Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2017, 01:15 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 526
Propane Sensors

The plastic feet came with mine. I had read that they were not good, so I too cut some plywood bases with the center cut for the sensor. As I stated in an earlier comment, over a year now, and I am totally happy. Only one improvement I can think of is to be able to turn them off when not in use. Changing batteries every year is a big pain!
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:13 PM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 55
I have a fiver marinerjoe, so my tanks are in dry compartments. I haven't had any condensation issues inside the compartments (touch wood) to date but it is something I will keep my eye open for.
Larry Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:12 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
TimVWulp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by cody1884 View Post
The aluminum ones came with mine. Will not stay on the tanks. Lost half of them the first month. Mine show tanks emty a week before they are and full a week are so after using it. Not very accurate but close.
Are you using the remote that they provided with the sensors? If you are it is set up for 20 LB tanks. It will show full for a long time if you have it attached to a 30 or 40 LB tank because it is looking for a 20 LB tank. If you are using a smart phone with blue tooth you will need to connect and set the tank size. Now the phone will show the right tank volume but the remote that came from tank check will not. Still set for 20 LB it is a dumb remote ans can not be calibrated.
I really like this product It works as advertised with the blue tooth on a smart phone.

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:10 AM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hernando beach Florida
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVWulp View Post
Are you using the remote that they provided with the sensors? If you are it is set up for 20 LB tanks. It will show full for a long time if you have it attached to a 30 or 40 LB tank because it is looking for a 20 LB tank. If you are using a smart phone with blue tooth you will need to connect and set the tank size. Now the phone will show the right tank volume but the remote that came from tank check will not. Still set for 20 LB it is a dumb remote ans can not be calibrated.
I really like this product It works as advertised with the blue tooth on a smart phone.

Hope this helps Tim
Thank you . I did not know that.
cody1884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:34 AM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hernando beach Florida
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVWulp View Post
Are you using the remote that they provided with the sensors? If you are it is set up for 20 LB tanks. It will show full for a long time if you have it attached to a 30 or 40 LB tank because it is looking for a 20 LB tank. If you are using a smart phone with blue tooth you will need to connect and set the tank size. Now the phone will show the right tank volume but the remote that came from tank check will not. Still set for 20 LB it is a dumb remote ans can not be calibrated.
I really like this product It works as advertised with the blue tooth on a smart phone.

Hope this helps Tim
I just checked and I have gen. 1 so set at 20 lb. Tank on monitor makes sense. Do you know if the sensors I have will work with the app. ? Checked on line but didn't find an answer.
cody1884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:50 AM   #26
Who Dares, Wins
 
doc73's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Chester County, PA
Posts: 6,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVWulp View Post
Are you using the remote that they provided with the sensors? If you are it is set up for 20 LB tanks. It will show full for a long time if you have it attached to a 30 or 40 LB tank because it is looking for a 20 LB tank. If you are using a smart phone with blue tooth you will need to connect and set the tank size. Now the phone will show the right tank volume but the remote that came from tank check will not. Still set for 20 LB it is a dumb remote ans can not be calibrated.
I really like this product It works as advertised with the blue tooth on a smart phone.

Hope this helps Tim
Interesting but makes sense. I have two 30's, since they read full a while longer (they do hold more propano) once it lowers a bit does it start to read fairly accurate? They look like a taller 20lbs cylinder so I might think when they reach that 20lbs level it might read more accurate?
__________________

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:45 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
BandJCarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Between Pickles Gap and Toad Suck, AR
Posts: 6,070
I don't know how accurate mine are at the FULL level for 30 lb tanks........no way to know for sure. But they are accurate as they approach zero, which is all I got them for.
__________________
"Next to prayer, fishing is the most personal relationship of man" Herbert Hoover
"American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God"Lewis Grizzard

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:52 AM   #28
Who Dares, Wins
 
doc73's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Chester County, PA
Posts: 6,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I don't know how accurate mine are at the FULL level for 30 lb tanks........no way to know for sure. But they are accurate as they approach zero, which is all I got them for.
My question was long winded but pretty much all I would want it for as well.
__________________

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 04:30 PM   #29
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hernando beach Florida
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by cody1884 View Post
I just checked and I have gen. 1 so set at 20 lb. Tank on monitor makes sense. Do you know if the sensors I have will work with the app. ? Checked on line but didn't find an answer.
Set up the app. on my phone, set to 30 lb. tanks and so far all is good. Thanks for the info
cody1884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:30 PM   #30
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Aurora, illinois
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyQ View Post
Has anyone tried the AP sensor on a motorhome with a large horizontal LP tank? Their webpage says it is possible. Link here.....
Products Mopeka Products, LLC
I am also curious whether this would work for a horizontal tank on a motorhome? I watched the YouTube video and they just zip tied the sensor below the tank.

