Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2018, 05:51 PM   #21

quick connect at the RV propane tank and 20lb tank

Do you need the quick connect at the RV propane tank to use a portable grill? My grill uses a 20 lb portable tank so it doesn't use the propane bottles. I'm having a difficult time figuring out what I need to get this configuration to work with the RV propane. I've watch many youtube videos but they all connect to the propane bottle connection and not the 20 lb tank connection.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
125992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:07 PM   #22

to 125992: as I understand you want to run your portable grill from the propane tanks in the trailer as opposed to a separate 20 lb tank. many ways to do this. probably the easiest is to buy a y adapter that screws onto the acme nut on the propane tank and has two outputs for acme nuts. take the hose from your trailer off the tank, put the adapter on the tank, and put the trailer hose onto one of the two adapters outputs. buy a propane extension hose (whatever length you want or need) that has a male acme fitting on one end and a female on the other. simply screw the extension hose onto the 2nd fitting on the y adapter and then screw you existing hose acme nut onto the other end of the extension hose. no cutting, pipe threading, or plumbing required. look on line at any rv supply site or a site like 'mr heater. depending upon what you want to do there are other solutions.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
to 125992: as I understand you want to run your portable grill from the propane tanks in the trailer as opposed to a separate 20 lb tank. many ways to do this. probably the easiest is to buy a y adapter that screws onto the acme nut on the propane tank and has two outputs for acme nuts. take the hose from your trailer off the tank, put the adapter on the tank, and put the trailer hose onto one of the two adapters outputs. buy a propane extension hose (whatever length you want or need) that has a male acme fitting on one end and a female on the other. simply screw the extension hose onto the 2nd fitting on the y adapter and then screw you existing hose acme nut onto the other end of the extension hose. no cutting, pipe threading, or plumbing required. look on line at any rv supply site or a site like 'mr heater. depending upon what you want to do there are other solutions.
Thanks for the quick response. I don't want to bring the 20lb propane tank on RV trips. I have purchased a Tee connection with a hose online but the Tee connection didn't fit my RV regulator connection and the hose end would not fit on my grill connection, so I need to return it and start over again. Sorry I don't know all the connection names.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:26 PM   #24

i don't know all the names properly either. I believe the connection on the tank is called a male acme connection. I may be wrong about that. and even though they a male on the outside they have threads on the inside also. the nut on the hose you screw onto this tank connection is called an acme nut. the adapter you need would have fittings on it to allow two hoses with acme nuts to screw onto it. one would be for your trailer and one for the grill. the adapter will need to connect to the tank via either the outside or inside threads.

there should be extension hoses with the proper fittings. the existing hose from your grill needs to connect to one end of the hose and the other end of the hose needs to connect to the output port of the adapter.

now we could make it even simpler. first get the proper extension hose. when you want to use it, connect extension hose to existing grill hose, turn valve on tank off, disconnect trailer hose, connect grill extension hose, turn valve on tank on, enjoy!
Old 05-14-2018, 07:55 PM   #25

Post a picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by 125992 View Post
Do you need the quick connect at the RV propane tank to use a portable grill? My grill uses a 20 lb portable tank so it doesn't use the propane bottles. I'm having a difficult time figuring out what I need to get this configuration to work with the RV propane. I've watch many youtube videos but they all connect to the propane bottle connection and not the 20 lb tank connection.
Bill, can you post a picture of your grill's propane parts and also a picture of where you wish to connect to RV propane?

Basically, the issue is this. Gas comes out of the tanks/bottles at high pressure. It has to be regulated to low pressure for use. The trailer has a pressure regulator as does the grill. You can recognize the regulator by the round diaphragm part--looks like a 3" disc in the middle of the casting.

You must use a regulator, and you cannot use two in series. We need to look at the grill connection and trailer connection to see how to meet the above requirement.

