Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2021, 10:08 AM   #1

Buddy heater propane hose install

I have a 2019 Forester 2401W MBS and want to attach the propane hose for Buddy heater to existing hose in the unit. I did add an extend a stay to propane tank.
Suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
clanthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:27 AM   #2
RV There Yet?

If i am not mistaken, the buddy heater has a regulator built in already. if that is the case, you will need to connect it to your propane tank ahead of the regulator that is on the camper already. otherwise you will have the flow regulated twice, and heating performance will suffer greatly.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:29 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. The buddy heater also has a low pressure connection so all I would have to do is have a hose connected in the unit and not have to cut a hole from the outside to bring a hose into the unit.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:52 PM   #4

Rather than cut a hole, I brought mine in a sliding window. I drilled a new hole in the window frame for the positioning tab to drop into, so the window wouldn't be vulnerable to unauthorized entry.

Depending on your design, window placement, and so forth, this might be something to consider.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:04 PM   #5

I know that there are lots of people who use Buddy Heaters with no issue but here's a report where the use of one didn't work out well:

https://www.kxly.com/kennewick-man-d...-coroner-says/

The message from this report is to make sure there is plenty of ventilation.

Also, make sure your propane supply isn't at a higher pressure than what the built in regulator is set for. Too much fuel leads to excessive CO.

Even if thousands of people use them with no problems it only takes one ---------

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:10 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanthon View Post
Thanks for the reply. The buddy heater also has a low pressure connection so all I would have to do is have a hose connected in the unit and not have to cut a hole from the outside to bring a hose into the unit.
Maybe you could tee off of the supply line(s) for the stove or refrigerator?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:23 PM   #7
Trailer Park Supervisor

I have the Big Buddy heater. Yes it does have a low pressure connection to connect directly to a large propane supply. The Mr. Heater hose I got for it has a regulator in the line, so no good to connect to anything but a non-regulated propane port. If you do find a hose with quick disconnects on both ends, make sure you use the Mr. Heater propane filter also. Lots of warnings in owner's manual that failure to do so will result in premature failure of heater.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 03:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Maybe you could tee off of the supply line(s) for the stove or refrigerator?
Yes, teeing off one of those is what I’d like to do but can’t see where the connection(s) are. Hoping someone had done it to my model.
Thank you
Old 01-22-2021, 08:42 PM   #9

This is not gonna work

Quote:
Yes, teeing off one of those is what I’d like to do but can’t see where the connection(s) are. Hoping someone had done it to my model.
Thank you
The service to the stove and refrigerator is already low pressure (regulated after the tank). If you connect the heater there, it will be regulated TWICE. If it ignites at all, it will be an unreliable, small flame.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:54 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
The service to the stove and refrigerator is already low pressure (regulated after the tank). If you connect the heater there, it will be regulated TWICE. If it ignites at all, it will be an unreliable, small flame.
Humm.... I thought the OP said in post #3 the heater had a low pressure connection?

Someone else mentioned a built in regulator but I didn't see that verified by the OP.

I don't own one so I can't say with certainty.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 09:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Humm.... I thought the OP said in post #3 the heater had a low pressure connection?

Someone else mentioned a built in regulator but I didn't see that verified by the OP.

I don't own one so I can't say with certainty.
The description says a disposable 1lb canister or with a hose & filter a 20lb tank can be attached
Old 01-22-2021, 09:09 PM   #12
Trailer Park Supervisor

they have a regulator built in if you use 1lb propane tanks, but there is also a QD port that doesn't go through regulator. The QD hose provided by mfr has a regulator on the hose where you thread onto 20lb tank.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:15 PM   #13

Exclamation In addition...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I know that there are lots of people who use Buddy Heaters with no issue but here's a report where the use of one didn't work out well:

https://www.kxly.com/kennewick-man-d...-coroner-says/

The message from this report is to make sure there is plenty of ventilation.

Also, make sure your propane supply isn't at a higher pressure than what the built in regulator is set for. Too much fuel leads to excessive CO.

Even if thousands of people use them with no problems it only takes one ---------
Why would you do this? In addition to the VERY REAL danger of carbon monoxide poisoning (deadly and no warning smell), combustion within the trailer adds huge amounts of moisture to the environment. An overnight stay will have water dripping from the ceiling, windows, doors, and (if cold outside) the walls. Do you really want mildew on those surfaces, and on the carpet and carpet backing?

The propane molecule is C3H8. That is, ir has three Carbon Molecules and 8 Hydrogen molecules. See the image below.

If you have complete combustion (oxidation), it looks like
C3H8 + 5O2 => 3CO2 + 4H2O. That is a huge amount of water. For every molecule of propane you get FOUR molecules of water.

Besides the water, a lot of oxygen is consumed. By the end of the night, you could have incomplete combustion because there's not enough oxygen left.
You would have some CO floating around.

