Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2019, 05:55 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 1
Filling LP tanks

Why does the travel trailer instruction manual say that I should haul the whole 33' trailer down to the store to get the LP gas tanks refilled? Why can't I just take the tanks?
Tocapet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:03 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 848
When I had a TravelTrailer I just loaded up the empty tank(s) on my vehicle to get it/them filled at the nearest tank fill station!
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:11 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Gsykora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvarak View Post
When I had a TravelTrailer I just loaded up the empty tank(s) on my vehicle to get it/them filled at the nearest tank fill station!
X2. I've always pulled my tanks and just took them in the back of the pickup to the filling station. Never a problem.
__________________
George & Nancy, Allen, Texas
2015 F350 CC, DRW, LB, Platinum Edition
2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2


Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:01 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 9,300
Take the whole trailer or take them off and haul in your tow vehicle. Your choice
I just pull my trailer through a fill station once I reach home town and fill them on the tongue. If camping for longer time I carry two 20# tanks if needed when the first 30# tank is empty. I can also use the 20# tanks to run my generator if I need AC overnight. I have a 5' extension hose with gauge to hook up 20# tanks w/o having to remove main tanks. When first tank runs out I connect a 20# tank in its place and leave changeover valve set to run off the now smaller tank. When it's empty I switch in the second 20# tank. When it's empty, and regulator has switched to the other main tank, I just go to town and get 40# of propane.

If I'm winter camping in one spot for more than a couple months (did 6 months once) I just call a local Propane Distributor and they drop a rental tank which they then keep full.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:08 PM   #5
Site Team
 
Mr. Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grayson County, Texas
Posts: 14,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tocapet View Post
Why does the travel trailer instruction manual say that I should haul the whole 33' trailer down to the store to get the LP gas tanks refilled? Why can't I just take the tanks?
Maybe the dealership copied a motorhome instruction manual and pasted "Travel Trailer" on the front.
I pull the tanks off my 5th wheel and take them to be filled.
__________________
SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 = 94; booked = 14
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:05 AM   #6
Retired Old Fart
 
dward51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: McDonough, GA
Posts: 815
x4 on just pull them. Also if you have a local LP company (as in that is all they do, fill the big tanks) they will usually be the lowest price to fill a tank. My local LP gas company will fill an empty 20lb tank for about $9. And the fill it to the brim with the overflow screw opened as an indicator in addition to the scale weights. If you do the tank swap at a store, they are usually only 1/2 to 2/3 full and they charge ridiculous prices. Some truck stops and most U-Haul trailer centers (the ones who install hitches, etc...) have LP filing stations. But the local LP gas company is generally the lowest price if you can find one.
__________________
Just the 2 of us in a...
2015 Freedom Express 246RKS
2002 GMC Sierra 1500
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:39 AM   #7
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 22,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tocapet View Post
Why does the travel trailer instruction manual say that I should haul the whole 33' trailer down to the store to get the LP gas tanks refilled? Why can't I just take the tanks?
Probably got a Motorhome manual.
I've always just taken the tanks in.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:33 AM   #8
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Posts: 3,882
Every LP place I've ever had tanks filled at has always required that tanks be carried to a large scale that is directly at the large LP tank that they fill from.

And every time I've taken my trailers to an LP store I've always had to remove the tanks and carry them to said large scale next to the large tank that they fill from.

Never once have the tanks been filled while still mounted on or in the trailers over the years.

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:31 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Every LP place I've ever had tanks filled at has always required that tanks be carried to a large scale that is directly at the large LP tank that they fill from.

And every time I've taken my trailers to an LP store I've always had to remove the tanks and carry them to said large scale next to the large tank that they fill from.

Never once have the tanks been filled while still mounted on or in the trailers over the years.

Reminds me-- I'll be topping off my huge motorhome tank soon! Removing the tank is impossible! So I'll just back the motorhome into the tank fill area at the farmer's supply store.
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:41 AM   #10
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Posts: 3,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvarak View Post
Reminds me-- I'll be topping off my huge motorhome tank soon! Removing the tank is impossible! So I'll just back the motorhome into the tank fill area at the farmer's supply store.
Not sure you noticed I was talking about trailer RV's...

