Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2021, 07:55 AM   #21
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave961 View Post
Leaving your hot water heater on all the time will use a lot of LP - especially in cooler climates.
Actually, it won't.

Studies have shown that the amount of LP used to keep a water heater to temperature is less than what is used if you leave it cool between uses.

One study I read indicated over a 12 hour period, the water heater ran 8 times for a minute each time to keep the water at temperature. Turning the water heater off then back on after 12 hours resulted in a 16 minute burn time to bring the water back to temperature, making that twice the usage. That's pretty much my real world use as well.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:47 PM   #22

I would take a good look - or sniff - at the hose connections to the regulator for the tanks. My experience is that the hoses tend to start leaking after only a year or two and I've had one drain a full tank in short order.
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:15 PM   #23
Open Space Wanted

Still have same two 20 lb. tanks since purchasimg in May. Only turn on one tank when we get to camp and used heater sporadically first three trips at night. Turn water heater on if needed for some dish washing and if one of us wants to shower with hot water. Turn off after use. We use indoor stove but mostly outdoor griddle for cooking. Shut tanks off before leaving.

Tried using gas gauge on tanks but returned since line was too short for proper fit. Guess I'll know when tank one is empty before turning on second.
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:48 PM   #24

I find it hard to not notice a propane leak...

the smell gives it away

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverComeOver View Post

Tried using gas gauge on tanks but returned since line was too short for proper fit. Guess I'll know when tank one is empty before turning on second.

I only have one tank, plus a spare to switch out as needed. I have found this to be the only accurate way to determine how much is remaining in a tank, aside from waiting until it runs out. A weight scale.

Virginian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:41 PM   #26
Open Space Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
I only have one tank, plus a spare to switch out as needed. I have found this to be the only accurate way to determine how much is remaining in a tank, aside from waiting until it runs out. A weight scale.

Thanks for that but not sure it would work well for a connected tank on the trailer tongue. Still could be useful when you have loose tanks and check if you can go on the next trip with a less than full tank.
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:45 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverComeOver View Post
Thanks for that but not sure it would work well for a connected tank on the trailer tongue. Still could be useful when you have loose tanks and check if you can go on the next trip with a less than full tank.
That's what I use it for, a connected tank on the trailer tongue. Takes 30 seconds or so to disconnect the tank and lift it with the hook to see how much I have remaining.
I know that my spare tank is full.
Virginian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:22 AM   #28
Trailer Park Supervisor

I have a similar scale. Useful for picking from the many tanks I have at home to make sure I bring a full one for the firepit and outdoor cooking appliances (avid griller and homebrewer, have 6 tanks at home). I use such little propane in the onboard 20lb'ers, no need to weigh, I know I always have the 2nd tank I can flip over to and can refill the empty when I get back.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:26 AM   #29

80% fill rule is normal.
I use propane for the refir, and to cook with. I rarely use the hot water heater and just heat water on the stove. I get through a whole season with one or two tanks of propane.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:35 AM   #30

I worked at a retail outfit that filled tanks and also had a tank exchange with a supplier. I always weighed the tanks that were brought in from the supplier before selling them to customers. I found quite a few that were 1/4 or 1/2 full.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:11 PM   #31

Agree! I only use propane for hot water during boom docking. I use electric exclusively when on hook up. Exception obviously for stove and oven.
RobDonaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:25 PM   #32

The one time I had a similar situation, it turned out that the regulator hose had a leak at the crimp that only leaked if it was disturbed.
jaymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:33 PM   #33

LP pigtails don't last very long. You probably have a leak.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 07:36 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
I worked at a retail outfit that filled tanks and also had a tank exchange with a supplier. I always weighed the tanks that were brought in from the supplier before selling them to customers. I found quite a few that were 1/4 or 1/2 full.

You are taking a chance on the exchange tanks. How do you know that they contain 15lbs? Someone making minimum wage is filling those tanks. He doesn't care.
I have also exchanged older tanks for newer ones with a more current date code. The I remove the label and get them filled at a reputable gas supply place. They only charge for the amount of propane it takes to fill the tank. Plus you are getting a "full" tank.
gw1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 08:28 PM   #35
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw1800 View Post
You are taking a chance on the exchange tanks. How do you know that they contain 15lbs? Someone making minimum wage is filling those tanks. He doesn't care.
I have also exchanged older tanks for newer ones with a more current date code. The I remove the label and get them filled at a reputable gas supply place. They only charge for the amount of propane it takes to fill the tank. Plus you are getting a "full" tank.
This is the only time I use 'tank exchange' places.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:30 PM   #36

Floyd,

If electricity is available use it. Use propane in addition to electricity for a faster recovery on the water heater.

I use propane for every meal (grill or oven), WH and ref if no elect. One 30-pound bottle will usually last me about 2 weeks if I do not have electricity available and am frugal with the furnace.

Your usage is about the same as mine. Your two bottle total around 30 pounds with Blue Rhino. I usually have a generator with me I heat water while it is running so I can go a little longer.

Several RV parks have propane available also for another source.

Blue Rhino switched to 15 from 17 pounds in 2008.

I leave my propane on. If the tanks empty, I know I have a leak. The last time was because when wife cleaned up after a trip she propped the refrigerator door open properly but left the refrigerator turned on (on propane). At least she turned off the electricity!

I changed 20 lb tanks to 30 lb as soon as I got my trailer. The only time I've every needed to refill on the road was when using the furnace quite a bit to prevent water from freezing.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:39 PM   #37

Undetectable Leaks

When I’m not using my camper I unhook the propane hoses from the tanks. I have never detected a leak; however, I have had 60 pounds of propane “disappear” while in storage (inside a locked building, so not stolen) when the hoses were connected and the valves completely off.

It’s a bit more f a pain but I’ve found it easier to do that Han spend my hard earned money for something that literally vanished into thin air.
gklclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:14 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFLOYD75 View Post
Hello to All:

I have a dual-tank 20-lb Propane system with the usual fail-over regulator. I bought two new bottles before my first trip in April--just a weekend and I didn't get to use the trailer until a six-day trip traveling from Michigan to New Hampshire and back three weeks ago in July.

I had the Propane on the entire six days and everything worked perfectly.

Here it is now August 3rd and I drove from Michigan to Watkins Glen, NY yesterday, again with the Propane on as of Sunday for the refrigerator to work.

I checked the tanks this morning--one was completely empty, the other near enough to empty to where I changed both of them out again.

Sorry, this long-winded post is merely to ask the short question: is this normal to have to change Propane so soon with only about 10-12 days of usage? No leaks, no alarms, nothing unusual to indicate a problem anywhere.

Thanks, All and Happy Camping!
I can run a month or more on a tank. When on the road I only have fridge on. When in camp I use electric. The cook to is has also. So when docked, I use fireplace if needed, not the furnace. So I only cook with gas. I will run the gas furnace for 10 minutes or so to take the chill out in cold weather.
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:19 PM   #39

so they have inline tank gauges install one turn on propane to pressurize system close everything and see if pressure drops you can also test each appliance this way.
tdjmain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:24 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw1800 View Post
You do not need to remove the labels. I do the same thing when a tank gets old, I exchange it at an exchange store for a newer tank, then use it and fill out somewhere else till it gets old. I never remove the label.
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane