Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2020, 11:51 AM   #1

Carbon Monoxide Detector Location

We have a 2020 Flagstaff MicroLite 21DS. Our friends have a 2019 version of the same. The Carbon Monoxide Detector is located in the rear next to the refrigerator and the water heater. On the other side are the stove and heater.
Here in NM the wind blows almost constantly. So when we are boondocking and using propane to heat water and refrigerate, the detectors in both our rigs regularly go off. I believe the wind is blowing the propane fumes from the refrig and water heater right into the detector only two feet away. Some would argue it is doing what it is supposed to do. But you don't have to live with this happening at all hours of the day. I am thinking of relocating the detector to the front next to the Murphy bed and keeping it low where I think it should be. Any thoughts? What say you?
Travler ByGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travler ByGeorge View Post
We have a 2020 Flagstaff MicroLite 21DS. Our friends have a 2019 version of the same. The Carbon Monoxide Detector is located in the rear next to the refrigerator and the water heater. On the other side are the stove and heater.
Here in NM the wind blows almost constantly. So when we are boondocking and using propane to heat water and refrigerate, the detectors in both our rigs regularly go off. I believe the wind is blowing the propane fumes from the refrig and water heater right into the detector only two feet away. Some would argue it is doing what it is supposed to do. But you don't have to live with this happening at all hours of the day. I am thinking of relocating the detector to the front next to the Murphy bed and keeping it low where I think it should be. Any thoughts? What say you?
I have replaced my combination LPG/CO detector with separate detectors.

LPG is heavier than air and will settle to the floor thus making the ideal location for an LPG detector down a floor level.

CO on the other hand is lighter than air so I installed a combination Smoke/CO detector at ceiling level, replacing the cheap, annoying, factory supplied smoke detector.

Added benefit, when either the CO section or LPG section fails (due to age or ----) you don't have to buy another relatively expensive combination detector. You also don't have to guess which one is screaming at you in the middle of the night. Ceiling unit-----smoke or CO. Floor unit, propane leak.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:21 PM   #3

My problem is with the detector labeled "RV CO and Propane Gas Alarm" that is mounted at floor level right next to the refrigerator and water heater. No problem with the smoke detector mounted in the ceiling near the front sofa. I believe the problem exists because of it being right next to and within a 18 inches of two propane sources. I would like to move that detector to front and down low to get it further away from the sources and closer to where we sleep.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travler ByGeorge View Post
I would like to move that detector to front and down low to get it further away from the sources and closer to where we sleep.
That would work too. However, are you sure it's the LPG alarm going and not the CO. That's the problem with combined alarms.

Sorry for the confusion on smoke detector. I merely separated my LPG detector (installed new one) and to make sure I still had CO detect/warn just replaced with a Smoke/CO detector.

My LPG/CO detector started going off in the middle of the night after I'd owned my TT early on (about one year). Current setup has worked flawlessly for two years now.

Old 07-05-2020, 04:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I have replaced my combination LPG/CO detector with separate detectors.
I am going to do the same. Probably buy a combo CO/smoke and a separate LPG. What LPG detector did you buy?
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:43 PM   #6

I have the same question. Where did you find a LPG detector that did not have to be plugged into a 110 outlet; i,e, battery powered. Remember, this is happening when we are boondocking and not hook into electric. Looks like we are on the right track if I can find a LPG detector only that is battery powered or can run on the 12 volt circuit. Smoke/CO detectors seem to be more commonly available as battery powered.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I am going to do the same. Probably buy a combo CO/smoke and a separate LPG. What LPG detector did you buy?
I bought this one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GBQ348W...p_mob_ap_share

Had to modify opening but it works great.

Old 07-08-2020, 01:43 PM   #8

I would say moving the CO detector across the trailer near the sleeping area would be fine. However, if you move the LPG detector across the trailer from the likely source of propane, then when it does alarm it will be telling you that the trailer is already full of propane!

My problem is just making toast in an electric toaster sets my smoke alarm off.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:47 PM   #9
PhD, Common Sense

We stop at light brown and don’t continue to black and smoking.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
We stop at light brown and don’t continue to black and smoking.
Yeah, but smoke detector goes off about 10 seconds after pushing the lever down on the toaster. It's like there is an interlock there, the smoke detector must go off before the elements in the toaster will fully heat up. Good then the detector is easy to remove from the ceiling bracket and toss back onto the bed.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Yeah, but smoke detector goes off about 10 seconds after pushing the lever down on the toaster. It's like there is an interlock there, the smoke detector must go off before the elements in the toaster will fully heat up. Good then the detector is easy to remove from the ceiling bracket and toss back onto the bed.

The fact the smoke detector goes off when the toaster is used tells me it''s an old ionization type detector.

Replace it with a dual sensor type and it won't drive you nuts. They use photoelectric sensors too. Cost a little more but that's why the cheap one comes with the trailer.

The one I inked doesn't go off when I open the oven, use the toaster, use the stove top. Test it before every trip and it works, it just doesn't annoy.

Old 07-09-2020, 12:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
The fact the smoke detector goes off when the toaster is used tells me it''s an old ionization type detector.

Replace it with a dual sensor type and it won't drive you nuts. They use photoelectric sensors too. Cost a little more but that's why the cheap one comes with the trailer.

The one I inked doesn't go off when I open the oven, use the toaster, use the stove top. Test it before every trip and it works, it just doesn't annoy.
Nope. It's an almost brand new dual sensor:
https://www.kidde.com/home-safety/en...alarms/pi9010/

Tags
cat, location