The built-in furnace has complete isolation between the combustion chamber (firebox) and the internal heated air. The furnace draws fresh air in from the outside, combusts propane with it in the firebox, and exhausts it back outside. (Ever notice those two vents, about 2-1/2" in diameter, one above the other on the outside. Those are the intake and exhaust vents.) The firebox, intake, and exhaust are completely isolated from the inside.

Wrapped around the outside of the firebox is the "plenum." Interior air is pulled into the plenum where it contacts the firebox and is heated, and is then blown through the interior. This is called a "heat exchanger" system.

Besides the danger, have you considered the comfort aspects? We lost the furnace for a day or two last winter and heated with two of those oil-filled radiators. We had two warm spots and the rest of the trailer was uncomfortably chilly. When the furnace is blowing ducted hot air throughout the trailer it's much more even.

I'm curious to know what led you to consider a separate heater instead of the furnace. Would you mind sharing your thoughts?
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2021, 09:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
they have a regulator built in if you use 1lb propane tanks, but there is also a QD port that doesn't go through regulator. The QD hose provided by mfr has a regulator on the hose where you thread onto 20lb tank.

Must be a different model than mine. I can screw a one pound bottle in directly, or screw in my filter and a perfectly straight hose that goes right to a 20# tank with no intervening regulator. Done it both ways for years...

Rich
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 09:23 PM   #15
Trailer Park Supervisor

It is a good back-up. These are designed to be used in living spaces, complete with tip shut off and low oxygen sensor shut off. You are supposed to crack a window. Also not to be used while you are asleep. No matter how many 'safety' factors, not worth taking a chance if you intend to go to sleep. But I've used mine several times indoors as advertised, especially my garage. Big Buddy model puts out a ton of BTUs very quickly.

Agree that as a non-vented gas appliance, moisture will be generated. I got mine for cabin camping and as an emergency heat supply. Never used it in RV.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:26 PM   #16
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Must be a different model than mine. I can screw a one pound bottle in directly, or screw in my filter and a perfectly straight hose that goes right to a 20# tank with no intervening regulator. Done it both ways for years...

Rich

You are screwing the 1lb tank directly onto a regulator inside the heater. My Big Buddy actually accepts 2 one lb tanks, each has it's own regulator.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:18 PM   #17

Mr heater line

I have a Rockwood 2104s and I did what you want to do and it works great. Went to a specialty BBQ shop and the made a hose to length with a quick connect for my Mr. Heater. Also got from them a tee that I came off of the gas input line for the furnace. Ran hose under sink and drilled hole out of cabinet kick area where I can pull out as much hose as I need to position heater where I want it in trailer. When not using heater I just feed hose back in under cabinets.

No trouble with moisture . . . but live in VERY DRY Utah where you want moisture. We do keep windows cracked on both sides of room . . . and don't use at night - but first thing to turn on in morning.
Normutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Why would you do this? In addition to the VERY REAL danger of carbon monoxide poisoning (deadly and no warning smell), combustion within the trailer adds huge amounts of moisture to the environment. An overnight stay will have water dripping from the ceiling, windows, doors, and (if cold outside) the walls. Do you really want mildew on those surfaces, and on the carpet and carpet backing?

The propane molecule is C3H8. That is, ir has three Carbon Molecules and 8 Hydrogen molecules. See the image below.

If you have complete combustion (oxidation), it looks like
C3H8 + 5O2 => 3CO2 + 4H2O. That is a huge amount of water. For every molecule of propane you get FOUR molecules of water.

Besides the water, a lot of oxygen is consumed. By the end of the night, you could have incomplete combustion because there's not enough oxygen left.
You would have some CO floating around.

The built-in furnace has complete isolation between the combustion chamber (firebox) and the internal heated air. The furnace draws fresh air in from the outside, combusts propane with it in the firebox, and exhausts it back outside. (Ever notice those two vents, about 2-1/2" in diameter, one above the other on the outside. Those are the intake and exhaust vents.) The firebox, intake, and exhaust are completely isolated from the inside.

Wrapped around the outside of the firebox is the "plenum." Interior air is pulled into the plenum where it contacts the firebox and is heated, and is then blown through the interior. This is called a "heat exchanger" system.

Besides the danger, have you considered the comfort aspects? We lost the furnace for a day or two last winter and heated with two of those oil-filled radiators. We had two warm spots and the rest of the trailer was uncomfortably chilly. When the furnace is blowing ducted hot air throughout the trailer it's much more even.

I'm curious to know what led you to consider a separate heater instead of the furnace. Would you mind sharing your thoughts?
As a back up when we’re awake and boondocking
Old 01-23-2021, 09:47 AM   #19

Ah!

Quote:
As a back up when we’re awake and boondocking
I understand the "awake" part.

Not sure I understand the boondocking part. Could you not achieve the same propane usage by using the furnace and just turning down the thermostat?
Old 01-23-2021, 09:51 AM   #20

Quote:
I understand the "awake" part.

Not sure I understand the boondocking part. Could you not achieve the same propane usage by using the furnace and just turning down the thermostat?
If using the furnace when boondocking, doesn’t that use elect depleting house batteries? Asking out of ignorance Thank you

Tags
heater, propane