Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2021, 07:41 PM   #21

Winter heat

We spend the month of December, and into January, in Georgia each year. Admittedly, the weather is not extreme, but there are many nights in the 20's, and Christmas this year had a high of 39 degrees. Many of you more experienced winter campers will find that amusing. We use the propane heater in the morning to warm up the RV, but mostly use a Duraflame heater during the day, and at night at a lower setting. The Duraflame heater is in an attractive cabinet that makes a nice end table. If necessary, during the day, we use a small ceramic heater on a separate circuit for an additional heat source.
davidb104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:57 PM   #22
Sunseeker 2400MBW

The oil filled radiator type of electric heater seems a good choice, quieter and more stable heat.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Which was the point of my post. $2 per gallon to fill a 250 gallon tank. $3 per gallon when filling 20# tanks.

My statement was merely to the cost per gallon, not challenging the "invoice total".
Costco (Huntsville, AL) was filling propane this past weekend for $2.08 a gallon. I was getting new front tires on my truck and since they didn't have an appropriate waiting area, I sat on a bench for a long time watching them fill propane. I was amazed at how many people came rolling up with 100# bottles to fill. I asked several people that had 40# tanks filled, about $18 and change. Never saw a 20# tank go over 10 bucks. They were charging only the actual fill amount and filling to the OPD valve (max capacity)

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyc7 View Post
The oil filled radiator type of electric heater seems a good choice, quieter and more stable heat.
We use one of those for that very reason: they're quiet, save for a minor click when they turn on. My wife also prefers not to have air blowing on her, so this little radiator is perfect.
JohnBj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:22 PM   #25

With your furnace here is couple things you should think about.

Your price of kWh $?

Your price of gallon of propane?

What is your location of the country?

This winter time again I am in the Midwest, I crack my bathroom vent during the day.

I am couple miles off Lake Erie.

I have concrete blankets folded in half at my frame area around my 5 wheel. I have 2” poly foil hard back and then I have the ez snap skirting around that.

Being around 18* outside temperature my furnace runs about 30 minutes for about 9 minutes.

Running your furnace would be even of temperature.

You want your humidity up 70-80%
The more water molecular in the air will make it feel warmer. with the furnace running it circulates air through your RV so it will help with keeping condensation off your windows and creating a mold problem.

What the age of your furnace?

In heating of furnace by electricity, gas , oil

Gas has more BTU than electricity & oil has more BTU than gas.

I took a few classes in college. Lol

After my father retired out of the military in 1975 he worked in the RV business for over 40 years.
He made some friends in Elkhart Indiana of the Technical class.lol

As for one RV California representative in one of his classes. My dad introduced himself to him and said I’m that SOB that you want to clean my clock. Lmao

My dad always tried to help with some of the engineering flaws that they had from time to time.

I’m hope this gives you a little bit better clarity of what you’re looking at.

The coldest I stayed in my RV was about -18 air temperature in michigan back in 2015.

I did the 2nd winter have a button tank from the LP distributor.

The 2015 I bought (2) 40# lbs. bottles besides my (2) 30 # I had in my RV

You just have to find out what’s the pros and cons of your situation and location that will work best for you.

Unfortunately everybody wants to be a critic just hopefully you’ll make your wise decision.

Plus I have my back up sleeping bag 3 part Gore-Tex -35*

Thanks

Rodney
littonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 10:12 AM   #26
Going Solo

Another consideration, permitting for an outside tank. In VA (lived for one winter while spouse was recovering from an illness) tried to get the local gas company(s) to deliver and setup a tank. Was informed we had to get a permit from the county. County said nope; wouldn't permit for a 'temporary' set-up. I have two 40 pound/9 gal tanks. During the coldest time of late January to early March I would need to fill at least one of the tanks every 3-4 days. Did not want to run out. By cold, on average 25-30* days low teens at night. Rare occasions 10* days and approx -5 at night for a few days/nights.
tjwdj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, propane