Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2021, 02:36 PM   #1

It's Been Beeping-- Why?

This is the third time I am trying to post this question but it doesn't seem to go through. I hope you don't see the same question from me three times.

We just bought a 2021 Wildwood 171rbxl. It has been in my driveway for 12 days and we plan to head out for 8 days on Monday.

This afternoon it started beeping inside, four sharp beeps from the ceiling but I can't pinpoint. Same thing after I connected shore power so it was not a dead battery.

I hadn't used the stove or heat so didn't think CO or propane. I don't know where that detector is. (Why is there no owners manual?)

I turned off the propane and opened a window and the door and the beeping stopped in about 15 minutes more. I would say propane leak but no smell and why nothing for 12 days?

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks.

Dennis
Trvl_Far is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 02:41 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Beeps from the ceiling usually indicate a smoke detector (usually mounted high) and not a CO/LP detector since those gasses are heavier than air they go to the floor.

Do you have a smoke detector in your R/V and if you test it, are the beeping noises the same?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 02:45 PM   #3

The propane leak detector should be located close to the floor. Celling beeping would indicate the smoke alarm.
Old 05-21-2021, 02:58 PM   #4

The sound did not appear to be coming from the smoke detector. I had my head right next to it and the sound was coming from my left.
Having said that the sound was similar. Naturally there have been no flames in there. Could dust have set it off?
Old 05-21-2021, 03:10 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trvl_Far View Post
The sound did not appear to be coming from the smoke detector. I had my head right next to it and the sound was coming from my left.
Having said that the sound was similar. Naturally there have been no flames in there. Could dust have set it off?
What is located to the left?
Was it from the ceiling for sure?
Sound can bounce off hard surfaces.
Radio alarm? Microwave beeping? Travel clock stuck up in a cabinet? Old digital wrist watch?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 12:45 PM   #6

Dust can set off a CO detector. As can dog and cat fur. And the first time that happens, it wakes you out of deep sleep. Vacuuming it made the difference.
And even the faintest hint of propane (re, we couldn't smell it) set it off on a neighbor's. Turned out one stove burner, barely opened, did it. And that's actually a good thing.

Long Leaf Piners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 03:11 PM   #7

Beeping

Your battery is low if battery is low propane alarm will beep.
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 03:23 PM   #8
OYO

It could be the end of life warning.

CO/LP Detectors have a pre determined lifespan. Ours was five years.

Here's from our manual:

END OF LIFE ALARM - Beeps every 30 seconds
Red Red Green Green Flashes
Push reset button to reset for 3 days –
Replace within 30 days.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 04:42 PM   #9

It is curious that the sound is coming from the ceiling. I agree that should only be a smoke detector, as by the time loose heavier-than-air propane gets to the ceiling you'd be in real trouble. If it was a low battery causing the smoke detector to beep (I'm not aware that any smoke detectors do this...but maybe...) then it seems like the LP detector would also be beeping, because they are designed to beep when battery power gets low. I don't have a plausible explanation answer for that unless the smoke detector does have a low battery circuit and it's more sensitive than the one in the LP detector.
Its not an end-of-life situation for any detectors in a 2021 trailer.
And it didn't stop when connected to shore power, which either means its not the battery, or the shore power is not charging the battery. Any possibility that your battery disconnect switch is in the off position?
But if it was a low power situation it would still happen even with the windows open. I cannot get all the symptoms to line up with one cause.
Unless your battery is, in fact, not charged, what you describe (that opening the windows caused the beeping to stop) the alarm is trying to tell you something that could be important for your health/life. New rig, I'd head to the dealer before I headed for the boondocks.
Old 05-23-2021, 04:56 AM   #10

Open the windows and let it air out for a few days. Depending on build date it could just be off gassing from the plastics and glues involved in the build.
Old 05-23-2021, 05:05 AM   #11

Someone at the factory lost their watch when it was built
Old 05-23-2021, 06:32 AM   #12

Our fridge will beep when power is failing or propane runs out. I'm so deaf that I have to have someone with better hearing find beeps for me.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFD47 View Post
It is curious that the sound is coming from the ceiling. I agree that should only be a smoke detector, as by the time loose heavier-than-air propane gets to the ceiling you'd be in real trouble. If it was a low battery causing the smoke detector to beep (I'm not aware that any smoke detectors do this...but maybe...) then it seems like the LP detector would also be beeping, because they are designed to beep when battery power gets low. I don't have a plausible explanation answer for that unless the smoke detector does have a low battery circuit and it's more sensitive than the one in the LP detector.
Its not an end-of-life situation for any detectors in a 2021 trailer.
And it didn't stop when connected to shore power, which either means its not the battery, or the shore power is not charging the battery. Any possibility that your battery disconnect switch is in the off position?
But if it was a low power situation it would still happen even with the windows open. I cannot get all the symptoms to line up with one cause.
Unless your battery is, in fact, not charged, what you describe (that opening the windows caused the beeping to stop) the alarm is trying to tell you something that could be important for your health/life. New rig, I'd head to the dealer before I headed for the boondocks.
My smoke detector has a 9 volt battery and does beep if the battery gets weak. It is the same in my home smoke detectors even though they are powered by AC. The battery keeps the smoke detector working in case of power failure. The 4 beeps may be a clue if the OP has a manual or the make and model.
dave1650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:47 AM   #14

Bucky may be on to the solution. As I said, it stopped about 15 minutes after I opened the window and door so it can't be dead battery or shore power issue.
My best guess is that it was the propane detector, the sound bouncing off the ceiling. Possibly the smoke detector based on dust but I hope it was just the new vinyl gassing off, never to be repeated.

Thanks everyone.
Old 05-23-2021, 11:01 AM   #15
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky53 View Post
Open the windows and let it air out for a few days. Depending on build date it could just be off gassing from the plastics and glues involved in the build.
X 2 Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote