Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2015, 06:24 AM   #1

Trilogy shopping

Even though they are no longer being made we are looking at the ones still for sale brand new out there. So my question is would you still buy one? I did speak to a former rep from there and he said the factory still stands 100% behind them which is a good thing as most dealers that still have them are farther then the factory from us. He gave me the old song & dance that any Forest River dealer will work on them but we all know what really goes on. Thanks for any info or help.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:00 AM   #2

Before we bought our Trilogy we spent over a year looking at different makes and models. The Trilogy offered as standard features what most manufacturers offered as options. The 2015 models changed that with a large list of options that were standard in the 2014 and prior. Also the body style changed in 2015 eliminating what we would call the sleekness and going to straight sides and corners. I would replace ours with another Trilogy if something happened providing I could find a 2014 model.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:11 AM   #3

I have never returned to my selling dealer, the factory has never blinked at authorizing repairs from another facility. I would think that FR and Trilogy would like to keep their options open to possbily get back into the high-end fifth wheel market at a later date. Taking care of existing owners is a good way to ensure that.

Keep in mind, the models changed in 2015, from the rounded style with fiberglass roofs to the big box frames with rubber roofs. They also started to charge as options what came standard in the 2013 & 2014 models.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:28 AM   #4

I did to answer your question, I would also buy another 2013 or 2014, absent those two years, the only thing comparable in the market would be a Mobile Suite.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:32 AM   #5

We did like the older model ones but if I can get a great deal on a newer one I do think we will go with it.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
We did like the older model ones but if I can get a great deal on a newer one I do think we will go with it.
If you get a great deal, go for it. You can always add any options it didn't come with to make it your own. Good luck.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Even though they are no longer being made we are looking at the ones still for sale brand new out there. So my question is would you still buy one? I did speak to a former rep from there and he said the factory still stands 100% behind them which is a good thing as most dealers that still have them are farther then the factory from us. He gave me the old song & dance that any Forest River dealer will work on them but we all know what really goes on. Thanks for any info or help.
We "downgraded" from a Royals International and couldn't be happier. We had a few minor issues we wanted fixed before the warranty expired, so I contacted the selling dealer who got in touch with Dynamax who had a local Forest River dealer contact me, I haven't seen this level of customer support in a long time.
In a nutshell, If they ever pick up production again I will be the first in line for another Trilogy.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Rennie,

Anne-Marie and I walked through the Trilogy they had on display at Goshen last year. We were impressed! I was sad to hear that Trilogy was discontinued (did Dynamax give any reason why?) With the towable segment of the RV industry exploding--especially in the high-end, I am mystified why they would D/C such a fine rig.

Knowing you and your abilities AND knowing Forest River's repair policy (and the free maintenance you can get at Goshen ) I say go for it! Which floorplan are you and Beth considering? Anne-Marie and I really liked the 38RL that was on display last year!

Are you planning on getting you new rig before Goshen this year?
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:01 AM   #9

Even though we had a serious suspension issue on our 2014, I could not have asked for better support from Dynamax. Mark Quinn was terrific in responding to our questions and getting us parts for other minor issues. With that said, I would have to think long and hard about another purchase. While Dynamax makes an outstanding Super C Class coach, there are too many issues with their 5th wheel products in my opinion.

Unfortunately the reality of the RV manufacturing industry is poor quality control and cheap parts. Seems no matter what you pay for one, there are quality issues. Makes me wonder why I keep buying. I would never accept this type of work product from Ford, GM or Dodge.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
retamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:23 AM   #10

We purchased used. And we knew that we were buying an orphan. But like the others, we researched for a long time and found that Trilogy is the best bang for the buck. We love ours. And we would look for another if in the market again. But not a 2015. The fiberglass roof is important to us.

So far our interaction with customer service has been excellent.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua40j View Post
We purchased used. And we knew that we were buying an orphan. But like the others, we researched for a long time and found that Trilogy is the best bang for the buck. We love ours. And we would look for another if in the market again. But not a 2015. The fiberglass roof is important to us.