Thanks,

Shirley
__________________
David and Shirley
2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
shirleyj62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:23 AM   #31
Member
 
david_reaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 368
Shirley,

We just set up a monitor on my sisters horizontal tank. You have to be "very" careful to get the sensor pad on the exact bottom of the curve of the horizontal tank. We used a dab of Vaseline to be sure there was good conductivity. Then, using your smartphone and the ap, you configure the software for the diameter of your tank. The sensor reads the depth of the LPG liquid as a percentage of full. If it is tilted one way or the other, it reads "deeper" than it should since the sensor is angled. Once we were sure it was angled straight, we fastened the sensor more permanently with a couple of strips of duct tape. (can't glue it since the battery has to be changed every year or so).

It works very well on her tank.
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:26 AM   #32
Member
 
david_reaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by cody1884 View Post
The aluminum ones came with mine. Will not stay on the tanks. Lost half of them the first month.
Look at about 1:01 on the linked YouTube. If you tap the aluminum feet on the base where the oval holes are in the tank rim they will stay attached better.

david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:01 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyj62 View Post
I am also curious whether this would work for a horizontal tank on a motorhome? I watched the YouTube video and they just zip tied the sensor below the tank.

Thanks,

Shirley
I'm guessing the sensor would "work," in that the sensor would sense the level in the tank and see that it's dropping. What it senses it the surface of the liquid in the tank.

The problem is that when you have a horizontal tank, the volume of gas in the tank is not linear as it is in a vertical tank, due to the curve of the tank as the level drops.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horizontal tank level.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	159368

So it would tell you a % value, but it won't be reality. The volume of gas between 0% and 20% is a lot less than the volume between 20% and 40%.
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:30 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I'm guessing the sensor would "work," in that the sensor would sense the level in the tank and see that it's dropping. What it senses it the surface of the liquid in the tank.

The problem is that when you have a horizontal tank, the volume of gas in the tank is not linear as it is in a vertical tank, due to the curve of the tank as the level drops.
Attachment 159368

So it would tell you a % value, but it won't be reality. The volume of gas between 0% and 20% is a lot less than the volume between 20% and 40%.
I see in post 21 that it has software to deal with a horizontal tank, so ignore my post.
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:59 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
ben31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Middle GA
Posts: 1,289
I installed the Mopeka dual sensor with the monitor. Installation was fairly straight forward, but did take some tweaking. Syncing them with the monitor turned out to be much easier than syncing with the app. One sensor I could not get to sync with the app, but connected instantly to the monitor. Therefore, I chose to use the monitor.

I installed the monitor under the command center with a couple of 3M Command Hook wall adhesive pads. It works well and almost immediately picked up the correct level of the propane. To use it, you just push the button for the tank you are checking (1 or 2).

It is probably better to use the monitor, anyway, since I have heard a lot of reviews, which said the app drains their phone battery a lot quicker.

Thanks for the suggestion!
__________________
Ben and Doreen
Home Away From Home - 2017 PT Crusader 315RST
TV - 2016 Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:19 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 526
Propane Tank Sensors

I've used these tank sensors now for about 2 years....got them right after they came out. Have the main readout in the little compartment for all my other tank readouts and controls. Have the app on my iPad, and love it. I can even read the tank levels when in my house, about 60 feet away. Only problem is, you have to change the batteries every couple years.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:19 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
BandJCarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Between Pickles Gap and Toad Suck, AR
Posts: 6,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post
I installed the Mopeka dual sensor with the monitor. Installation was fairly straight forward, but did take some tweaking. Syncing them with the monitor turned out to be much easier than syncing with the app. One sensor I could not get to sync with the app, but connected instantly to the monitor. Therefore, I chose to use the monitor.

I installed the monitor under the command center with a couple of 3M Command Hook wall adhesive pads. It works well and almost immediately picked up the correct level of the propane. To use it, you just push the button for the tank you are checking (1 or 2).

It is probably better to use the monitor, anyway, since I have heard a lot of reviews, which said the app drains their phone battery a lot quicker.

Thanks for the suggestion!
App gives more info, and is more accurate as 30 lb tanks can be chosen. The monitor is set for 20 lb tanks. FWIW, my two 30 lb tanks are right now at 28% and 100%.

If the app drains my battery, I just charge it. LOL
__________________
"Next to prayer, fishing is the most personal relationship of man" Herbert Hoover
"American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God"Lewis Grizzard

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:43 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 103
On 30 lb tanks you have to rely on the app over the monitor, but they do work very well and are quite accurate.
sbpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
check, tank

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 PM.