Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2015, 05:02 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping baba View Post
I leave one tank open and the other one shut off .it is easer to turn the other tank on when it goes empty than try to find a propane station in the middle of the night .
Same here, always on while travelling also
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:14 PM   #22
Site Team - Lou

I have changed my mind on this.

For years I left the gas open and ran our fridge on propane while driving.

I saw my third RV on the side of the road burned up from a propane fire recently.

Now I freeze small water bottles and toss them into the lower compartment and shut off the gas at the bottles.

I could never replace our camper with what the insurance would pay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23373174_BG1.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	81766   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3271857415.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	81767  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:28 PM   #23

I have always left both tanks open and watch the indicator which will tell you when the automatic switch transfers to the other tank. Switch the indicator knob to the full tank, and you can disconnect the empty tank and not loose any LP. Put the newly filled tank, open the valve and you are set until the other tank empties, then repeat the process. As said earlier, the only time you must turn off the tanks is where restricted by DOT in tunnels and on some bridges.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:31 AM   #24
Aging Junior Member

We have a fiver and are fortunate not to have to run more than 5-6 hours a day. No marathons. When traveling, we turn the fridge off and restart it when we settle in at days end. Never a problem. Even the ice stays crisp.
Jeff95814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:35 AM   #25

the scary thing about Lou's photos, if the coach burned from propane, the coach could have burned parked, with or without people present. Its hard to imagine anything about being mobile that would have made a difference. Aside from maybe fanning the flames some. Lets assume for a moment, this fire started in the refer compartment. Both Dometic and Norcold have had recalls to install a thermal switch to shut down propane valves in the case of fire. This coach could have been one that was missed. Fires that start in the chimney area are isolated to a great degree from the inside. Im basically stating there is a chance to have a fairly large fire in this area before one is ever aware. That same chimney that uses convection to cool the coils would feed a fire quite well. Your RV may be fully involved in fire before your aware. This guy might have been lucky. Some states used to allow rubber lp hoses to appliances. I would not want that. I would also want current recalls performed and some form of thermal switch regardless of where I was operating the refer. Thank You Lou for the thought provoking post.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:59 PM   #26

Been accused of turning every thread into a mental exercise. Not wanting to disappoint here so here goes. I noticed the burned coach was a wildcat bunkhouse as evidenced by the name on the coach and the stacked windows in the rear. Went online and found whatever I could of these I could find. Every floorplan(with pass rear bunks) looked like this configuration in the passenger rear area. Back to the burned unit picture. See what appears to be the refer coils next to the windows? This is also the area of greatest heat concentration as evidenced by the roofline. This does appear to be a result of a fire in the refer compartment area. It is the one gas appliance usually on while traveling.
So after my previous post and now this one, I probably got some people freaked out. But, I would not leave you without hope. An idea, and Im going to make public domain right now. I saw a thermo disc switch online for about $3.50. And a 105db 12v siren for about $15. Hang a switch(180degree normally open) up in the chimney and wire it to a siren. The siren is available in flush or surface mount(I like the surface). My thinking is, even though a recall is done, the thermal switch just shuts off the valve. It wont warn of a fire. Like I stated before, the chimney is well sealed, you could have quite a fire before a smoke alarm will sound. Or, maybe the paneling vinyl will smoke, giving your smoke alarm plenty of time to respond. Open for comments...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2004_wildcat_28bh_floorplan.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	82214  
Old 07-06-2015, 06:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
Been accused of turning every thread into a mental exercise. Not wanting to disappoint here so here goes. I noticed the burned coach was a wildcat bunkhouse as evidenced by the name on the coach and the stacked windows in the rear. Went online and found whatever I could of these I could find. Every floorplan(with pass rear bunks) looked like this configuration in the passenger rear area. Back to the burned unit picture. See what appears to be the refer coils next to the windows? This is also the area of greatest heat concentration as evidenced by the roofline. This does appear to be a result of a fire in the refer compartment area. It is the one gas appliance usually on while traveling.
So after my previous post and now this one, I probably got some people freaked out. But, I would not leave you without hope. An idea, and Im going to make public domain right now. I saw a thermo disc switch online for about $3.50. And a 105db 12v siren for about $15. Hang a switch(180degree normally open) up in the chimney and wire it to a siren. The siren is available in flush or surface mount(I like the surface). My thinking is, even though a recall is done, the thermal switch just shuts off the valve. It wont warn of a fire. Like I stated before, the chimney is well sealed, you could have quite a fire before a smoke alarm will sound. Or, maybe the paneling vinyl will smoke, giving your smoke alarm plenty of time to respond. Open for comments...
I thought I would throw my two cents of non wisdom in on this...lol.

The worst trailer fire I ever saw was caused by a bad bearing in the right rear wheel. By the time the driver saw there was a problem, it was pull over and watch it go up in flames.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:53 PM   #28

well the hubs do look intact on this one. and judging by the direction of smoke travel, it did start on the passenger side...
Old 07-06-2015, 07:26 PM   #29

Other countries burn propane in trucks and cars. Gasoline in a thin plastic tank seems a lot more dangerous in an accident. Just a thought..
Simplewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:21 PM   #30

I have done a couple propane conversions. both fuels have their issues. if you have a gas tank impacted in an accident, you got a bad situation. the propane line to the converter under the hood is liquid, braided steel yet rubber, and under full tank pressure. that gets ruptured or burns in an accident, you have a bad situation as well. what Im trying to focus on here is a non-accident from a collision stand point. it seems that maybe this situation is played out due to its failure to gain traction on the boards. the concept is still here though for those who believe it makes sense. I would energize from a circuit other than the refer and use high temp wire. should get you a couple minute head start. I actually thought turbs and coot might be in a foot race to build the first one...silly me
Old 07-07-2015, 01:04 PM   #31

Seems there is a lot of assumptions here. To bad about the trailer, but that can be replaced. Who knows if any mods were done to the propane lines, and if they where done correctly. It is perfectly safe to travel with your refer on IMO. Furnace no, refer yes.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:08 PM   #32

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
Wow. Pull that "fact" out of a hat? That is clearly false.
X2
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:17 PM   #33

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Seems there is a lot of assumptions here. To bad about the trailer, but that can be replaced. Who knows if any mods were done to the propane lines, and if they where done correctly. It is perfectly safe to travel with your refer on IMO. Furnace no, refer yes.
X2

Done this since 1965, Refrigerator on in fact had propane only fridge in my 1982 Corsair. Electric burned out.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:24 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
granted..a lot of assumptions..some even stacked on top of other assumptions. I like educated conjecture..sounds better... but that still falls under assumption I guess. I think the odds are better that a recall was missed than a modified lp line. but, if you call a loose connection or something improperly done a modification as well, then odds swing the other way maybe. maybe more likelihood than a missed recall. dometic and norcold both got on this recall pretty hard. maybe the stats are pretty high on these refer fires. curious..why do you deem the furnace unsafe for travel??
Old 07-07-2015, 04:49 PM   #35

Crockett, I personally consider the difference between a burner that is subject to roll out compared to a coil being lit being more dangerous. Let alone the cycle of a furnace with igniting when you could very well have a cross wind reducing the correct combustion air needed for a Safe Flame without getting delayed ignition or reduced exhaust. Just my opinion. Dealing with propane furnaces for 20 years, I just think it is not worth the chance. There is no real burner in-shot or ribbon type in a Refer. We will never know if a recall was missed being it doesn't state the year of the unit. But I have seen many propane line cut and added on to. I guess you can call that conjunction also.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:00 PM   #36
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
I have done a couple propane conversions. both fuels have their issues. if you have a gas tank impacted in an accident, you got a bad situation. the propane line to the converter under the hood is liquid, braided steel yet rubber, and under full tank pressure. that gets ruptured or burns in an accident, you have a bad situation as well. what Im trying to focus on here is a non-accident from a collision stand point. it seems that maybe this situation is played out due to its failure to gain traction on the boards. the concept is still here though for those who believe it makes sense. I would energize from a circuit other than the refer and use high temp wire. should get you a couple minute head start. I actually thought turbs and coot might be in a foot race to build the first one...silly me
Probably would if I thought it was worth the effort. I just don't see the need or alarm being generated here. I will continue to travel with the propane and the refrigerator on.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:20 PM   #37
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I feel the same way. I have traveled in my RVs for 30 years always with the refrig on gas during travel. Will continue to do so. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:48 PM   #38

thanks guys..appreciate the feedback. Of course, the alarm would have no benefit while traveling unless the coach was occupied, otherwise just while occupied stationary. The benefit hopefully would be a few minute advance warning over what a smoke alarm or your senses might give.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:27 PM   #39

Here's my .05, due to inflation.

We have never and will never travel with the gas turned on(unless we forget).

At least the day before a trip, I turn the frig on to the coldest setting using AC.

Only put already cold items in. And only the things we might have to have.

We go to the local grocery when we arrive at the destination(unless it is in a remote area) and buy all that we will need. Cold items too. This saves a (little) on the weight and having to keep it cool.

I fill up the ice bucket before we leave and the ice is hardly melted when we arrive.

We don't open the door while we are in route and have gone 11 hours before and things are as cold as before.

If you have ever traveled in the south, especially south MS, you know it can get real hot.

Also, before we break camp and travel; I'll have the BOSS light the stove and I'll make sure the gas bottles are turned off.

These are just some things we do, and it works for us.

In other words, less chance of anything going !!!!
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:54 PM   #40

I'm in my 4th TT since the early 1970s and have always run with the frig on propane. It was "designed" to travel while on. Never heard of anyone having a problem from a frig being on except being fined for going through the Mobile AL Tunnel with the frig on.
I worry a great deal more about the cars coming at me at 70 mph and only separated by a paint stripe on the ground.
I say if it makes you feel all fuzzy inside to turn it off, then do so.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank, valve