Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2022, 03:47 PM   #21

I enjoy my small 12V electric blanket that works great when boondocking. I also prefer my small, quiet electric heater with a thermostat on it over running the furnace.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 04:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
A problem with NOT running the furnace. Condensation. Heat dries the air.

If you don't run the furnace, you should open some windows and your roof vents to allow water vapor to escape. Otherwise, human exhaust...exhaled breath and evaporation from your skin...can build up and condense out on the interior of the cabin. This is substantially worse when there is high humidity, it's raining, or it's very cold.
Just to nit pick. A furnace will not remove moisture from the air. Only an AC unit or a dehumidifier will do that. Hot air can hold more moisture that cold air, but the moisture will still be there. The RELATIVE humidity will appear lower. Most people incorrectly complain that running a furnace adds moisture to the air because the cold walls will condense quicker when the heat is on. Furnaces do not add moisture. As mentioned above they also do not remove it.

You are correct on needing ventilation is cold weather. Or we run a dehumidifier when ever we camp.

Jim M.
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 06:29 PM   #23

As others have mentioned, if plugged into shore power, then use an electric heater. If you are not plugged in, I have solved this problem and made my fan run continuously when I turn it on. Only uses about 25 watts to run the fan on my little Suburban furnace, I have a 4 LiFePo batteries and could run it for more than a week continuously without charging batteries. This mod will need to be done by a competent person. Details at this link... https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2680538

PS. I no longer have the XLR, this heater is a 19kbtu/hr furnace
Old 05-12-2022, 01:14 PM   #24

Thank you for all the great feedback. This is an awesome way to learn about this RV life.
Desmo007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater