Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2016, 08:43 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman6674 View Post
If that manifold is after the change over regulator it is low pressure (11"wc/6.35oz)
If your coleman grill uses throw away bottles it might be high pressure. If the temp control is on the "regulator" the bottle connects to its high pressure. If you have flame/temp controls on the front of the grill it might be low pressure. As for the manifold you should be able to remove the flare cap and add a flare extension hose or soft copper line to where you want the quick connect. Be sure to leak check your work with soapy water after you are done. There are a bunch of threads on here on adding quick disconnects and modifying grills you can review if you like. I was able to purchase a low pressure grill from home depot for mine and it works great, Lowes also carries one. Good luck
I'm not sure exactly which grill I have. I'll have to pull it out and post pictures of it here. Thanks!
Bangback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:01 PM   #22

Smile Propane grill

Learned from my sons trailer experience. His new 2015 pioneer came with a quick release propane valve attached to the trailer. Now hecwent bought a Coleman grill and wanted to get direct propane from trailer, BUT he soon found out the travel trailer along with portable grill also has a regulator so it's impossible to run 2 regulators as the trailer valve is low presure regulator and the grill is high pressure. So he needed to bypass the trailer regulator and purchase from Camco a adapter to go directly from propsne tank to grill. Luckily Walmart has this bypass valve on there .com site online order. Worked fine . Let me know if you need the part number etc, and i can post a photo of it. Thanks Happy Travels
justpassinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:22 PM   #23
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

A bunch of youtubes will show you how, but the most favored solution is to just remove the regulator from the grill. I did and all worked perfect. By the way, Coleman and others now also sell "low pressure" grill models.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:59 AM   #24

I did a similar mod to my trailer (Apex 288BHS) so I could connect my Weber Q (modded to remove the regulator and add a quick connect).

The manifold under the camper was capped like yours. Removing the cap revealed a 3/8" flared fitting. I thought about removing the entire fitting, but it was so tight I didn't want to break anything. I just bought a hose from Menards that has a 3/8" flared female fitting and a 1/4" male fitting that I connected to a quick connect valve I got in Amazon.

Here is my thread with some details:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1121560
Old 05-04-2016, 05:45 PM   #25

Ok, I'm still waiting for it to stop raining and for the weather to get better before I climb underneath and see exactly what kind of connectors I have. In the meantime, here is the Coleman grill that came with the Freedom Express.

My RV dealer told me however that the Coleman grill will require a higher input pressure than what the Freedom Express will put out after its regulator. So is all this just a lost cause then with the Coleman grill?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3198.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	322.7 KB
ID:	106894   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3199.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	320.4 KB
ID:	106895   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3204.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	106896   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3206.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	461.5 KB
ID:	106897   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3207.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	404.0 KB
ID:	106898  

Old 05-05-2016, 08:45 AM   #26
Old Enough to Know Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangback View Post
Ok, I'm still waiting for it to stop raining and for the weather to get better before I climb underneath and see exactly what kind of connectors I have. In the meantime, here is the Coleman grill that came with the Freedom Express.

My RV dealer told me however that the Coleman grill will require a higher input pressure than what the Freedom Express will put out after its regulator. So is all this just a lost cause then with the Coleman grill?
No you just need to tie in between the tank and regulator and run tank pressure to your grill.
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:07 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman6674 View Post
No you just need to tie in between the tank and regulator and run tank pressure to your grill.
It looks like some kind of proprietary fitting that screws into the Coleman grill. Does anyone know if there's a fitting that converts that into a normal threaded connection so I can bypass the regulator and just hook it straight in with a hose?
Old 05-05-2016, 09:19 AM   #28
Old Enough to Know Better

On your grill the "regulator" is also the flame control.
You will need a hose that has the male disposable bottle thread on one end and male POL on the other. They are available on line usually in 12ft lengths. You will also need the necessary fittings to tie in between the tank and the regulator. Also available on line. If you don't feel comfortable doing this contact your local LP Gas dealer and they can usually set you up.
Your other option is to sell this grill and purchase a low pressure grill. I bought mine at Home depot, Lowes also sells one and I believe Camping world has one. A low pressure unit is going to have a regulator that is similar to a full size grill and will have flame control knobs on the grill.

Good Luck
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:10 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
That looks like a flared adapter to me. If I am right, you would need to run Type "L" soft copper from there to your termination where you would use another flared adapter to connect to your quick connect fitting.

Bruce
If you remove the cap is there going to be gas coming out or anything to be concerned about? I have never done anything with gas lines like this. Thanks
Old 06-13-2016, 09:39 AM   #30

Mine has a shutoff valve where the cap is. It has a quick connect/disconnect that I use to connect a gas line to my bumper mounted grill. I open the valve on the RV and close the valve that connects to the grill.

Duane & Jan
2016 Crusader 295RST FW
2011 Toyota Tundra iForce 5.7 Limited Double Cab 6 speed automatic 4.10 gears
djeirlessr is offline   Reply With Quote