Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2019, 01:04 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
A32Deuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Posts: 9,201
Furnace operation, back firing

2012 SunSeeker, Suburban Furnance, extend a stay kit installed she new. Heater runs and puts out 130 degree air from vents then after about 5 minutes I hear a piping sound outside. You can hear it light and burn then goes off dumping propane the hole time then fires again and keeps doing this. Just started doing it last night. I have searched here, YouTube and the internet and can not find a cure for the issue. Temps in the low 30 range so heat is needed. Running like that burned through a 20 lb tank of propane in 4 hours. Help!
__________________
2012 SunSeeker 3100SS Toad-1962 Futura Average 100 + days camping
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 01:31 PM   #2
Commercial Member
 
ES_FR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 335
A32Deuce,

We would be happy to assist you with your 2012 Sunseeker. Because your ongoing satisfaction is very important to us, we invite you to contact Kary Katzenberger in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: http://www.forestriverinc.com/Direct...23586587315036.

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River
ES_FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 02:18 PM   #3
Head Rambler
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southwest Alabama
Posts: 8,359
Most likely cause is a blocked or dirty burner orifice.
Spider webs are a very common cause of that behavior.
__________________
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a GMC Sierra 2500HD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 02:21 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
SeaDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 7,633
It sound like there is a problem with your flame proving circuit which the direct spark ignition is part of try cleaning the ignitor this is a common problem with household units. Just saw BR reply and also agree with him.
__________________
Retired Navy
Jake my sidekick (yellow Lab) 10/04 - 05/20
2017 RAM 2500 CC 4X4 Cummins Diesel
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 02:26 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 9,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
It sound like there is a problem with your flame proving circuit which the direct spark ignition is part of try cleaning the ignitor this is a common problem with household units. Just saw BR reply and also agree with him.
If only Suburban RV furnaces were as easy to access for service as household units

Can't speak for all but to get to any serviceable parts on mine I have to remove the furnace which requires removing kitchen drawers and a couple internal panels.

I keep my fingers crossed.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:05 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
A32Deuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Posts: 9,201
Thank you. Sent.
__________________
2012 SunSeeker 3100SS Toad-1962 Futura Average 100 + days camping
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:06 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
A32Deuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Posts: 9,201
Clear.
__________________
2012 SunSeeker 3100SS Toad-1962 Futura Average 100 + days camping
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:12 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
A32Deuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Posts: 9,201
Mine is easy to get too. Remove a inlet vent cover, a panel, disconnect the propane line and pull out. Haven't done that yet till I can find something positive too look for or do. They sound like good ideas, but it happened in like a couple hours running. We have been gone since the Monday before thanksgiving and using the heat with no problem. That's why I think its not that simple. Maybe an hours thing!
__________________
2012 SunSeeker 3100SS Toad-1962 Futura Average 100 + days camping
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:42 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
A32Deuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Posts: 9,201
Up date. Mobile repair stopped and determined it was the unit propane regulator. Office at CG had a brand new same one. 5 minutes to swap out and all is back to normal. Less then $100 for service call and part.
__________________
2012 SunSeeker 3100SS Toad-1962 Futura Average 100 + days camping
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:49 PM   #10
Head Rambler
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southwest Alabama
Posts: 8,359
Thanks for letting us know what it was. Did the serviceman say if it was low pressure or high?
__________________
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a GMC Sierra 2500HD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:02 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
A32Deuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Posts: 9,201
The built in regulator for a class C. Drops the built in tank pressure to low pressure. Took about 10 minutes to figure it out. The regulator is after my Extend a stay attachment. He thinks with the cold temps, moisture may have frozen and cracked it causing the heater to act funny.
__________________
2012 SunSeeker 3100SS Toad-1962 Futura Average 100 + days camping
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:11 AM   #12
Head Rambler
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southwest Alabama
Posts: 8,359
That's interesting, and very good to know. I'll try to remember that as a possible cause.
__________________
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a GMC Sierra 2500HD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 02:50 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,203
Not an expert, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
If only Suburban RV furnaces were as easy to access for service as household units

Can't speak for all but to get to any serviceable parts on mine I have to remove the furnace which requires removing kitchen drawers and a couple internal panels.

I keep my fingers crossed.
Hmm. I have only looked at a few units beyond our two, but in all of them, the entire furnace can be removed by removing the grille and front plenum cover, and disconnecting the propane. Less than 10 minutes. You leave the plenum and ducting in place and just pull the guts out.

Mike, can you post a picture or two, maybe after you take the grille off?
__________________
Larry

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 02:57 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,203
Not the first time for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Up date. Mobile repair stopped and determined it was the unit propane regulator. Office at CG had a brand new same one. 5 minutes to swap out and all is back to normal. Less then $100 for service call and part.
Not the first time for me. The expected life of these regulators is 10 years. Not surprised to find that your nine-year-old one died.

The first time I messed with a Suburban furnace I followed the steps in the service manual, except that I skipped the step about checking the pressure because I didn't have a gauge. After several hours (wasted), I built a manometer ($5 of parts and an hour of labor) and identified the problem as a failed regulator. I learned my lesson. I still have the manometer and I distrust the regulators.

There are lots of web articles and video on how to build a manometer.
__________________
Larry

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 02:58 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Hmm. I have only looked at a few units beyond our two, but in all of them, the entire furnace can be removed by removing the grille and front plenum cover, and disconnecting the propane. Less than 10 minutes. You leave the plenum and ducting in place and just pull the guts out.

Mike, can you post a picture or two, maybe after you take the grille off?
It's great when they are like that but many are not and need to be removed from the inside . the only thing you will see on the out side is the combustion air in and exhaust out with no panel to remove .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:07 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,203
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
It's great when they are like that but many are not and need to be removed from the inside . the only thing you will see on the out side is the combustion air in and exhaust out with no panel to remove .
Uhhh, Mr. M. I was indeed describing how you remove them from the inside. The only thing on the outside is that little 3" x 6" double vent.

It sounds like you've never removed one from the inside.
__________________
Larry

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:26 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Uhhh, Mr. M. I was indeed describing how you remove them from the inside. The only thing on the outside is that little 3" x 6" double vent.

It sounds like you've never removed one from the inside.
Mis read thought you were talking about removing the one with the outside access. Now there's no need to be insulting as I've done more of these then you can count up to . Now it seems you haven't dealt with the setup's with the outside panels then you would know what i was talking about
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 05:03 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Dunn, NC
Posts: 1,103
Hope itís fixed

Good place to get advise. Good suggestions. You may have noticed there are strong personalities on here. Even so, suggestions are good.
Play nice children 😊
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 05:55 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Mis read thought you were talking about removing the one with the outside access. Now there's no need to be insulting as I've done more of these then you can count up to . Now it seems you haven't dealt with the setup's with the outside panels then you would know what i was talking about
I have indeed seen those; my friend Steve has one in his Park Model.

But I'm not clairvoyant. I was unable to figure out your error.
__________________
Larry

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 06:40 PM   #20
waybeck2018
 
waybeck2018's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Central Alabama
Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
Good place to get advise. Good suggestions. You may have noticed there are strong personalities on here. Even so, suggestions are good.
Play nice children 😊

X2 Play nice !!!
__________________
2012 F-250, 6.7 Super Duty Powerstroke; 2019 291 BR Primetime Tracer,
Days camped in 2018-61

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 PM.