Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2020, 03:04 PM   #1

Can I add something like this to my system?

I am replacing the propane 1/2" black iron pipe that runs under our 5er.

While I'm at it, I'd like to add an external propane line to be able to hook up a gas fire pit, etc.

I saw this...

https://www.amazon.com/Stanbroil-Pro...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

but I'm not sure that it will work for me.

Here is my hardware...

1st pic..long black hose connects to black iron pipe.

Other lines connect to propane tanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2943.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	421.1 KB
ID:	236973   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2944.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	446.7 KB
ID:	236974   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2945.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	427.6 KB
ID:	236975   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2946.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	342.2 KB
ID:	236976  

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:07 PM   #2

Your unit doesn't already have a low pressure outlet for a bbq or similar?
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:08 PM   #3

I could add a branch off of the main pipe line that I could connect a quick disconnect fitting to (for the fire pit), but it would be after the regulator.

I need the new connection to take place before the regulator, as the fire pit has it's own regulator.

Rich

Old 08-19-2020, 03:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
Your unit doesn't already have a low pressure outlet for a bbq or similar?

Our camper is a 1999. Not sure if those were available then.

But, no...we do not have one.

Old 08-19-2020, 03:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollscanardly View Post
Our camper is a 1999. Not sure if those were available then.

But, no...we do not have one.
Quote:
I could add a branch off of the main pipe line that I could connect a quick disconnect fitting to (for the fire pit), but it would be after the regulator.

I need the new connection to take place before the regulator, as the fire pit has it's own regulator.

Rich
I was looking at modifying our fire ring with a hose with no regulator so I can connect it to the bbq connection. Summer 2019 was a rebuild year at work and Summer 2020 is an obvious write off so I haven't needed to get very far with the project yet. Maybe you can remove the regulator setup on your fire ring.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:19 PM   #6

Quote:

Rich

This is the pit I want to buy...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KY4S388...A2Q1LRYTXHYQ2K

Perhaps I could do as I suggested above ( add a hard branch line) and don't use the supplied fire pit hose (with regulator), and replace that hose with one without a regulator.

So, the fire pit would be using the tank / main line regulator. Are all these pressure regulators set at the same pressure?

Rich

Old 08-19-2020, 03:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
I was looking at modifying our fire ring with a hose with no regulator so I can connect it to the bbq connection. Summer 2019 was a rebuild year at work and Summer 2020 is an obvious write off so I haven't needed to get very far with the project yet. Maybe you can remove the regulator setup on your fire ring.

We were apparently typing at the same time!! I type real slow......

Old 08-19-2020, 10:41 PM   #8

If you want to use a high pressure line just unscrew one of your tanks and use it or add a Y to one of the tanks and get the one you provided a link to. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LPY9R8U..._VAZE18h5bbd93
Once the hoses get beyond 25ft they tend to have problems keeping the pressure up.

I use this firepit without a regulator. https://www.etrailer.com/Grills-and-...RoCqqMQAvD_BwE and hook it up to a regulator and a tank if using the LP port or to the low pressure line on the trailer with this https://www.etrailer.com/Propane/MB-...4-120-MBS.html

The low pressure line will appear low at first but really puts out about 3/4 of the propane because the adjustable regulator puts out a variable wc pressure and the trailer puts out a steady 11in. Its the rocks that provide the heat once they warm up.

Hope that helps!Click image for larger version

Name:	20200515_215610.jpeg
Views:	136
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	237009
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
If you want to use a high pressure line just unscrew one of your tanks and use it or add a Y to one of the tanks and get the one you provided a link to. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LPY9R8U..._VAZE18h5bbd93
Once the hoses get beyond 25ft they tend to have problems keeping the pressure up.

I use this firepit without a regulator. https://www.etrailer.com/Grills-and-...RoCqqMQAvD_BwE and hook it up to a regulator and a tank if using the LP port or to the low pressure line on the trailer with this https://www.etrailer.com/Propane/MB-...4-120-MBS.html

The low pressure line will appear low at first but really puts out about 3/4 of the propane because the adjustable regulator puts out a variable wc pressure and the trailer puts out a steady 11in. Its the rocks that provide the heat once they warm up.

Hope that helps!Attachment 237009

I like your first suggestion.

Thanks!

Rich

Old 08-20-2020, 12:11 PM   #10

I connect ours to the low pressure side. I use a wye at the BBQ hook up. It seemed to not put out the same amount of flames as if you used it with it's own regulator, until I upgraded the RV regulator to one with more BTU capacity.
Old 08-20-2020, 12:19 PM   #11

Quote:

Rich
Keep in mind that the High Pressure Propane will make an oily substance inside the line over any appreciable distance. You can remove the regulator from the fire pit and tap directly onto the Low Pressure propane line with a much longer hose and not have to worry about the oily buildup clogging the jets. The regulator on the RV will be set for an 11 inch +/- water column pressure which should be adequate to run a BBQ or fire pit. Good luck with the mods .... Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 JayRaven: Predator 3500i - Call Home Pearl River, Louisiana. on The Honey Island Swamp
https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...pic81807_1.gif
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:59 PM   #12

Quote:
I am replacing the propane 1/2" black iron pipe that runs under our 5er.

While I'm at it, I'd like to add an external propane line to be able to hook up a gas fire pit, etc.

I saw this...

https://www.amazon.com/Stanbroil-Pro.../dp/B088QY225S

but I'm not sure that it will work for me.

Here is my hardware...

1st pic..long black hose connects to black iron pipe.

Other lines connect to propane tanks.
rollscanardly,

The two-tank system complicates tapping full pressure. Single tank motorhomes are simpler, but then always lack a back-up propane supply.

It looks like your Stanbroil example would work to deliver full tank pressure through the 'throw-away' thread port if you simply inserted it between one tank and the regulator. But when that 1st tank runs out, it looks like you have a double(?) auto-switch-over regulator that will both automatically cut off the 1st empty tank pressure and automatically switch over the RV supply (the black pipe) to the 2nd supposedly-full tank. So when the 1st tank is empty, you would have no convenient, but unregulated, 'fire pit' tap without bringing out the wrenches.

If you inserted two of these Stanbroil devices, one on each tank, you could run a permanent by-pass cross-over (x-o) between the two with an inline x-o valve to be closed for normal automatic RV operation. When the 2-tank supply was being used for unregulated pressure accessories, such as a fire pit, the empty or used-up tank itself could be shut off for continued fire pit operation without disconnecting any fitting as long as the x-o valve was opened. In addition, you would have an additional port left for a second add-on burner such as an already regulated bar-b-que. Most bar-b-ques have their own regulator ready to hook up to 1 or 20 pound supply tanks but most fire pits do not.

It's quite possible that a pre-equipped regulator on a bar-b-que would still run very close to normal if you tapped the regulated side of your RV supply. The propane should end up triple regulated at very close to normal pressure with perhaps a slight loss at high. If this works, only a single tap allows access to all the RV supply.

Wes
Wes Tausend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 06:23 AM   #13

My low pressure line would barely make a flame on the barbeque that came with the trailer. I started using a separate propane tank for the outside stove, or barbeque, or fire pit. I find it much more convenient to be able to place it away from the trailer.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:44 AM   #14

What I have found with mine was the hose I bought was too small diameter and was restricting the flow bought a larger diameter hose and works fine now. I think it has more to do with flow than pressure as on my stick and brick home was changed from propane to natural gas which is a lower pressure than propane it needed to have the piping enlarged to 1' in order to work with natural gas pressures.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Keep in mind that the High Pressure Propane will make an oily substance inside the line over any appreciable distance. You can remove the regulator from the fire pit and tap directly onto the Low Pressure propane line with a much longer hose and not have to worry about the oily buildup clogging the jets. The regulator on the RV will be set for an 11 inch +/- water column pressure which should be adequate to run a BBQ or fire pit. Good luck with the mods .... Swampy
I started down this exact same response until I saw the pit he linked to has the regulator at the connection and the valve is only to adjust the flame. It is actually a low pressure pit with the high pressure regulator on the hose.

