RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-08-2015, 10:57 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchoverde View Post
I am using a two filterombo from RVWaterfilterstore.com I am very happy with it.

I think the OP is asking what type of filters do you have in the system?
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:07 AM   #42

Ok the sediment filter is 5 micron and the second one is a carbon filter
gauchoverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:17 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchoverde View Post
I am using a two filterombo from RVWaterfilterstore.com I am very happy with it.

Same here. One carbon and the other is a one micron sediment.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:20 PM   #44

Thanks for the quick replies. Since my space is confined, I am limited to the single canister option. Based on @lgray's response, I think I will go for the combination sediment/carbon filters. Most of my water usage is via the fresh water tank (no direct connection hookups at the campsites we frequent), and we do bring a separate container for drinking water. My main focus was to avoid forking out the $40 every season for a new filter. The smaller micron filtering and gpm improvements are bonus.

In case anybody wants to comment on usage experience, this is the filter that I'm planning on trying first:
https://www.filtersfast.com/P-Pentek...ter-Filter.asp

Thanks!
kwsutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:55 PM   #45

Soooooooooo, the Waterpur website doesn't even mention a micron filter level for their products, but we're supposed to believe it's a 5 micron filter because their salesman says so? I call BS on that one. Much like the supposed FR "quality control" program; it looks like smoke and mirrors to me. I'm converting to a reputable name brand willing to stand behind their products with hard facts.
danking49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:17 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by danking49 View Post
Soooooooooo, the Waterpur website doesn't even mention a micron filter level for their products, but we're supposed to believe it's a 5 micron filter because their salesman says so? I call BS on that one. Much like the supposed FR "quality control" program; it looks like smoke and mirrors to me. I'm converting to a reputable name brand willing to stand behind their products with hard facts.

When I called, I was told 30 Micron. With that Micron level, you would think their filter would provide better water flow, not so just the opposite.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:40 AM   #47
Green horn

Rsl

Was looking at the same company for my full rv system. I was going to go with the standard vs jumbo. Were you informed of a possible flow issue using the standard? That's my major concern at this point. Thank you for any input you can offer.
Stebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:26 PM   #48

Well, I'm convinced. I was about to order the KW1 filter from the supply company that ships for free then got to thinking about the many reports of the FR1 leaking or outright breaking. Ours has been in use since July 2015 without a problem but I decided to change to the Pentek 15862 housing and a 2 pack of DuPont WFPFC 8002 polyester/carbon cartridge. About $38 delivered. Got to do some kind of mod during the Winter downtime.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:29 AM   #49

I read that there is a tit on the KW1 unit that prevents other filters from being used. Is it on the filter or the housing and can it be removed?
retired Army combat vet
Greydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:44 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greydragon View Post
I read that there is a tit on the KW1 unit that prevents other filters from being used. Is it on the filter or the housing and can it be removed?
It's on the filter cartridge and fits into a recess in the filter housing. Basically, with the stock housing, you're stuck using the expensive cartridge.

The options as I see it are:

1. Use the expensive cartridge.
2. leave the filter housing empty and use an outside filter or nothing at all.
3. Change the filter housing to a standard brand like Pentek and use whatever less expensive cartridge you like.

Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:13 AM   #51

Greydragon, Here's a picture of the filter and the canister top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170619_110129.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	141934   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170619_110314.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	141935  
Keystoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:44 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmchapman View Post
Well, I'm convinced. I was about to order the KW1 filter from the supply company that ships for free then got to thinking about the many reports of the FR1 leaking or outright breaking. Ours has been in use since July 2015 without a problem but I decided to change to the Pentek 15862 housing and a 2 pack of DuPont WFPFC 8002 polyester/carbon cartridge. About $38 delivered. Got to do some kind of mod during the Winter downtime.
How did you mount your Pentek? I was looking at it on Amazon and it doesn't look like it has any mounting bracket that comes with it. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-03-2017, 09:56 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandK-M View Post
It's on the filter cartridge and fits into a recess in the filter housing. Basically, with the stock housing, you're stuck using the expensive cartridge.

The options as I see it are:

1. Use the expensive cartridge.
2. leave the filter housing empty and use an outside filter or nothing at all.
3. Change the filter housing to a standard brand like Pentek and use whatever less expensive cartridge you like.

Ray
The RV park we stay at in AZ over the winter has terrible water. I've been using an outside Camco filter (pretty expensive at $24) but it's only 100 micron and doesn't do much for the taste of the water or removing any chemicals. The water tastes terrible. We have been buying the reverse osmosis drinking water at the RV park. I was thinking of using the FR1 this year. Past years I've left the housing empty. Btw, how do you get the filter housing off. I've been cranking (counter-clockwise) pretty hard with the plastic wrench but can't seem to get it to release. Can I break anything by pulling/pushing too hard? Thanks in advance!
Old 09-03-2017, 10:25 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstaffon View Post
How did you mount your Pentek? I was looking at it on Amazon and it doesn't look like it has any mounting bracket that comes with it. Thanks in advance!

The original bracket is a close enough fit for the Pentek. The four screws go in at a slight angle but it works very well.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:26 PM   #55

Quote:
Btw, how do you get the filter housing off. I've been cranking (counter-clockwise) pretty hard with the plastic wrench but can't seem to get it to release. Can I break anything by pulling/pushing too hard? Thanks in advance!
Be sure and bleed all pressure before trying to remove the housing as even a little pressure will make it extremely difficult. Other than breaking or bending what the filter is mounted to, there should be nothing to break. If it does then the housing needed to be replaced because it is defective.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:31 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea49 View Post
Be sure and bleed all pressure before trying to remove the housing as even a little pressure will make it extremely difficult. Other than breaking or bending what the filter is mounted to, there should be nothing to break. If it does then the housing needed to be replaced because it is defective.
Is the housing threaded ... multiple turns ... or is it a 1/4 turn latch type connection? Sorry....not good with the terminology... Thanks.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:32 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmchapman View Post
The original bracket is a close enough fit for the Pentek. The four screws go in at a slight angle but it works very well.
Great... Thanks for the quick reply!
Old 09-03-2017, 11:50 PM   #58

Quote:
Is the housing threaded ... multiple turns ... or is it a 1/4 turn latch type connection? Sorry....not good with the terminology... Thanks.
If it is clear like mine you should be able to see it is threaded several times.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:19 AM   #59

Ive read the whole post and am a plumber 30 years..

About filters..

You will not get any bacteria/Cyst spors removed from any filter but RO. RO filters down to .0001 micron. The size of atomic radiation.

But these filters are only good for drinking because it takes long to make. It would be expensive to make a RV RO system for the whole coach.

As far as an RV is concerned what is it exactly you want to filter?

Its ridiculous IMO to have a 5 micron filter. And this is for flow reasons. It will just clog up too soon. many RV parks are fed by wells.

A human hair is 75 micron or so.

30 to 100 microns is sufficient for all your needs IMO

I only drink RO or bottled water at home, and bottled water while on the road..

See this chart..

Now the F1 filter is a good filter. 2.5 gpm is a good flow rate for this type of filter being a carbon filter.

But 5 micons is too low IMO especially with RV park water. But it dont say what micron level it is and I can find no info on this...

Why sacrifice flow with a 5 micron filter. It will clogg faster and force you to buy more filters. Look at the chart and tell me what you gain... I see no benefit.. And I been doing this 30 years.. 30 to 100 microns is sufficient for all your needs IMO

Now, taste and odor. Yes you need a carbon filter. I filter with carbon for odors only. I do not drink water from my tank, or any city water at RV park or tap. All city water is chlorinated and chlorination is linked bladder cancer I believe..

Carbon filters remove the chlorine if you are inclined to drink city water. Its the best thing you can do ..

GAC ( Granulated will channel at some point. Its best to buy/find a form or carbon block filter or coconut carbon or a combo of both. They both filter different things. Ones good for tannins and ones better at chlorine removal. And to try and find this in the 30 micron range may prove difficult at a good price point..

Coconut shell will be the more expensive of the bunch.. But again at a price..

So it depends if you drink the water, and/or what you want to eliminate.

So what do I get?

Cheapest 2 pack camcos. 100 micron, good flow, filter lasts me a year. Then I have one for the following year. I camp maybe 50 days out of the season. Takes chlorine out of water. Especially when boon docking at state parks with heavy chlorinated wells..

17 bucks..

Camco TastePURE Water Filter (KDF) (2-Pack)-40045 - The Home Depot

Walmarts is more @ 23 bucks.

Remember I dont drink the water..

If your full time and or drink the water its best to get a 25 micron GE whole house carbon. This is what I use in my Home. Its good for 30000 gallons and will probably last you more then a year.

I change mine at home yearly.

4 GPM filtered flow, but you can push 15 gpm through it..

GE Household Replacement Filter-FXHTC - The Home Depot

GE Household Replacement Filter-FXHTC - The Home Depot

So for 27 bucks filter replacement you get more bang for your buck. Its a GAC but not sure if a radical flow design...

The pentek filters from depot are 10 bucks more and are of radical flow design..

Pentek RFC-BB Radial-Flow Granular Activated Carbon Cartridge-PENTEK-RFC-BB - The Home Depot

get the cheaper pentek housing.

Pentek 150469 3/4 in. Whole House Water Filter System-PENTEK-HFPP-34-PR-10 - The Home Depot

Get hose adapters and one of those outdoor stands for it and be done..

Again what are you trying to accomplish with your filtering?

One last thing...

Use a table top RO filter to drink the water if not using bottled..

Apec makes the best units.. Make water, hook to Kitchen faucet, fill jug, then put away. Put jug in refridge..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._al_bw_c_x_3_w
Lawrosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:42 AM   #60

<Lawrosa> : Wow...thanks for the detailed reply. A lot to digest. Your chart looks "right on" compared to what I've seen elsewhere. I'm torn between double filtering, just using the F1, and just using an outside 100 micron Camco. With the availability of cheap RO water at the RV parks, I too wonder whether it's cost effective to run the F1 filter. I guess I'd like to keep crap from building up in my RV's water lines. The only time I drink the RV water is when I'm boon-docking and have cleaned and filled my fresh water tank with water from our home. If the lines get crapped up from other water sources it kind of defeats the purpose. I'm thinking an outside 100 micron filter at the water spigot will keep stuff out of my water lines...and double filtering may be an over kill. Boy...there's a lot to consider! Thanks to all who replied to my questions.

Tags
water, water filter