts, the power plug, and tightned up all the light fixtures around the camper. It pulled like a dream. I put 1/2 tank of water on board while I was at the Checkout campsite, to start up the ice maker for our trip.

Gonna have to find a new source for the water filter. Camping World just took over the store at Tom Johnsons Marion location, and they do NOT stock the water filter for the FR1 filter housing yet! I spoke with the store manager about adding it, as they have about 300 campers on the yard with that housing installed in them!
Old 08-28-2015, 08:59 PM   #6

My 2nd Day in Our New 2014 Trilogy 38RL

Just trying to figure out 5th Wheel life. We can't figure out how to turn off our running lights, they burn night and day while we're on full hook-ups. I see references to a remote control but if our unit came with one we haven't found it. Can't get cable to work at KOA. Bought two new coax cables. Hooked to the input that says Cable and the one one that says Livingroom TV, neither works. Plumbing under the kitchen sink was loose and drippy. Can't figure out how to turn off the light on the outside stairs. I read that the unit was supposed to come with a Dynamax vacuum, but it's not there. We have a switch that says Front Awning and a switch that says Rear Awning, but there's only one awning on the trailer. The brand new, double A/C units can't keep up with this Texas heat, with temps in the trailer approaching 90 even with both A/C units running full bore... many questions and nowhere to get answers. If anyone can shed light on any of these items, I'm all ears. Thanks! It's not all bad, by the way; the bed is very comfortable and I've been watching deer graze while I have dinner at night.
MatthewJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewJulie View Post
Just trying to figure out 5th Wheel life. We can't figure out how to turn off our running lights, they burn night and day while we're on full hook-ups. I see references to a remote control but if our unit came with one we haven't found it. Can't get cable to work at KOA. Bought two new coax cables. Hooked to the input that says Cable and the one one that says Livingroom TV, neither works. Plumbing under the kitchen sink was loose and drippy. Can't figure out how to turn off the light on the outside stairs. I read that the unit was supposed to come with a Dynamax vacuum, but it's not there. We have a switch that says Front Awning and a switch that says Rear Awning, but there's only one awning on the trailer. The brand new, double A/C units can't keep up with this Texas heat, with temps in the trailer approaching 90 even with both A/C units running full bore... many questions and nowhere to get answers. If anyone can shed light on any of these items, I'm all ears. Thanks! It's not all bad, by the way; the bed is very comfortable and I've been watching deer graze while I have dinner at night.
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the Trilogy.
I can't help you with all of your issues but let's see.
There is a switch right beside the awning switches which is for the front led's if that is what you refer to running lights. Play with the switches and label them.
I'm not sure about your tv issues but try turning the tv antenna booster off, the switch is in the bedroom under the ceiling, the booster is known to cause problems with cable tv.
The dealer probably stole the Dyson vacuum.
They also probably lost the remote which works for the lights, awning, and leveling system.
We had the same plumbing leak, solution is to put it back together, hand tighten the fitting and try not push tall pots or a bucket against it, you could also wrap it in tape to give it more rigidity - it can happen.
We camped in near 100 deg. weather and had no major issue with the AC's keeping us comfortable, it helps when you start running the AC's before it gets to warm. Also, there are vents with sliders on the underside of the AC that can be opened up for better cooling but they add to the noise and take some airflow from the ducted vents away, you need to figure out what works best.
The temperature coming out of the vents should be close to freezing, measure it with an infrared ... (brain freeze ). Btw., the temperature difference between inside and outside should be roughly 20 deg. F with both AC's running, it helps to close the blinds and put "Reflectix" aluminum foil on the south and west side windows. If that doesn't help it's probably time to install a 3rd AC :-(.
The 2nd awning was supposed to be standard equipment on the 2014 models, I have no idea why it's not on your's. In my opinion it is not an option but a must have.
Try everything out and if you have more questions ask, the folks here are extremely helpful.
I would approach the dealer regarding the missing vacuum and the remote, they should be there.
Happy Camping
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140728_113400.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	431.4 KB
ID:	87187  
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:27 AM   #8

Quick update. There was a small black button behind the panel where the slide switches are. When I pushed it so the green light went off, my cable TV started working! Also behind that panel were two switches that operated the lights for the awning and the stairs. We're figuring this out as we go!
MatthewJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:20 PM   #9

I was just about to tell you that the CATV passed through that wine guard pushbutton switch. Does your 38RL have the control box in the ceiling to adjust the digital antenna. It is right before the bed. That is the second half of the digital tv antenna system. I purchased the portable Quest antenna for directv when we are camping. It is not SWM, so you have to have an older analog Directv box on multiswitch to use the quest auto antenna system.

The radius lights on the front, and the large scare patio light are both on switches either inside the door, or above it.

Second item, I am fighting with replacement of my steps. The bottom step pops and moves when you put weight on it. After a call with Lippert, My vin was tagged and they told me to have Tom Johnson camping center order another set of stairs.

By and large, All my systems are working very well, and my issues are mostly minor or cosmetic. This is looking to be a wonderful camper with the upgraded 215/75R17.5H tires that are put on these units. The water filter elements are available directly from WaterPure.com or from Forest River. Their contact number is on the housing.. Many have complained about the elements, but they have no paper to encourage bacteria growth!