However, I've never witnessed a motorhome with built-in LP tanks getting them filled.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:44 AM   #11
Site Team
 
Mr. Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grayson County, Texas
Posts: 14,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Not sure you noticed I was talking about trailer RV's...

However, I've never witnessed a motorhome with built-in LP tanks getting them filled.
... and so was the original poster (that's what the thread is about) so you're good.
__________________
SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 = 94; booked = 14
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:50 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
BandJCarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Between Pickles Gap and Toad Suck, AR
Posts: 6,061
Wait...................


There's an "RV Instruction Manual"????? Wow.
__________________
"Next to prayer, fishing is the most personal relationship of man" Herbert Hoover
"American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God"Lewis Grizzard

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:55 AM   #13
Site Team
 
Mr. Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grayson County, Texas
Posts: 14,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Wait...................


There's an "RV Instruction Manual"????? Wow.
Yep... and you're the only one who didn't get one on any of your several RVs. How does that make you feel?
__________________
SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 = 94; booked = 14
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:05 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
BandJCarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Between Pickles Gap and Toad Suck, AR
Posts: 6,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Yep... and you're the only one who didn't get one on any of your several RVs. How does that make you feel?

Well, I have always felt with my fingers. But at this age, a lot of feeling is as gone as my next RV payment.


That WAS a joke........and I got all the boilerplate 'manuals'.....but I never got one that said to not remove the LP tanks. MH, yes. TT, no. Wonder why they'd even say such a thing? Some weird view of 'safety' I guess, but unsure what is unsafe about removing them, other than damage to my sacroiliac.
__________________
"Next to prayer, fishing is the most personal relationship of man" Herbert Hoover
"American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God"Lewis Grizzard

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:09 AM   #15
Site Team
 
Mr. Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grayson County, Texas
Posts: 14,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Well, I have always felt with my fingers. But at this age, a lot of feeling is as gone as my next RV payment.


That WAS a joke........and I got all the boilerplate 'manuals'.....but I never got one that said to not remove the LP tanks. MH, yes. TT, no. Wonder why they'd even say such a thing? Some weird view of 'safety' I guess, but unsure what is unsafe about removing them, other than damage to my sacroiliac.
I was also joking since I know you to be a fun-loving guy. I have a boilerplate "manual" for my Wildcat but, to tell the truth, I have no idea what it says about propane tanks since I give myself credit for knowing more than those books (same with knowing more than the technician that did my last PDI)!
__________________
SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 = 94; booked = 14
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:09 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw,NC
Posts: 7,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
x4 on just pull them. Also if you have a local LP company (as in that is all they do, fill the big tanks) they will usually be the lowest price to fill a tank. My local LP gas company will fill an empty 20lb tank for about $9. And the fill it to the brim with the overflow screw opened as an indicator in addition to the scale weights. If you do the tank swap at a store, they are usually only 1/2 to 2/3 full and they charge ridiculous prices. Some truck stops and most U-Haul trailer centers (the ones who install hitches, etc...) have LP filing stations. But the local LP gas company is generally the lowest price if you can find one.


Best place I have found to buy LP is Tractor Supply
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:28 PM   #17
Retired Old Fart
 
dward51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: McDonough, GA
Posts: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Wait...................


There's an "RV Instruction Manual"????? Wow.

Yes, and the wiring color code and schematic for the plumbing and electrical is also included with every trailer, along with the wall, floor and roof interior stud diagrams
__________________
Just the 2 of us in a...
2015 Freedom Express 246RKS
2002 GMC Sierra 1500
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:57 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
TimVWulp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tocapet View Post
Why does the travel trailer instruction manual say that I should haul the whole 33' trailer down to the store to get the LP gas tanks refilled? Why can't I just take the tanks?
Because the lawyers rule and we drool. It all has to do with the liability of removing the LP tanks and transporting them. drink the koolaid and the fine law Firm of Dewey Cheatum & Howe
TimVWulp is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tank

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 PM.