If wanting to use LP port with the firepit the OP linked to all you need is a new hose.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:52 AM   #16

Thank you for all the responses. I'm learning a lot, here.

Basically, I made up a replacement line out of stainless steel. I'm going to add a branch off of it, which will be low pressure. With a ball valve (safety shutoff) and a quick-connect fitting.

So, I will be eliminating the Camco 59123 brass piece.

So...in this case, I will still be using the 5er's original regulator. Should I also use the regulator that comes with the fire pit's included hose? Double-regulators?

dbledan...any idea why they would put a high pressure regulator on the hose?....

Here are some pics of the old and new line, with a small piece of pipe representing the crossover branch , coming soon.

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2952.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	574.7 KB
ID:	237294   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2953.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	677.4 KB
ID:	237295   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2954.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	710.0 KB
ID:	237296  

Old 08-22-2020, 08:49 AM   #17

Quote:

Basically, I made up a replacement line out of stainless steel. I'm going to add a branch off of it, which will be low pressure. With a ball valve (safety shutoff) and a quick-connect fitting.

So...in this case, I will still be using the 5er's original regulator. Should I also use the regulator that comes with the fire pit's included hose? Double-regulators?

dbledan...any idea why they would put a high pressure regulator on the hose?....

Here are some pics of the old and new line, with a small piece of pipe representing the crossover branch , coming soon.

Rich
Since you already have a regulator near where the line connects to the propane tanks there is no need to add another one. Never tried it myself but everyone who has says double regulators makes the gas flow extremely low. I’ve never hard of a fire pit with a built in regulator at the control valve.

Just put a t fitting on the main line and connect the fire pit direct.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:43 AM   #18

Quote:

Rich
Rich, I think they include the HP regulator on the hose thinking that you are going to use a separate 20# cylinder. You can try with the double regulator, but I( suspect you will have low performance on the pit due to really low pressure. If that happens, just remove the regulator and try again. Oh BTW, be sure you use the yellow pipe joint tape rated for propane. Although I've never had any white thread tape fail, I understand that it can dissolve in the presence of propane gas... hence a dangerous leak.
I removed the regulator from my BBQ pit and connected it directly to the RV propane Low Pressure supply via a 20 ft. hose with quick connects on both ends and a ball valve on the supply end on the RV. Works very well for me! Good luck with your mod... Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 JayRaven: Predator 3500i - Call Home Pearl River, Louisiana. on The Honey Island Swamp
https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...pic81807_1.gif
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:31 AM   #19

I know of a guy that makes maple syrup. On his boil-off stove, he uses double regulators to really fine tune the flame.

I don't need that type of precision, so I'll end up doing what has been suggested here...tank regulator, no second regulator to the pit.

I did use the gas-rated yellow tape.

I'm just taking a break from installing the new pipe under the camper....

Thanks, again.

Rich

Old 08-23-2020, 01:45 AM   #20

Assuming its a 3/8in hose connecting the pit to the existing hose you can replace the hose that comes on it with one of these if connecting to your quick connect.
https://www.etrailer.com/Propane/MB-...4-120-MBS.html

You can wait until you get the fire pit and just purchase the hose once you measure the connection to the firepit. Most have npt connection sizes some Coleman appliance have custom screw connections that make it complicated. Use yellow thread tape on the connections if you make your own.

They put a high pressure regulator at the start of the hose to convert to low pressure and prevent the goo build up mentioned above. Most propane appliances run on 11" wc pressure unless there is an adjustment knob on the regulator itself then they can vary usually between 8-16" wc....usually.

If you are going to run it off your trailer LP port you are installing you will not want the second regulator as it will not work or will really low if it does. Its a good solution to use the port...less hose to trip over. If you ever want to connect to a 20lb tank directly just switch to the hose it came with.