Old 01-07-2020, 12:00 AM   #1

Augment 2 x 20# tanks with an external

We have just bought a new Sabre 37FLH which comes with 2 x 20# tanks. Our previous rig had 2 x 30# tanks. It doesn't look as though 30# tanks will fit easily in the compartment, plus they are getting a little heavy for me to lug around, especially if they will need to be "persuaded" to fit.

Is it possible to add an external 30# tank to the system using something like Extend a Stay or Stay Longer and where would this connect to the RV system?

Thanks
ex-egll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:45 AM   #2

most the extend-a-stay products I have seen work well with a down stream regulator. Given I assume you have a pigtail arrangement to an automatic change over regulator you may want to do what I have done in the past while the rig was in winter storage in my shop. I take a 10' propane extension connection it to one side of the pigtail and then to my 100 lb bottle same could be done with the 30 that leaves me with one factory tank full and secured and the auto change over connected to the 100 lb and the factory 30 has worked great for me something to consider.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:50 AM   #3
Head Rambler

It's certainly possible to add an external cylinder, but are you sure that you're going to need it? We have two 20lb cylinders and they've never been a problem. I always carry a couple extra cylinders with us so if we were to empty one I could just swap it out with one of the spares.

Those adapters install between an existing cylinder and the regulator, so there's no change to the system.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:08 AM   #4

I think each state has it's own, and varying, regulations on number of tanks or total amount of propane you can carry. Better check!
DES-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:11 PM   #5

Two options

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
most the extend-a-stay products I have seen work well with a down stream regulator. Given I assume you have a pigtail arrangement to an automatic change over regulator you may want to do what I have done in the past while the rig was in winter storage in my shop. I take a 10' propane extension connection it to one side of the pigtail and then to my 100 lb bottle same could be done with the 30 that leaves me with one factory tank full and secured and the auto change over connected to the 100 lb and the factory 30 has worked great for me something to consider.
You can either use an extension or simply replace the short pigtail to one of the tanks with a 6-foot pigtail.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:33 PM   #6

Never needed more tha 2 tanks.

Unless you are planning on going a month without a propane refill you will never run through 2 tanks. If you are camping in the winter time and have access to power the do two things: get a couple of electric space heaters and get a large (able to handle) propane and a hose extension to connect to it.

Propane fridges use very little propane, ovens even less (not on all the time), BUT furnaces are thirsty.
TV: 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
Honda EU2000i Generator, 200 Watts Solar
Ham Callsign KD7UM
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:18 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies. After a bit more research it looks as though the rig comes with 20lb tanks in storage areas that are plenty tall enough for 30# tanks, so it looks like I'll build up my muscles and go that way.

We do our camping in the winter months in Southern Alabama where it can get cool at night (below freezing) and cool days (below 50F) so the 20# tanks would require more refilling.
ex-egll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank