Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2014, 09:37 PM   #1

Whole House Water Filter

We had such poor water flow that the Tecma toilet did not work properly. After learning that we would not only have to pay $30 for a filter but then pay shipping also, we decided to replace the entire unit. We bought a GE Model # GXWH20S from Home Depot. It was necessary to buy adapters also as the Trilogy water line is 1/2" and the filter is 3/4".

My DH easily removed the orginal system and installed the new one. It even came with a clamp to fasten it to the wall. (There are some systems we looked at that could use the same clamp as the Forest River.)

With the 3/4" line, this filter would have a flow rate of 12 gpm. Even with the reduction, the flow rate is phenomenal. You can buy cheap filters for just sediment (our choice as we already have a separate drinking line installed in the kitchen island where we use an expensive filter) or go to $19 or $26 better filters.

I could not believe the difference.

JD
Freebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:10 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

I just took the filter element out. Thinking seriously about turning the whole unit upside down and using it like a mini pressure tank, but we only carry about 5 gal in the fw tank to flush the toilet while on the road. We just don't do any dry camping. We have just this winter carry a full fw tank from Fawn Ridge to Thousand Trails Orlando as they have been having major water problems this year with Boil Water warnings quite often. When we leave TT to go to Fawn Ridge, we drain the tank completely the night before we leave. Only a 15 mile tow anyway, so no big deal.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:12 PM   #3

We left our filter out for two days while we searched for the housing we wanted. However, if the filter clogged after only two months, that meant some serious sediment was coming through the water lines so we would not consider leaving it out permanently. I don't believe the FW water flows through the filter system.

JD
Old 01-20-2014, 12:48 PM   #4

I used my factory filter for one year, then took it out. Filters from the supplier are too expensive and the location is in the basement which has already flooded because of a bad seal....just too risky for me. We will use the camco inline filters this year to remove sediment and for taste and odor. We always bring our own drinking water along so I am not to concerned with camp water quality.
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:51 PM   #5

I cannot imagine being able to use the filter for a year. Our filter had affected our Tecma to the point we could not change the water level. The Trilogy apparently works differently from other RVs.

JD
Old 01-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #6
Professional Curmudgeon

My filter comes from Lowe's. I simply equipped it with fittings to connect inline with the fresh water hose exterior to the camper. This way I am using the same filter for city supplied water or to fill my tank. Also, filter changes are outside, with lots of elbow room, where spills don't matter, rather than under a cabinet, and filter elements are quite inexpensive.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirds2831 View Post
We had such poor water flow that the Tecma toilet did not work properly. After learning that we would not only have to pay $30 for a filter but then pay shipping also, we decided to replace the entire unit. We bought a GE Model # GXWH20S from Home Depot. It was necessary to buy adapters also as the Trilogy water line is 1/2" and the filter is 3/4".

My DH easily removed the orginal system and installed the new one. It even came with a clamp to fasten it to the wall. (There are some systems we looked at that could use the same clamp as the Forest River.)

With the 3/4" line, this filter would have a flow rate of 12 gpm. Even with the reduction, the flow rate is phenomenal. You can buy cheap filters for just sediment (our choice as we already have a separate drinking line installed in the kitchen island where we use an expensive filter) or go to $19 or $26 better filters.

I could not believe the difference.

JD
I have a been curious about the whole house filter in our Trilogy. I am not ready to change the entire unit out. Would you mind sharing the manufacture name and model information? Who sells them and/or can you order through? We have camped about 30 days in ours and it has already turned tan to brown in color.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:39 PM   #8

I need to correct an error in GPM on the original post - the website said 12 gpm. That is wrong. But the gpm of 4 gives wonderful water flow. No complaints after using it for over a week. Much better than the KW1.

Igray - it is a GE Model # GXWH20S from Home Depot and was totally easy to install. The tan coloring is not a problem - water flow is affected when the filter needs changing. The Trilogy filter system is different from other Forest River products. We totally recommend changing out the system in all Trilogies (Trilogys?)

JD
Old 01-23-2014, 11:10 PM   #9

I removed mine from under the sink area and made a bracket outside so the original bracket drops into it for support. While camping it resides on the side of the trailer just a little ways from the city water inlet, connected with a short outlet hose. The inlet hose comes from the spigot to it. Replacement filters are about $8- on line and we sanitize the whole shebang and replace the filter before each trip. Works great and I don't have to fool with it when winterizing.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water filter