Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2021, 10:25 PM   #1

It's hot today and my almost full propane tank stopped working

Got my new dual fuel generator and fired it up for the 5-hr break-in period using propane and left it overnight in the backyard. The following day around 2pm, I ran the genny for a few minutes and turned it off to relocate it with the tank. I hooked it up and the genny won't work. Wth? I know it's almost full because I just had it refilled at Costco same day. So I tried my 2nd tank and it worked! So I guess it's so hot here today high 90s) and the high heat prevented it for being used.
I never had a problem using my uncovered tt propane tank. I plan on using only propane on the genny. I wonder if it was just overfilled? Any thoughts?

Life is sometimes short, make the memories last longer- go RVing and just enjoy Life
roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 08:20 AM   #2

It sounds like the safety shutoff on the propane tank has activated. Close the tank valve connect it to the system and very slowly open the valve this will reset the safety valve. Did you check the weight of the tank to see if it is empty? good luck
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 04:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
It sounds like the safety shutoff on the propane tank has activated. Close the tank valve connect it to the system and very slowly open the valve this will reset the safety valve. Did you check the weight of the tank to see if it is empty? good luck
I think you're correct, thanks.The heat added more pressure. I have to use my leather gloves to switch the tanks yesterday. Today I tested it for 3 hours running the tt AC and it's fine. Of course it's hot here again, 98F, ugh!

Life is sometimes short, make the memories last longer- go RVing and just enjoy Life
Old 05-31-2021, 05:45 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster View Post
I think you're correct, thanks.The heat added more pressure. I have to use my leather gloves to switch the tanks yesterday. Today I tested it for 3 hours running the tt AC and it's fine. Of course it's hot here again, 98F, ugh!

It's not the "added" pressure, as much as how you open the cylinder valve as SeaDog explained.

Here are couple of videos to explain:

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 08:58 PM   #5

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
It's not the "added" pressure, as much as how you open the cylinder valve as SeaDog explained.

Here are couple of videos to explain:

Oh yeah. That makes sense. I was in a hurry opening the valve coz my fingers were burning. Duh. I did not use the leather gloves after switching tanks. Thnx for reiterating that. Good to know to always turn the valve on slowly.

Tags
propane, tank