So far our interaction with customer service has been excellent.
Jim, really not an orphan. Forest River and Dynamax are still in business. They just stopped manufacturing 5th wheels.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:05 PM   #12

We have, in fact we're going to pick it up next Thursday. If you're looking for one, you might look at Fun Town in Cleburne, TX. They have several and are dealing.
Thumper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:29 PM   #13

We also purchased from Fun Town in Cleburne. They really do deal. The Service Department on the other hand is not so hot.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 05-16-2015, 07:52 PM   #14

2015 Trilogy 38WT

We drove almost 900 miles to buy our new home and are very happy with it. It doesn't have a fiberglass roof but the brite tech that we had in our motor home and prefer. We got it with options that we wanted and others that we added and still have it at a better price than the Mobile Suites and like it better than any Mobile Suites we looked at. It spent some time in an independent shop getting some adjustments that should have been done a t the factory and were not and my only complaint with Dynamax would be that they were a bit slower at approving the work than I would have liked. We bought the unit in February after looking at the Mobile Suites, Redwood, Lifestyle and many others. I don't know why they will discontinue the Trilogy, but we're very happy that we got one before they did.
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:54 AM   #15

StoneyG, would you mind sharing what adjustments? Just trying to know what to look for if we decide to get one, been reading all the past posts listing problems folks have had to inspect those areas during the walk thru, thanks. Also anyone else reading along feel free to chime in with things to check that you might have had issues with.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:40 AM   #16

Adjustments

Quote:
StoneyG, would you mind sharing what adjustments? Just trying to know what to look for if we decide to get one, been reading all the past posts listing problems folks have had to inspect those areas during the walk thru, thanks. Also anyone else reading along feel free to chime in with things to check that you might have had issues with.
Two of the three slide out toppers were too short making them start to pull out of the rails.

We opted to have a third AC and second awning added to the included prep packages. Some of the wiring was missing in the prep packages.

There are LED lights in the main awning that weren't wired correctly.

The dishwasher is incompatible with the generator inverter so a switch was added so that power to the dishwasher could be disconnected when the generator is running. If we don't have shore power we're not going to run the dishwasher anyway.

The top roller fixture for the closet door was improperly installed.

This is our 5th RV. We took it to a local trusted independent service dealer to add the AC and awning and he also gave it an inspection, looking for potential problems. If we were to buy a 6th the first thing I would do is to take it to a trusted service dealer and pay him what would be a modest amount in my opinion, to do an inspection to capture and correct problems with workmanship.
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:48 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Not to hijack Rennie's thread. There is a growth industry for RV Inspection and Repair, aka Mike Holmes of the RV Land. That money would be better spent than prep fees at dealers.

We also looked at the Trilogy for our next 5er but not at the time yet to buy a new TV and finance the trailer.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:57 AM   #18

Found this other forum thread related to roof choices. For our enviroment, full sun and salt air, fiberglass was an abosolute. Probably not as important in milder climates or for those that can keep it covered.

Brite Tec vs Fiberglass roofs
Old 05-17-2015, 08:35 AM   #19

Ok thanks so far, the ones we are looking at do not have toppers or 2nd awning, yet but if we go with it planned on trying to get it done at factory around the time of the FROG rally. Does not have a dishwasher plus the wife does not want it. Keep info coming, still trying to work our best deal.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:17 AM   #20

We just bought a 2015 trilogy 39fb and love it! Advice though.....be sure if you want a washer/dryer stackable to let them install it.....it's very difficult with the space you have to work with! Also, our paint is peeling around the top around where the sides wrap around to the roof. Dynamax said it will be covered under warranty but we live in it so its out of our pocket to pay for hotel costs while being repaired and getting someone to pull it there (we don't have a truck to pull it)! The nearest dealer from us is about 60-80 miles
brandonzinni is offline   Reply With Quote