Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2015, 08:08 AM   #1

Vent

Our 2015 36RL has a convection microwave in it. It does not have any vents to the outside. There is a fantastic fan directly over it. Is this a problem - should there be a vent to the outside?
Thumper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:37 AM   #2

I tried my best to get Dynamax to install an exterior vent for the microwave / oven. They absolutely refused to do this because of the shaped wall. Seems like a bit of a stretch on their part.

In the summertime, using the convection oven to cook anything just adds to our heat load and we cook with dinner. Adding a third AC (located between the front door and the window by the stairs) has improved it quite a bit, but still runs the temps up. Sometimes we oven the ceiling vent but no fan. Just trying to let the hot air rise and get outta the camper!

My warranty is up in Feb. Once the warranty is over, I will put in my own vent.

John
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter, Garnett See Level Tank Sensors, TST 507 TPMS
Retired USAF - Full Timers!
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:50 AM   #3

John, I thought about adding a vent just not sure about cutting a hole through the wall. Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:26 PM   #4

I previously owned a 2008 Cedar Creek 37RDQS. It did not come with a vent either. My dealer installed a vent, at my request, but did not do a good job. When I went to the Cedar Creek factory in Topeka, IN, I asked them to do it right.

The technician totally removed the microwave. He then proceeded to make the correct size hole in the wall, to include sawing a piece out of an aluminum stud. Now there was nothing to block the air flow leaving the camper. The new vent he put it worked great!

I plan to do the same and will probably replace the microwave at the same time. It just doesn't have enough power. Even popcorn scoffs at it!

John
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter, Garnett See Level Tank Sensors, TST 507 TPMS
Retired USAF - Full Timers!
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:29 PM   #5

John, thanks for the info. It's much appreciated
Old 08-25-2015, 07:04 PM   #6

Thumper, we replaced all 3 Fantastic fans with thermostat controlled MaxxAir fans with remote (long story) and we just set the thermostat on the fan over the cooktop 1 or 2 deg. C. over room temperature and the fan does the rest, it even opens and closes the lid. I don't see a problem with this bec. the range hood has a charcoal filter. I prefer this setup, it gives me complete control over the amount of air being exhausted.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:31 AM   #7

Cypressloser, thanks for the tip. I had not thought about replacing the fantastic fan with one controlled by a thermostat.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:32 PM   #8

No need to replace the fan, just replace the on/off switch with a thermostat. That is what we had in our Seville, worked great.
-lenny- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:45 AM   #9

Lenny, did you get the thermostat from fantastic fan?
Old 08-27-2015, 07:48 AM   #10

We have the same concerns with cooking and our dog. We wanted something that would convert our Fantastic Fan to allow for automatic temperature control.

I emailed Fantastic Fan Tech support about converting our fans from 2 switch controllers (on/off and dome up/down) to thermostatic controllers. I described them well but didn't climb up to confirm the model.

Their response was that they believed we had series 4100, 4150 or 4175. They do not have a conversion that has a t-stat controlled dome.

So, we're probably going to do what -lenny- did. Tie the on/off to a thermostat controller....similar to the heat only type in most trailers. And, according to my wife, try to make it look nice in the process.

She's in charge of aesthetic controls in our home and fifth wheel.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:11 AM   #11

We factory ordered our 3650 RL with 3 specific fans, the bedroom fan was an option in addition to the AC, it was delivered with the wrong fans installed (don't remember the model number) they could not be converted to work over a thermostat. Be careful to check the exact model number before you order.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:56 AM   #12

ua40j, I was afraid they did not make a conversion kit. They would rather sell you a new fan.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:59 AM   #13

I get that. But they supplied what Dynamax ordered.

In our specific case, the previous owners installed vent covers. They don't allow the dome to fully open. In a way, the thermostatically controlled switch probably wouldn't work for us without breaking something.

We'll leave the vent lid up and control the on/off switch with the thermostat.

Tags
vent