Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2019, 04:11 PM   #1

Furnace and AC Thermostat

My 2018 Georgetowns' thermostat on goes down to 60 degrees, no lower. That's about the max I would turn the furnace up to. 40 or 45 degrees is good to keep the water lines from freezing. 60 degrees would drain my propane tank over night.

I guess this is another engineering marvel.

How have you guys taken care of this problem?
Thanks, Max
Max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max49 View Post
My 2018 Georgetowns' thermostat on goes down to 60 degrees, no lower. That's about the max I would turn the furnace up to. 40 or 45 degrees is good to keep the water lines from freezing. 60 degrees would drain my propane tank over night.

Thanks, Max
If you have the somewhat standard Coleman thermostat with the slide bar, just replace with a digital.

While I don't have a Georgetown I did have the same complaint with the T-stat in my Micro Lite. Slide control only went to 55. I just went out this afternoon and set the temp down to 40 degrees on the replacement digital T-Stat I picked up from Amazon. Looked exactly like the Coleman unit that I removed with wires matching perfectly.

Just what I did to solve my issue. Will of course depend on what kind of t-stat you have in your Georgetown but I'm fairly certain there is a digital one made that will work.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:48 PM   #3

My T stat is digital but controls the furnace, heat pump, fan speed and AC so may not be an easy swap out , unless , it'd be nice if FR came out with a direct replacement with 45 degree T stat
Old 03-11-2019, 11:08 PM   #4

If you provide t-stat manufacturer and a pic, and model number if you have it, someone can probably provide a replacement that would work.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:18 PM   #5

Quote:
My T stat is digital but controls the furnace, heat pump, fan speed and AC so may not be an easy swap out , unless , it'd be nice if FR came out with a direct replacement with 45 degree T stat
Check the manufacturer's (of the t-stat) website and see what they offer. Try to identify the part number. If you have the owner's packet for the trailer it should have a manual that might help you ID the stat as well.
Then search the net for "upgrades". I believe there is a company called "RV upgrades" and I saw a list of various thermostats that were for RV's that had AC, Heat Pump, Furnace like yours.

Most of the listings on Amazon for replacement RV Thermostats will tell what model thermostat they will replace and what systems they are compatible with.

As for FR coming out with a direct replacement, you might be faster to just run one down on the net.

Might also contact places like e-trailer and Hannah RV. Both sell a lot of replacement and upgrade parts online.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:00 AM   #6

Be careful, if yours is a dometic you just can't use any different stat with out some rewire, if it is Dometic and I bet it is, it's best to call them and see what you can do, if it's a Colman, then any stat will work. You should say what stat it is or even a picture that could help in the advice aera.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:57 PM   #7

Thanks guys, I'll look at it again tomorrow and see if I can find a name on it.
I'm in Denver and the way theyve been talking, we're in for the perfect storm of the century tomorrow. And we're planning to cross the Rockies to go to Moab Ut Fri night.

I called Forest River to see if they had an updated thermostat that goes down to 40- 45 degrees.
He called me back; but it's pretty sad that they seem to hire people who seem to have no life experience at all.
He said oh I don't even think it would work at all with a 45 degree T stat. Maybe he grew up in the Caribean
Old 03-13-2019, 03:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks guys, I'll look at it again tomorrow and see if I can find a name on it.
I'm in Denver and the way theyve been talking, we're in for the perfect storm of the century tomorrow. And we're planning to cross the Rockies to go to Moab Ut Fri night.

I called Forest River to see if they had an updated thermostat that goes down to 40- 45 degrees.
He called me back; but it's pretty sad that they seem to hire people who seem to have no life experience at all.
He said oh I don't even think it would work at all with a 45 degree T stat. Maybe he grew up in the Caribean
I was in my RV tonight, I have a single zone H/P, the dometic digital stat go's down past 45 degrees, so dometic does have them, call them. You can also find them on line, the last time I seen them they were about 70 bucks. If it is a multi zone stat you could have a problem, because of the slave stat.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:19 AM   #9

Quote:

Thanks, Max
Sounds like you want to use the low heat setting while the MH is not in use. A quick, simple and cheap solution is to place an electric heater(s) in the unit. They are very easy to control temperatures.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:05 AM   #10

I took a picture but I need a website to host it to.

It's an Atwood

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cd-content....e07eb5ce2e.pdf
Old 03-13-2019, 06:50 PM   #11

A frend told me the easiest way would be to put a 2nd Thermostat just for the furnace and the other one would still control the AC, fan speed and heat pump.
Does any one what color wires would be for the furnace? Hopefully it is an industry standard.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:09 PM   #12

Quote:
A frend told me the easiest way would be to put a 2nd Thermostat just for the furnace and the other one would still control the AC, fan speed and heat pump.
Does any one what color wires would be for the furnace? Hopefully it is an industry standard.
Maybe, if one could get and understand why the appropriate wiring diagrams. I wouldn’t touch it because the wall unit integrates the operation of the heat pump and furnace. Turning the furnace on disables the heat pump, and if the heat pump can’t keep the temperature within a certain range (four degrees, I think) then the furnace will automatically come on...even though it’s not selected.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:21 PM   #13

based on the snow in the pic and covered tires im thinking winterization is the cheapest quickest solution
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:55 PM   #14

Quote:

Woo, not that I know of, I would be careful trying to do that, I never even heard of that, your going to create a short if you don't put a relay in. I wouldn't start to tell you how to do that, it would be bad advice on my part. Good luck..

Old 03-13-2019, 08:35 PM   #15

One possibility would be to find a real inexpensive digital 12 v thermostat and install it with a "transfer switch" alongside your existing T-Stat.

Use a simple single pole, double throw toggle switch to switch the 12 v power from one t-stat to the other. Connect the new T-Stat to the furnace ONLY. Whichever T-stat has power will be the active one and the other can't issue "cross commands" because it has no power.

Since the new t-stat will be for hear only and most likely for freeze protection only, set it for your desired no-freeze temp. When heat/cool cycles are required merely throw the switch to the regular thermostat.

Identifying the 12 v, negative, and furnace control lines can be done by consulting the manual for the original T-Stat.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:08 PM   #16

Back in the early days of space exploration NASA spent millions on the developing of a ball point pen that could be used upside down and weightless. The rooskies spent fifty cents for a box of pencils.

Think about that for a sec.

Tags
furnace, thermostat