Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2021, 04:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Marie Curie worked with radium many (MANY) times, and she died from radiation poisoning. Just sayin'.

It looks like FAS and 5picker have the right idea to convert the grill to a low pressure LP gas supply.
Lol. Point taken!
Thank you!

'21 Dynamax Force HD 37BH
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 04:01 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolland View Post
Are you able to remove the regulator from the camp stove? I had to do this on my Weber Q grill to run it off low pressure.
If it's removable we haven't figured it out. It's a Coleman RoadTrip X-Cursion.

Old 05-20-2021, 04:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
If you're hell-bent to connect to the high pressure side and use the regulator that comes with your grill, so be it. But there's no reason to do this.

Instead, REMOVE the regulator from your grill or other appliance and replace it with a variety of options.

Option 1 is best. In place of the regulator, attach a male quick connect and a hose with a female quick connect.
Male/Female quick connects: https://smile.amazon.com/DOZYANT-Pro...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Hose: https://smile.amazon.com/Propane-Con...NsaWNrPXRydWU= Note that the hose already comes with a male quick connect to marry up to the low pressure propane spigot built into most RVs.
Both are illustrations, not recommendations. My female doesn't have the shut-off (there's one on the rig), and my hose is only 10'. Also, if you're planning to use the short hose connected to your grill, you may need a male quick connect with a female attachment. All of this stuff exists.

Now, buy one more male quick connect and stuff it into the open port on your appliance's regulator so you can quickly re-add the regulator if you want to run off a 20# propane bottle.

Other options? Perhaps, but option 1 is the way to go.

PS, don't adapt a fire pit to run this way. Why? Fire pits consume 58,000 BTU...about the max a propane tank can deliver. They draw so much that the tanks often ice up on the outside, which then slows or stops the conversion of propane liquid to gas...and starves the appliance. If you pull this much energy from your onboard propane plumbing, your fridge, stove, furnace, hot water heater and so on will starve for fuel while competing with the propane fire pit. 'Nuff said on that.

Did you explain why you want to go high pressure already? If so I missed it, and my answer may be helpful to others. The key point is that the regulator attached to your appliance is NOT welded on. It can be removed to allow the appliance to connect to the low pressure system supplying the rest of your coach.

The regulator does NOT appear to be removable- it's one solid piece built in to the starter and everything - otherwise option one would definitely be our preferred choice. I'll see if I can get a pic real quick.

Old 05-20-2021, 04:23 PM   #24

Propane Connection

This is the kit I bought to connect my Weber grill to the TT quick disconnect.This connection is supplied from the regulated tanks. I removed but kept the regulator from the Weber in case I want to use it with a small 1 pound tank as a portable grill. As others have said, you cannot have a regulator feeding a regulator.

Even if you don't want all the parts in a kit like this, it might give you an idea of what the various parts are called.

https://www.amazon.com/M-B-Sturgis-I...gateway&sr=8-1
Old 05-20-2021, 04:25 PM   #25

Not sure if or where you can get these fitting in the US but Fairview has everything you need. http://www.fairviewfittings.com/cata...f/flipbook.pdf

BTW, something wrong with the fitting in the photo. Regulators typically are 3/8 NPT connections both sides and mounted to rig with flex connection to bottle on inlet side and flex or hard piped on outlet to feed rig.
Steamfitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 05:07 PM   #26

this is the list I used to purchase fittings from amazon to adapt my Coleman Roadtrip grill to low pressure ( removing the Coleman regulator) and making an adapter to go to the low pressure line on the outside of my Shamrock. Been working now for 5 years...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	propane adapter 01.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	254994  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 05:37 PM   #27

messed with this on two rigs. Eliminating the regulator at the grille is the best choice, substitute with an ADJUSTABLE regulator, makes a HUGE difference. However the length and diameter of hose is critical. Since this is now LOW pressure gas it doesn't have as much pressure to overcome the friction loss in the hose so the fire doesn't get as hot. I boiled a steak and burger or two before I figured this out. I went up to 3/8 hose and only 25' (harbor freight), and it works OK. I've got everything set up with quick connects, works great, no leaks. I've also got one rigged up to go directly to the bottle, either on the rig or a loose bottle.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:22 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
If you're hell-bent to connect to the high pressure side and use the regulator that comes with your grill, so be it. But there's no reason to do this.

Instead, REMOVE the regulator from your grill or other appliance and replace it with a variety of options.

Other options? Perhaps, but option 1 is the way to go.

Did you explain why you want to go high pressure already? If so I missed it, and my answer may be helpful to others. The key point is that the regulator attached to your appliance is NOT welded on. It can be removed to allow the appliance to connect to the low pressure system supplying the rest of your coach.
So we don’t think the regulator is removable as it’s wired in to the igniter (and idk what else) but it appears that it can’t be detached without damaging the grill. Coleman Roadtrip excursion. Here’s a pic, but idk if it shows anything helpful.
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2021, 06:38 PM   #29

here is a 12 foot hose

de-attach the trailer regulator and attach this to the trailer tank then to the grill... use the trailer tanks for the grill... it is a 12 foot hose... you may be able to find a longer one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	propaneHP  ext hose.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	255008  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:51 PM   #30

Add an extended stay kit to the outlet of the tank before the regulator and then get the hose that rs data shows.
Should work just fine.
Old 05-20-2021, 07:01 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamfitter View Post
Not sure if or where you can get these fitting in the US but Fairview has everything you need. http://www.fairviewfittings.com/cata...f/flipbook.pdf

BTW, something wrong with the fitting in the photo. Regulators typically are 3/8 NPT connections both sides and mounted to rig with flex connection to bottle on inlet side and flex or hard piped on outlet to feed rig.
That’s a very helpful link to have, thank you.
And yes, you’re right- 5picker pointed out earlier that we had a low pressure quick connect there.

Old 05-20-2021, 09:53 PM   #32

Contact the folks at www.propanegear.com. They might carry what you will need to use instead of the regulator on your camp stove. I know that they carry what I needed for our Blackstone griddle.
2012 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
2021 Ford F-250 Super Duty
OscarsMom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:18 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarsMom2 View Post
Contact the folks at www.propanegear.com. They might carry what you will need to use instead of the regulator on your camp stove. I know that they carry what I needed for our Blackstone griddle.
Ooo. Thank you! That’s a great resource!

Tags
propane