Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2021, 08:38 AM   #1

Is there a trick to check a propane tank's level

Sorry for the newbie question. My rv has two thirty gallon tanks for propane. I have a meter for liquids but I don’t see one for propane. It would be nice to refill one while running off the other. Not sure if they feed evenly or not.
DMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 08:49 AM   #2

I bought the Mopeka monitor for two propane tanks. A monitor mounted inside my TT and an app for my phone. Uses sensors attached to bottom of tanks with magnets.

Has worked flawlessly and eliminated all guessing.

AP Products 1212.13 024-1000 Tank Check LP with Monitor Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C5RQI74...QA12ZA1Z4YFSN0

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 08:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I bought the Mopeka monitor for two propane tanks. A monitor mounted inside my TT and an app for my phone. Uses sensors attached to bottom of tanks with magnets.

Has worked flawlessly and eliminated all guessing.

AP Products 1212.13 024-1000 Tank Check LP with Monitor Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C5RQI74...QA12ZA1Z4YFSN0

X2
We just got the same and wished we had done it years ago! (Lost a fridge full of food at the beginning of a trip when we ran out of propane sometime during the drive)
Daxinarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:00 AM   #4
Part-Time Campground Host

Looks like a new toy is on my list!
We usually turn the selector to just one tank. When that runs out we select the other and then fill the empty one. Problem is it always runs out at night when the temps are in the 30s. Switching over in my undies gets cold.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:08 AM   #5

Lots of ways to check propane w/o buying sensors that are iffy at best. My gadget buddy has been through about half a dozen propane sensors and none of them were very accurate. But he likes to play with that stuff.
I can usually feel the temp difference on the tank where the propane level is. Weight is good way also, I just loosen up the one hold down and lift.
You should have an automatic changover regulator that will have an indicator that tells you when one bottle is empty and it has switched to the other bottle. The indicator usually goes from green to red and the manual switchover handle will point to the empty bottle. Changing the manual handle to the other tank will turn the indicator to green and you refill the empty bottle.
If you use the auto switch over valve as intended, leaving both bottles on, you should never have to change your bottles over in the middle of the night. Of course that means you have to check the indicator occasionally
After a little experience, you get a feel for when you need to check and refill.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:09 AM   #6

if you pour hot water over the tank then you can run your hand down the side. Where it transitions from warm to cool is the propane level inside the tank.
asr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:09 AM   #7

Might check your tanks, DMan, I suspect they are (2) 20lb tanks (each holding 4.6 gal of propane), for a total of 40lbs, or 9.2 gallons total.

Regardless, most of these rigs don't ship with propane meters (especially travel trailers with the portable/refillable/exchangeable 20lb tanks).

They don't feed evenly, they draw in series. There's a regulator between the two tanks, that identify which of your two tanks is the primary (and which is reserve), and - when the primary runs dry - automatically switches from one tank to the other. You manually identify which tank you want to be primary by turning the regulator to "point" at the primary tank. The regulator has some clear windows in the handle that display green when they see pressure in the tank. When the primary tank runs dry, the regulator turns from green to red, and then switches to your 'reserve' tank.

Here's a little vid showing the setup:

So, while you don't have a propane level meter, you do have a way to see when you're out on one side (and are ready for a refill/replacement).

Hope this helps.
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumblefish View Post
Might check your tanks, DMan, I suspect they are (2) 20lb tanks (each holding 4.6 gal of propane), for a total of 40lbs, or 9.2 gallons total.

Most fifth wheels of any size come with 2 - 30lb tanks as the specs on his confirm.
Old 08-12-2021, 09:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Lots of ways to check propane w/o buying sensors that are iffy at best. My gadget buddy has been through about half a dozen propane sensors and none of them were very accurate. But he likes to play with that stuff.
I can usually feel the temp difference on the tank where the propane level is. Weight is good way also, I just loosen up the one hold down and lift.
You should have an automatic changover regulator that will have an indicator that tells you when one bottle is empty and it has switched to the other bottle. The indicator usually goes from green to red and the manual switchover handle will point to the empty bottle. Changing the manual handle to the other tank will turn the indicator to green and you refill the empty bottle.
If you use the auto switch over valve as intended, leaving both bottles on, you should never have to change your bottles over in the middle of the night. Of course that means you have to check the indicator occasionally
After a little experience, you get a feel for when you need to check and refill.
I agree that a lot of older attempts to monitor lpg tank levels fell short.

The Mopeka system is the first I've found reliable. Their system is also used on LPG bulk tanks.

Mopeka just recently released sensors for water tanks that are merely glued to the bottom of the tank.

