Old 11-26-2019, 12:01 AM   #81

The valve will seal gas, so no problem sealing fluid during transport. No comment regarding regulations...
DavidWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 12:31 AM   #82

WOW!!!! This thread has been an eye opener for me. I have never thought about it before, (Iím calling it ignorance now), but, I have been hauling a 20# tank on its side and in the storage compartment of my RV for several years. I feel so lucky that nothing has happened. I really appreciate all of you and all of the information you have contributed on this thread and to other threads on the forum. Thank you so very much for all your knowledge.
Vicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 12:54 AM   #83

I manage a shipping dock with 13 propane powered forklifts. The tanks are on their side all day. They are stored in a metal rack outside year round, on their sides when they are placed there by the propane tank delivery guy until we utilize them. Never had an issue.

That said, I have one of these that I use to transport a 30 lb tank in the bed of my truck when we go camping as an extra tank to hook the three burner outdoor stove to along with a propane coleman lantern on a stem.

https://smile.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-2...%2C135&sr=8-29

Cheap solution, Gives it a steady base to stand up without having to be tied down since I block and brace it in the bed of the truck with other items. also takes up less room in the bed standing vs. on it's side.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:26 AM   #84

No itís not safe, also DOT does not allow.
Rdgillilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:54 AM   #85

No matter how many regulations or safety notices are given; like anything else one cannot protect anyone from themselves.
;-)
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 09:50 AM   #86

Very good answers for and against your situation! Most important information you can have is this: Rules are made to be broken!
tonys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 03:20 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adony View Post
Is it safe to transport a 30 lb propane bottle on its' side after refilling? It is to tall to carry in the trunk from the refilling station back to the trailer?
Just make sure it does not roll all over the trunk and possibly puncture or severly dent the bottle you should be fine. Let the bottle "settle" for a few minutes after standing upright. Remember, stored as a liquid, used as a gas.
bzac1954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:21 PM   #88

Why oh why?

I always smoke in bed and have NEVER had a problem. And when putting gas in my car I just hold my cigar a ways away. So if you're careful you'll be fine.

There are good reasons to transport upright. Ignore at you own risk.
rdavidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:02 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavidd View Post
I always smoke in bed and have NEVER had a problem. And when putting gas in my car I just hold my cigar a ways away. So if you're careful you'll be fine.

There are good reasons to transport upright. Ignore at you own risk.
And there are many who drive drunk and never have a problem, and many who go bungee jumping and never have a problem, and a smaller number that have gone into space and never had a problem .....until that one time.

To each their own.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:03 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post
I was told once there is some form of oil or similar in the bottom of the tanks. Might be actual petroleum since that's where it comes from and that it can damage stuff if it gets into the system. But just for transport that would not be an issue. I've never confirmed if this is true so don't hold me to it but there'd be no reason for him to make it up. That was a LONG time ago though, prior to the OPD's that we have now.
I think what you are referring to is hauling acetylene tanks on their sides. Don't know if they still do, but back in the day they could explode when transported on their side.
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:09 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by koller1509 View Post
I think what you are referring to is hauling acetylene tanks on their sides. Don't know if they still do, but back in the day they could explode when transported on their side.
Never heard that about acetylene tanks as have seen them hauled that way. However, it's true of anything with freon like a refrigerator or window A/C.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:09 PM   #92

Fork lifts

Anyone familiar with propane fueled fork lifts would notice that all propane tanks on forklifts are mounted horizontally. Just sayin.
Turtle47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:19 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle47 View Post
Anyone familiar with propane fueled fork lifts would notice that all propane tanks on forklifts are mounted horizontally. Just sayin.
Fork lifts are designed to run on liquid propane ... not vapor propane like gas grills, etc. The difference is in the dip tube inside the tank.
Using a fork lift propane tank on a gas grill and you could cause a huge explosion and or blow out the regulator.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:00 PM   #94

In personally never put a propane cylinder in an enclosed trunk. I place cylinder on floor in back seat and securely lock in place by moving passenger seat back. If there is ever a tank leak issue I want to smell it and do something about it rather than have it in an enclosed trunk and possibly not know until it's too late.
KD7N73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 05:15 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota 1120 View Post
Never heard that about acetylene tanks as have seen them hauled that way. However, it's true of anything with freon like a refrigerator or window A/C.
It has something to do with the acetone that is supposed to settle to the bottom of the tank. They say to let them stand vertical for a few hours before using them or the acetone goes BOOM!!!
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:36 PM   #96

To me it ovious that every tank is designed with a top and bottom and proper way to haul it down the road.
7 20 30 lbs tanks seen in RV's are basically the same vertical design.

Forklifts are designed to be used horizontal with a pin locating them in a specific location on the lift, but its easy to have them vertical in storage and shipping, and in their designed scenario horizontal with the important bits at the top.

permanently mounted tanks are the same,, this isn't supposed to be complicated.

Years ago I worked for a rental place I picked up 15 empty 100Lb tanks, brought them back and filled every last one of them the next morning so we could bill out the customer, come mid day every last tank was venting off I bet I filled them at 40 degrees outside and mid day was about 75... Needless to say everyone stayed away from these tanks. until the plum was gone.

So in a car right after you filled them... not the best idea in my book.

Please note I suspect the 80% float valves you see in the 20lb and 30lb tanks I suspect were implemented simply to keep people safe as people would put them in cars.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:07 PM   #97
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Yup ... milk crates are the way to go. Easy to transport (filling) and easy to secure in the belly of the Class A. Safest and easiest way to go.
daverule is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane