Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2011, 08:29 AM   #1

auto changeover regulator

My regulator never turns red. The tank in use goes empty and it switches to the other tank but stays green,next I have both tanks empty and it is still green. After I took both tanks to fill , I returned and the indicator was red. Anyone else had this problem or do I just need to replace the regulator.
bill and theresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:48 AM   #2
Site Team

I'd replace it. Our original one had a small square window and it wouldn't change sometimes so I replaced it with one that has a flag on the front that rotates and haven't had a problem with it.

There's also a proper procedure for setting the regulator so it'll change when the primary cylinder is empty. I know that if you don't follow the procedure the flag won't change colors.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
CampeRooo

I agree, I think I would change it out too. I had to change mine out two years ago, it was not changing colors either...but come to find out, it had a leak at the top of the bubble. Not a very big one, but enough that when I opened the cover lid, I could smell propane...but never inside the trailer itself. Our front bunk sits right over the top of those bottles too, so I'm glad I found that when i did.

Joe

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Be aware that there needs to be a lose of pressure in the line before the red indicator will show. I test mine every now and then by cutting the propane bottles off, and I have to run the stove a minute or so before the indicator shows up.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
Site Team

If it's working correctly, you only have to lose pressure in the primary cylinder. Once that happens it throws up the flag & switches to the other cylinder.

You then take the empty cylinder and have it refilled and then replace it and switch the lever to the other cylinder, making it the primary cylinder and the flag should go back green.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:43 PM   #6

I understand how it is supposed to work but the indicator never turns green. The indicator is in the handle, not on top like all the others I have had. I think Iwill just order another one and change it out.
bill and theresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:25 PM   #7

Those auto regulators don't last that long. Just get a new one
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #8
I tut I taw a puddi tat

Not all regulators are equal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill and theresa View Post
My regulator never turns red. The tank in use goes empty and it switches to the other tank but stays green,next I have both tanks empty and it is still green. After I took both tanks to fill , I returned and the indicator was red. Anyone else had this problem or do I just need to replace the regulator.
It sounds like your regulator dial flag was installed upside down at the factory. You are getting exactly opposite readings from what you should be when you do what you say in your posts. The basic position of what is just a cardboard red on top and green on the bottom s/be red because when there is no pressure coming from the EMPTY tank, there is nothing to lift the colored board. When there is pressure coming from a FULL tank, the pressure flowing by pushes the board up so its top red part disappears and instead you see the green bottom part of the board. Yours seems to be working exactly upside down.

I'll bet your regulator is a Fairview. Mine was and it lasted exactly 20 mins with the furnace on. Dealer has replaced it with a supposedly better Olympia (he unfortunately had no Marshall brand in stock, go figure) and I'm just doing the "wait and see routine" as replacement only happened last week.

I have a strong suspicion that in addition to the cheap faulty regulator I may end up having to replace the pigtails too, based on lots of info I have read in this and other forums on erratic LP Gas systems.

They are putting junk foreign made parts into our supposedly American made RVs and TTs nowadays so, these complaint forums are going to grow exponentially I think.
scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #9

If you get a whinning noise from the propane tanks then it is probably the pigtail. Happened to mine from the day we picked it up but mostly when it was cool......
buckisland1950 is offline   Reply With Quote