Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2019, 05:58 PM   #1

Question Do I need something special to grill

New to RVs and was told by the dealer maintenance guy that we need a special grill from the manufacturer to use the outside propane attachment on our Sunseeker MBS 2400W. Seems to me that a hose with a regulator that would attach to a portable type 20lb tank would work. Am I missing something?
Old 01-28-2019, 06:10 PM   #2

If you are referring to the propane connection for a grill, they are usually plumbed to the low pressure (regulated) gas line that also supplies the Stove, Furnace, Refrigerator, Water Heater, etc. LOW Pressure (11" of Water Column) rather than the up to 250 PSI supply that comes direct from the tank.

The "special grilles" are merely units that have only a control valve and NO REGULATOR. Some people modify regular grills that have regulators built in so the gas feeds directly into the control valve, any pressure regulator.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:11 PM   #3
Site Team

The propane port and all propane appliances in the RV are low pressure appliances. The standard propane grill is a high pressure appliance and has a regulator built in the appliance or the hose and as such will not work. If the regulator for the grill is is not an integral part of the flame control, there are kits to adapt some of them.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:13 PM   #4

you do not need a special grill. on a normal grill there is a hose from propane tank to the grill that has a regulator in it. this regulator changes the propane pressure from high pressure in the tank to low pressure which is used by the grill. the propane outlet on your rv will be low pressure as it has already gone through the rv regulator. if your grill has its own burner controls on it all you need to do is run a hose from the rv propane outlet to the grill. this will require a few gas fittings and a hose. there are many kits available to purchase that have the parts. there are many utube videos showing how to do this. there are also many threads on the forum that have discussed this.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:52 PM   #5

Let us know what grill you'd like to use and someone here can likely recommend an adaptor.

I got an adaptor last year for my Coleman Roadtrip and am very happy to no longer have to carry around the little green disposable tanks.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:58 AM   #6

Special grill

Hit the BS button. Unless your wanting to boil crabs or crawfish, you can use any burner/stove/grill. The Rv dealers have the quick connect male/female. Propane dealers have the hoses in varying lengths. Most grills come with short hoses, so I went to rv dealer and bought the quick connections and then went to propane dealer and bought a 12 foot hose. I can now use my grill, lp burner for fish frying and 3 burner outdoor stove. You may find quick connects elsewhere but Lowes Home Depot don't have them.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:42 AM   #7
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimla View Post
Hit the BS button. Unless your wanting to boil crabs or crawfish, you can use any burner/stove/grill. The Rv dealers have the quick connect male/female. Propane dealers have the hoses in varying lengths. Most grills come with short hoses, so I went to rv dealer and bought the quick connections and then went to propane dealer and bought a 12 foot hose. I can now use my grill, lp burner for fish frying and 3 burner outdoor stove. You may find quick connects elsewhere but Lowes Home Depot don't have them.
you cant use ALL stoves, the coleman stoves specifically are high pressure and dont work right connected to a low pressure line on a trailer. otherwise, yes, most will work just fine!
Old 01-29-2019, 10:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
you cant use ALL stoves, the coleman stoves specifically are high pressure and dont work right connected to a low pressure line on a trailer. otherwise, yes, most will work just fine!
what?

there was a mention in one post about converting a coleman roadtrip. i have a coleman roadtrip that i converted to run from the trailer lp quick connect. any grill that has its burner control separate from the regulator can be easily converted.

i did have a small coleman grill that had the burner control valve integrated with the regulator that screwed onto the green bottle. if you removed that regulator you would also remove the burner control valve. to convert that one i would have to get a burner control valve installed in the propane line. but even then it would work.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:43 AM   #9
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
what?

there was a mention in one post about converting a coleman roadtrip. i have a coleman roadtrip that i converted to run from the trailer lp quick connect. any grill that has its burner control separate from the regulator can be easily converted.

i did have a small coleman grill that had the burner control valve integrated with the regulator that screwed onto the green bottle. if you removed that regulator you would also remove the burner control valve. to convert that one i would have to get a burner control valve installed in the propane line. but even then it would work.
The coleman roadtrip is a great candidate! You are absolutely correct that it works great! It has a low pressure regulator attached that can be removed. Most grills will not have a problem being converted. The statement i quoted said all "stoves" would work, which is not true. I just didnt want someone to go out and get one of the high pressure stoves thinking it works when it does not.

The link below is to the coleman stove. These are high pressure and do not run on low pressure regulators, like the quick connect the trailer has.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-20000...42613703&psc=1
Old 01-29-2019, 11:39 AM   #10

Smile

thanks. now I just have to find one that fits in the storage compartment.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:23 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
The coleman roadtrip is a great candidate! You are absolutely correct that it works great! It has a low pressure regulator attached that can be removed. Most grills will not have a problem being converted. The statement i quoted said all "stoves" would work, which is not true. I just didnt want someone to go out and get one of the high pressure stoves thinking it works when it does not.

The link below is to the coleman stove. These are high pressure and do not run on low pressure regulators, like the quick connect the trailer has.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-20000...42613703&psc=1
Correct.
The Coleman© stoves are high pressure ONLY.

While you 'could' manufacture a hose/fittings to do away with the 1 lb. bottle and connect it to the low pressure quick connect, doing so would result in a very tiny flame.

The old Coleman© pop-ups actually had a HIGH pressure port on the side, underneath similar to the current low pressure quick-connect except it was threaded and not a quick-connect.

If you plan to use a Coleman© stove without a 1 lb. bottle you could tap into the the 20-30 lb. bottle(s) with an Extend-A-Stay© type adapter and use a long(er) hose from there.

'SOME' of the Camp Chef© stoves WILL run off low pressure.

Remember, I/we are talking stoves now, not grills.
The OP asked about GRILLS.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:43 PM   #12

Bought this one from sams all I did was change the hose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9668A063-BB93-4A5B-BDD4-44FEA84FFA63.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	195623  
Gonefishing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:47 PM   #13

X2. I bought a similar model from Home Depot, removed the regulator and added a quick connect fitting to mate with a 10 ' hose that plugs into the low pressure lp port on the trailer. Works great.
SimchaSabre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:02 PM   #14

Clean grilling tip

Get Teflon Grill Mat from Amazon. Grills great. No grease flare up. Reusable. Makes heat across grid more even. Keeps moisture around meat. Much less mess to clean-up. You will smile more often when wifey asks you to grill.
MachaMacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:59 PM   #15
I Break Everything

Weber Q.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:10 PM   #16

The Coleman Road Trip grill is an excellent choice. The cast iron grill grates are far superior to the tubular stainless or chrome-plated steel grates that come with most portable grills. They are not totally trouble-free, however, as they do require conscientious routine cleaning and maintenance. After grilling, I always allow the grill to cool to ambient temperature before scraping away burned on residue on the grill grates. Then, place a sheet of aluminum foil or parchment paper directly underneath the grill grates, above the burners, and scrub, preventing the baked on residue from falling into the burner areas of the grill. This will not totally prevent grilling residue from falling into the burner areas, but it will help minimize the contamination that always results in corrosion.
Jakie-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:40 PM   #17
Old Engineer

Coleman Road Trip Grill Works Great.

I converted our Coleman Road Trip Grill to use a 12' hose, and a quick connect to the RV LP outlet at the rear of the coach.

Works correctly with a normal flame.

Did the same thing with our Little Red Campfire.

You have to be aware of a reducer orifice in the Coleman fittings.
I made my own fittings.
FleckDreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:05 AM   #18
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

See this for a good guide Convert Propane Grill to use RV Quickconnect
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:41 PM   #19

This is the adaptor I bought for the Coleman Roadtrip. Maybe a bit pricey at $18 for the adaptor + $10 shipping but it 'just works'.

Sturgi-Safe Roadtrip LXE Low Pressure Quick Disconnect Conversion Fitting https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BN7DVN8..._S-LuCb4NVH8G3
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:31 PM   #20

My Coleman stove from the 80's produced very low flame, even after bypassing the regulators. I'm thinking of teeing in before the rv regulator, and running a line to the same place as the low pressure one. I've seen lots of grills, but would like to know about stoves that work. Wish I kept the one that came with our old starcraft pop-up.
aldermanjb is offline   Reply With Quote