Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2015, 07:21 AM   #1

Cannot light oven pilot

Lighting the oven pilot on our Suburban RV stove has always been a problem in our 2013 Cedar Creek destination trailer. Now we are not able to light it at all. The propane tank ran out and when the new one was hooked up, the oven pilot would not light. Burners are fine. Has anyone else had this issue and how was it resolved?
Patrick45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:49 AM   #2

imo. you have air in the short line front the top burners down to the oven burner. keep a lit flame at the oven orifice with it on and see if 'air' is moving the flame around as the air is being pushed out by the propane. it may take a little bit to get the propane to it.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:51 AM   #3

Try this; pull off the pilot knob to expose the stem directly depress that part of the stem to effect gas flow through the pilot tube. The cause maybe when putting pressure on the knob incorrectly, thus, gas is not allowed to flow sufficiently to generate enough flow, then heat after lighting sequence, to the thermocouple allowing the main to remain open. After sucessful lighting, you can do a quick visual inspection, using the knob and no knob, comparing the pilot flame in both operations. That will get you closer to nuances of the suburban pilot knob operation.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:45 PM   #4
Anacortesians

Be aware that the pilot light has a heat sensor built in to prevent gas escaping if the light goes out. You need to keep the lighting flame on it for about 30 seconds after it lights or it goes out again.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:46 PM   #5

Are you sure your oven has a pilot? Some do not. Mine doesn't; it has to be lit every time.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:44 AM   #6

We have a pilot and although we have had issues with it - we have been able to light it eventually until now.
Patrick45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
Be aware that the pilot light has a heat sensor built in to prevent gas escaping if the light goes out. You need to keep the lighting flame on it for about 30 seconds after it lights or it goes out again.
I agree , Make sure and hold the Lighter on the sensor it needs to warm to get gas to flow. It might require a new sensor if this doesn't work.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:30 PM   #8

Pilot Light

Every time I've had troulble lighting my pilot, it is because I forget that you must turn the knob to pilot and hold it in until the pilot lights. Sometimes easier if you have assistance.
PShroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:30 PM   #9
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
It takes 2 to 3 minutes for the pilot to light in our 8329 TT. My wife holds the knob in and I lay on the floor with the foot long lighter. It is a pain.
Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:42 PM   #10

Ours also takes a while to get the pilot light to lite. Using a lighter with a very big flame helps.

Question? Anyone hear of a mod you can buy to have an automatic spark lighter like on some residential stoves/ovens?
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:14 PM   #11
MC9

I went to HomeDepot and bought a BBQ electric lighter kit. Did whatever I had to do to make it work. What a pleasure it is to just push the button to light the oven. Sorry now I didn't buy a 4-way to also light the burners.
MC9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:25 PM   #12

I bought a four way battery powered from ignitor from Amazon for less than $20. Had to run a high temp wire and used an old spark plug from an old grill to ignite the oven. What a difference that that hammering piezo piece of xxx. You will likely have to drill new holes for this also.
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:13 PM   #13

MC9 and palmetto rogue, you must have different ovens than I do. Mine and others I have read on this thread have ovens which have to have heat applied for a while for the pilot to light, and the burner won't light unless the pilot is lite and providing heat. ??? It's all interlocked.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick45 View Post
We have a pilot and although we have had issues with it - we have been able to light it eventually until now.
So, have you tried any of the suggestions given to you, to see if it solves your issue?
Old 03-12-2015, 07:33 PM   #15
MC9

That may be. But, usually the pilot lights immediately. There might be a slight pause before the burner itself comes on. I also swiped the sparker from an old grill.
MC9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:12 AM   #16

Evereddie, I still must depress the knob to provide gas for the pilot, then hold for a moment until the thermocouple is heated. The advantage is I am not on my knees with a flashlight trying to find the pilot assembly.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmetto rogue View Post
I bought a four way battery powered from ignitor from Amazon for less than $20. Had to run a high temp wire and used an old spark plug from an old grill to ignite the oven. What a difference that that hammering piezo piece of xxx. You will likely have to drill new holes for this also.
Are you talking about a retrofit to the suburban model the OP is trying to get an answer to? Does the piezo igniter light the main burner directly, or is yous a different stove than what the OP is trying to fix. The OP has a thermocouple problem , which might be a simple fix.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:04 AM   #18
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
Question? Anyone hear of a mod you can buy to have an automatic spark lighter like on some residential stoves/ovens?
Here is a mod I've been contemplating:
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Electronic Ignition for Stovetop (w/pics)
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:30 AM   #19

awellis3 link is exactly what I have done
Old 03-13-2015, 10:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
Great! That looks like just what we need. Thanks!!

Sorry to the original poster for slightly hi-jacking the thread. It does apply a little I guess.

Tags
light