Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2014, 01:23 AM   #1

Water pump

We filled our fresh water tank and turned on the water pump three days ago. The temperature was too low to use the fresh water line as the hose would have frozen. The water pump froze and did not thaw for two days when the temperature finally reached 40 degrees.

Question: how can we keep this from happening? We considered wrapping it with a heat tape or putting a work light in the area for warmth. Has anyone tried this?

Wish we knew why Dynasty moved the water pump from the bay area where all other manufacturers put theirs.

JD
Freebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:00 PM   #2

JD,

Where is the pump located?

We are still waiting on ours to be delivered. It was delayed because of all the road closures in Illinois and Indiana.

John
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #3

It is at the back by the fresh water tank. There is a hole in the heater duct to heat that area if the furnace is on.
Priusron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:14 PM   #4

Right, it is super close to the back of the Trilogy. We use the furnace very seldom and got caught with a -3 degree temperature - abnormal for Arkansas. We would like to add a heat tape so that we will be worry free. Will be talking to the dealership next week when we go in for a water leak.

JD
Old 01-11-2014, 10:19 AM   #5

Your water lines also go through the heat duct in the floor. Run your furnace for 15 min and then turn on the kitchen cold water and feel the temp.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #6

JD,

We have our 2014 3850RL and had the fresh water freeze up twice so far. Exactly the same as yours. Only, the second time it happened I sent an email to my dealer and to Trilogy. Long story short... After two days of work at my dealer and a night in a motel, I have the Trilogy back, it is in the low 20's as I write this and all is well. My dealer did a lot of work to include relocating the pump, isolating it from the frame where it was mounted, adding insulation to the plumbing and sealing up air intrusions to the underbelly. Will post some pics in a few days.

Bottom line, notify John Armstrong and your dealer and tell them you want it fixed. They made it happen.

John
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:43 PM   #7

i look forward to the pictures. My dealer is 4 hrs away. I dont want to drive 8 hrs round trip to take it back and pick it up. John Armstrong is supplying the parts needed to repair my rig. I am just doing it better than what they would do.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hagen View Post
JD,

We have our 2014 3850RL and had the fresh water freeze up twice so far. Exactly the same as yours. Only, the second time it happened I sent an email to my dealer and to Trilogy. Long story short... After two days of work at my dealer and a night in a motel, I have the Trilogy back, it is in the low 20's as I write this and all is well. My dealer did a lot of work to include relocating the pump, isolating it from the frame where it was mounted, adding insulation to the plumbing and sealing up air intrusions to the underbelly. Will post some pics in a few days.

Bottom line, notify John Armstrong and your dealer and tell them you want it fixed. They made it happen.

John
We will try going this route. Our dealer must do some work on our landing jack already so maybe we could leave it there a couple of days. We are considering adding the "Cheap Heat" system; that would not fix the problem but it would allow us to heat the area without using propane (which seems to be going up, up, up).

Thanks for the fix.

JD

Tags
pump, water, water pump