Times and technology change.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Most fifth wheels of any size come with 2 - 30lb tanks as the specs on his confirm.
My 2021 came with twin 20's. I'm told this is the standard now since its easier to swap them at a propane exchange...or at least that was the dealer's story.

I fitted twin 30's with little to no effort.
asr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I agree that a lot of older attempts to monitor lpg tank levels fell short.

The Mopeka system is the first I've found reliable. Their system is also used on LPG bulk tanks.

Mopeka just recently released sensors for water tanks that are merely glued to the bottom of the tank.

Times and technology change.
I agree about tech constantly changing, sometimes for the better, sometimes not.
The current sensors my buddy has are the Mopeka. He had one tank that would never register even close. The tank itself must have had a defect or something in the bottom of the tank as when he replaced the actual tank, the sensor then worked fine. He does complain about battery life and having to remove the tank to replace them, but that is small stuff.
I guess I'm just simple, but any RV propane sensor has little, if any, value for me. It is one of those solutions looking for a problem
Old 08-12-2021, 09:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr524 View Post
My 2021 came with twin 20's. I'm told this is the standard now since its easier to swap them at a propane exchange...or at least that was the dealer's story.

I fitted twin 30's with little to no effort.
You know, I have seen that on a few new fifth wheels, but the ones I saw had 3 - 20lb tanks. I can see the reasoning for exchange purposes.
Now I'm wondering how the auto-switchover is handled for 3 tanks? I will have to go back and look.
Old 08-12-2021, 09:58 AM   #13

Quote:
You know, I have seen that on a few new fifth wheels, but the ones I saw had 3 - 20lb tanks. I can see the reasoning for exchange purposes.
Now I'm wondering how the auto-switchover is handled for 3 tanks? I will have to go back and look.
Our previous rig before we downsized was an Arctic Fox fifth wheel, it cam with 2-30 gal tanks. I was glad we have a propane supplier that didn’t need to have them pulled out of where they were mounted as filled, those buggers are not the most fun to lift. I’m not so sure I would want to add the weight by putting them on the tongue of a trailer.
Rolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:31 AM   #14

Thanks for the great feedback. You guys don’t just throw the empty tank in the bed of your pickup, do you? I’m talking about taking the empty for refilling. It’s a big tank. Maybe better in the cab?
DMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMan View Post
Thanks for the great feedback. You guys don’t just throw the empty tank in the bed of your pickup, do you? I’m talking about taking the empty for refilling. It’s a big tank. Maybe better in the cab?
I strap it upright in the bed with a cargo strap. Cut one of my straps to length just for this job.

Old 08-12-2021, 10:34 AM   #16

Quote:

If there is a leak, where would you prefer the leak to occur?
Isn’t the point of the bed of the truck to haul “big stuff”? Otherwise I would just use the DW’s mini-van
Put it in the bed, and strap it in place so it doesn’t roll around.
Old 08-12-2021, 10:36 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxinarian View Post
If there is a leak, where would you prefer the leak to occur?
Isn’t the point of the bed of the truck to haul “big stuff”? Otherwise I would just use the DW’s mini-van
Put it in the bed, and strap it in place so it doesn’t roll around.
It is dangerous to travel with a tank on its side, so it's extremely important to keep the propane tank in a vertical position during transport. ALWAYS place the cylinder in a well-ventilated area of the vehicle. ALWAYS close the cylinder valve. Seal it with a plug if required—even if the cylinder is empty.

Old 08-12-2021, 10:39 AM   #18

Is there a trick to check a tanks level

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
It is dangerous to travel with a tank on its side, so it's extremely important to keep the propane tank in a vertical position during transport. ALWAYS place the cylinder in a well-ventilated area of the vehicle. ALWAYS close the cylinder valve. Seal it with a plug if required—even if the cylinder is empty.

You are right, I should have specified upright. And strap it in place so that it doesn’t fall over and roll around. Also to prevent it from flying through the air and smacking you in the back of the head should you get in an accident.
Old 08-12-2021, 10:40 AM   #19
D W

Quote:
"throw it in the bed of the truck"? No, place in the bed of the truck and secure it. Go get it filled, strap it back down and go home. Why would you put a propane cylinder in the cab of your truck?
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:56 AM   #20

Quote:

Things that belong in the Cab: spouse, well behaving children, buddies, eggs, snacks and drinks for the driver.
Things that belong in the bed of the truck:
Anything hazardous like propane, fuel cans, or mother-in-laws
anything dirty (exceptions may be made for children), lumber, firewood, buddies who are drunk and might puke in the cab…
Poorly behaved children (just kidding)

Tags
check, tank