Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2018, 10:55 AM   #1

External propane hook up

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1523116390.160419.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	167438

New to RV life. Looking to attach a larger (40-60lb) tank to my RV. Any direction on how to do this ? Suggestions appreciated. Would like to attach through pigtail system if possible
Jonp154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:04 AM   #2

I have a few thoughts based on your post.

1. you say "attach" do you mean hooking up the gas and the camper stays put or do you mean "mounting" the tank to your TT? I would be worried about the added hitch weight.

2. my other thought is propane pressures. I'm not smart enough with propane but if you went to a much larger tank the proper line and regulator would be a big concern.

3. 30 pound tanks are "standard" on most larger campers and 5th wheels to give you a max of 60 instead of 40. ive never seen anyone carrying larger on there rig.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:08 AM   #3

Not wanting to attach it during travel. I’m now at a fixed site not moving, so wanted to add life to my heat source rather then having to fill the 20 pound tanks more frequently. Wanted to somehow attach a hose to my existing system with a larger tank while we remain at the same site.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:18 AM   #4
Always Learning

External propane hook up

Contact a local propane company who would deliver and refill the tank for you. My guess is they’ll know what you need to do.

This is VERY common for stationary folks.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:35 AM   #5

Thank u
Old 04-07-2018, 01:35 PM   #6

Something like this should work but the specific connection to the third party tank needs to be known. If you add a quick connect to it you should be good.

https://www.etrailer.com/Propane/MB-...03613-MBS.html

Best of luck.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 02:34 PM   #7
Just as confused as you

Removable/replaceable LP tanks for travel trailers and fifth wheels come in 3 sizes.
20# tanks for popups and other small trailers, 30# and 40# tanks for larger. They all connect with the same fittings. Many seasonal campers use 1 or 2 100# tanks that need to be connected and refilled/replace by a LP supplier or the campground personal.

ependydad is right that the supplier will know what you need to connect the larger tanks.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 02:36 PM   #8

Thanks fellas
Old 04-07-2018, 02:38 PM   #9

Extra Propane

My dad was full time permanent RV guy.. .He called local Propane company and they set him up with 100 Gal tank... very convenient... saved some $$ too
They did all the set up for him
thom125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 02:39 PM   #10

I put 30 in place of 20 on an older unit...pressures are the same, just more quantity...you should be able to put them on your mount with no issue. Now, if you are wanting to add larger than that tanks, you might need longer lines attached and I would get a propane expert to do that because you don't want leaks and you want the proper fittings and sealants used. If it were I and ata permanent site, I would ask thwe guy who fills tanks, some companies have guys who are qualified to do that work you need, some probably are those who you might see setting up systems at homes, repair guys that most propane companies already have working for them and if you are buying gas from them, there might not be an extra fee,...Stay safe with it, call your propane supplier.
Retired Electrician, Miller Brewery, 31 yrs.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:03 PM   #11
Site Team

Connection to existing system is relatively easy. Usually connected to regulator on RV via copper tubing. I do not like gas flex .
For any tank size that would make sense, you are most likely not going to be able to transport it for refilling hence you will need a propane company involved. For 60lb tanks, you can either have them filled on site or switched out on site. For anything larger than 60lb tanks, it is usually fill on site only. You can purchase tanks outright or rent them. Once you get to 100Gal tanks you may need a Federal Permit ( Propane company will know). There also some limits on where you can mount some larger tanks ( over 125gal).

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:31 PM   #12
Just as confused as you

I think that once you get to sizes larger than the 100# tank the size is rated in gallons and not pounds. Living on farms and country homes for most of my life it was common to have 250 gallon, 500 gallon or 1000 gallon tanks. Some larger farms with their own grain driers and storage would have one or two larger tanks in the range of 5000 gallons. When I worked on a farm that grew peppermint and spearmint, there was a still that burned LP to process the mint to remove the oil, the LP tank was 10,000 gallons and we operated the still 24/7 for a month.

All LP suppliers have employees that are qualified to install the plumbing and tanks.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:43 PM   #13

One more thing to consider is when you run a rubber hose from your external tank/cylinder to the rv on full tank pressure, it must be as short as possible to minimize the chance of oils leaking from the rubber hose into the propane stream.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:51 PM   #14
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
One more thing to consider is when you run a rubber hose from your external tank/cylinder to the rv on full tank pressure, it must be as short as possible to minimize the chance of oils leaking from the rubber hose into the propane stream.
The LP installer will put an appropriate size regulator on the larger tank, and use the appropriate type of hose.

At the scrap recycling company I retired from we used acetylene gas hose for the room built on a movable conveyor. Never had a problem with the fire inspector passing it.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
The LP installer will put an appropriate size regulator on the larger tank, and use the appropriate type of hose.

At the scrap recycling company I retired from we used acetylene gas hose for the room built on a movable conveyor. Never had a problem with the fire inspector passing it.
I was more referring to what the OP is planning to do.
The problem with high pressure (tank pressure) propane passing through a longer than necessary rubber hose before going through a pressure regulator (1 or 2 stage) is not so much a fire hazard, it is gunk from the rubber getting carried down the line that will eventually mess up solenoids and small orifices on appliances like furnaces and propane powered generators.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:23 PM   #16
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
I was more referring to what the OP is planning to do.
The problem with high pressure (tank pressure) propane passing through a longer than necessary rubber hose before going through a pressure regulator (1 or 2 stage) is not so much a fire hazard, it is gunk from the rubber getting carried down the line that will eventually mess up solenoids and small orifices on appliances like furnaces and propane powered generators.
What I am saying is any tank installed by a LP supplier will have the regulator on the tank connected with short piece of black pipe or copper tube. It is very rare to find a regulator connected to the tank with a hose, if it is then the hose will be a steel braided high pressure hose made for use with LP/NG.

If you install your own piping and have a LP supplier bring you a tank, he will inspect the plumbing and make changes to meet local code. Then every time the tanks are filled or exchanged the delivery driver will do a visual inspection. On tanks of 250 gal or more the the supplier owns the tank and does a annual re-certification. Here in Wisconsin the supplier owns any tank of 100# upwards.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:53 PM   #17

External propane hook up

Thanks everybody for the replies. Made the decision to contact the campgrounds contracted propane company-
Old 04-08-2018, 03:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonp154 View Post
Not wanting to attach it during travel. I’m now at a fixed site not moving, so wanted to add life to my heat source rather then having to fill the 20 pound tanks more frequently. Wanted to somehow attach a hose to my existing system with a larger tank while we remain at the same site.
I agree contact local suppliers for a 120# they will refill you on site
HAMMDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:59 AM   #19
dgibbs1955

External propane hook up

I was a "fullltimer" for 4 years in the Tulsa area, and I went out and bought a 100 pound tank and connected it to one side of my dual regulator with a longer hose and just set the tank under the overhang. It would last me about a month, and I would just haul it down to the propane dealer fill it up and hook it backup. Much more economical. Hope this helps.

2012 Dodge 3500 Cummins Crew Cab 4X4, "Decluttered" and Tuned/2020 Riverstone 39RKFB/2012 Harley Davidson Ultra Glide CVO.
Summer in Blair,Nebraska.
Winter at home in Azle, TX.
dgibbs1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:16 PM   #20

Some propane dealers charge by the tank and some actually charge for the amount of propane that they pump in. I found out Tractor Supply is a good place around my house
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane