Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2021, 05:41 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogieboy View Post
i would rather err on the high side for amperage....LOL i also did not put that together, just snagged it from another site...
I know, I seen that chart also on another site.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:48 PM   #22

I measured the 12vDC amperage draw of the furnace in my Roo and it came to 3.34 amps per hour of flame time. Typical indifferently charged Group 24 camper battery -- the one the dealer supplied years ago -- will rarely supply more than 55 amp hours so you've got maybe 16 hours of flame time. Campers left sitting rarely have full charged batteries and these frequently don't get thru the night. Furnace burns a pound of LP per hour so the battery is the limiting factor.

If you have a generator you can probably run your home natural gas furnace. We do.

-- Chuck
Old 03-08-2021, 07:45 PM   #23

If you don't have a generator connect jumper cables to the battery from your truck and run it a few hours every day.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:53 PM   #24

My diesel generator for RV Dodge 2500

During a recent storm, we lost power to our house and were told it would be out for maybe a few days. I don't have a portable generator and so I couldn't run my RV for even one night because my battery needed replacing.
Thought about trying to find a park for several days but nothing in a comfortable distance so i thought I've got a Cummins diesel that can run for hours without any mechanical issues so with a full (35 gal) diesel tank,
I hooked up the RV to the 7 pin connector and cranked the Dodge to regular idle speed and had full power to the RV battery, 13 or so volts and we slept very comfortably with our Forest River furnace. Used less than 5 gal of diesel and kept the 12 volt system fully charged for the evening.
The next day just ran for the duration until the home power came back; to fully charge the battery about 2 hours at a time. But just idled the truck during the night to keep the 12 at full level.
My Dodge makes a great generator, it's the 2003 Cummins that is much quieter than older models.
PRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:56 PM   #25

Just turn on the stove top on it will heat the living area and probably one bedroom. Will it be tostey pro not will it be freezing no.
Jomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:42 PM   #26

Most rv furnaces will run on 12v. But be aware that after the battery gets to a certain percentage the furnace will go into a safe mode and won't run. It's designed with a safety shut off for when the batteries can't provide enough voltage to run the blower.
Joe M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:59 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomo View Post
Just turn on the stove top on it will heat the living area and probably one bedroom. Will it be tostey pro not will it be freezing no.
Toasty or dead from CO poisoning. We use our truck battery to supplement the RV batteries when running the furnace in below-freezing weather. The two 170A batteries truck batteries are just connected through the 7-pin connector and both battery systems can be recharged the next day with the 220A alternator. We also carry a Little Buddy ceramic heater and several one lb. propane bottles, heavy blankets and quilts, space blankets, and a shovel for any winter emergency situation where we might get stuck in snow (we snowbird in Arizona, but don't leave Colorado until after Christmas). But any time we use the ceramic heater, we leave a roof vent and the kitchen window open a crack. And we never use the kitchen burners for heat!
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:40 PM   #28

We, too, suffered through the big freeze in North Central Texas and were miserable for a full week along with you. Our water supplier lost power to their pumps so we were without water the full week as well. Fortunately hubby planned ahead and filled our big water tanks we use when dry camping. Our toy hauler was in the shop (and still is), otherwise we would have stayed in it and used our generator to keep warm. Instead, our home was 48 degrees inside because our LP furnace could not keep up with the rolling blackouts. Our only savior was a small LP ventless fireplace. Our home was built in 1884 and has LP connections in a few rooms inside the house. We used the generator to power a lamp, the TV, the coffee pot, the blower on that LP fireplace, and our heated throws to keep us a little warmer in the living room where we blocked the doorway by hanging a blanket. The blowerfan on that LP fireplace uses hardly any power and would be a great option if a camper was set up for one. With it, our living room varied between 58 to 64 degrees. With the heated throws, it was bearable. We also live on a steep hill that is not navigable when it is iced over, not even with our 4WD truck. It is like a luge with drainage ditches on both side, and at the bottom is a busy street and another ditch. If we run low on LP, we are SOL because their trucks cannot risk our road and we can't go anywhere for more LP or regular gas for the generator. This storm really caught us off guard, not so much the storm itself, but the loss of power which has been discussed on another thread. We have a larger generator for the house but didn't have enough gas on hand to run it and no way to get more. That was poor planning on our part but this was very unusual weather for us down here. Our big generator is gas and we aren't crazy about keeping a bunch of extra gas in tanks stored. It goes bad without stabilizer and is a safety concern. So we realized we need to get the conversion for dual fuel so we can run the big generator on LP. We can get a couple of large tanks of LP, which doesn't go bad, and will be a lot safer to store. Lessons learned. I have never been so cold for so long in my life and do not want to experience it ever again!
gusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:07 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderBloke View Post
Propane also has a freezing point or at least a point below which it wont work as it cannot turn into gas..

cold propane may not generate a lot of pressure, but SOME will evaporate. the contents of the tank are liquid, with vapor on the top. it will work down to -44oF (-42oC) which is why you can use your bar-ba-q in the middle of teh winter.

Batteries don't like the cold, and only some are mounted to take advantage of the heated space inside the RV. Lead acid is particularly subject to reduced capacity in the cold. Lithium does not like to charge when it is cold.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:56 AM   #30

If you can't find a generator, use your car or truck to keep the battery charged. Hook jumper cables from the vehicle to the rv battery and run the vehicle periodically. Better yet just plug the trailer into your tow vehicle and let it run. Little more simple than all these tables. Just don't do it without your vehicle running or you will have two dead batteries.
Jcape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:21 PM   #31

Well I took my 28' to the lake in Gladewater Texas and it dropped to 25 and I was not hooked up to 110v. Had a good battery but about 3 am it got really cold inside. The battery was used up and with no 12v to the panel it's going to get cold!
hotrod4448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 07:58 AM   #32

Good battery? Maybe. Enough battery? Definitely not.

Even though the bulk of our camping has shorepower these days (state parks seem to be adding more electric sites) having a pair of 6v "golf cart" batteries on the tongue is assuring.

-- Chuck

Tags
furnace