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:22 PM   #26

I don't know if this will help you but doc73 listed all the parts to covert a high pressure Coleman stove to use the low pressure gas line from the camper and getting rid of the regulator on the stove, and still allowing you to use it stock if ever necessary... provided part numbers and everything... great write-up

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ll-108795.html

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:29 PM   #27
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I don't know if this will help you but doc73 listed all the parts to covert a high pressure Coleman stove to use the low pressure gas line from the camper and getting rid of the regulator on the stove, and still allowing you to use it stock if ever necessary... provided part numbers and everything... great write-up

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ll-108795.html
Well thank you. I can say the grill is still in use today (made me some burgers at the CG).

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:49 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Bill, can you post a picture of your grill's propane parts and also a picture of where you wish to connect to RV propane?

Basically, the issue is this. Gas comes out of the tanks/bottles at high pressure. It has to be regulated to low pressure for use. The trailer has a pressure regulator as does the grill. You can recognize the regulator by the round diaphragm part--looks like a 3" disc in the middle of the casting.

You must use a regulator, and you cannot use two in series. We need to look at the grill connection and trailer connection to see how to meet the above requirement.

Larry
I'm not near the RV but here is a picture I took of the RV propane tank and connections. The grill has the standard 20lb tank Acme nut connection.

BTW, I tried removing the regulator cover on the RV and it didn't want to come off, even after I cut slits in both sides.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	171897  
Old 05-14-2018, 10:56 PM   #29

Getting closer, maybe

Quote:
I'm not near the RV but here is a picture I took of the RV propane tank and connections. The grill has the standard 20lb tank Acme nut connection.

BTW, I tried removing the regulator cover on the RV and it didn't want to come off, even after I cut slits in both sides.

Thanks!
Does your RV have a "quick-release" outlet to plug in propane appliances? Or do you propose to tap in at the point in your photograph? The first is going to be tough. The second is much easier.

Larry
Old 05-14-2018, 11:18 PM   #30

Quote:
Does your RV have a "quick-release" outlet to plug in propane appliances? Or do you propose to tap in at the point in your photograph? The first is going to be tough. The second is much easier.

Larry
I don't think there is a quick release plug. Where would it be located?
Old 05-15-2018, 05:38 PM   #31

Quote:

Larry
Why would tapping be easier? I would think a quick release outlet would be easier. Can you explain?

Thanks
Old 05-15-2018, 06:40 PM   #32

You're right, my editing error

Quote:

Larry
Quote:
Why would tapping be easier? I would think a quick release outlet would be easier. Can you explain?
Yes, you are right. In editing I reversed the two.

Here is a picture of the two parts to a propane quick-disconnect system. Some units have the big part built-in. They are downstream of the regulator. Your grill probably has a second regulator connected directly to the propane bottle on one end and to a hose on the other. If you had a quick-disconnect system on the RV, you would simply remove the regulator-hose assembly and replace it with a hose with a fitting like the small fitting in the picture, then plug and unplug the grill as desired.

First order of business is to see if you have the quick-disconnect. Two more pictures of quick-disconnects (as mounted on RVs) are also attached.

Larry
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2018, 06:59 PM   #33

Quote:
Yes, you are right. In editing I reversed the two.

Here is a picture of the two parts to a propane quick-disconnect system. Some units have the big part built-in. They are downstream of the regulator. Your grill probably has a second regulator connected directly to the propane bottle on one end and to a hose on the other. If you had a quick-disconnect system on the RV, you would simply remove the regulator-hose assembly and replace it with a hose with a fitting like the small fitting in the picture, then plug and unplug the grill as desired.

First order of business is to see if you have the quick-disconnect. Two more pictures of quick-disconnects (as mounted on RVs) are also attached.

Larry
I didn't see any propane connections outside of the ones in the picture. I think I need the Tee but not sure which Tee to get. Everything is online and not at a brick and mortar store.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	172005   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	172006  
Old 05-15-2018, 07:14 PM   #34

Nothing?

Quote:
I didn't see any propane connections outside of the ones in the picture. I think I need the Tee but not sure which Tee to get. Everything is online and not at a brick and mortar store.
The spot you've pictured gives you no room to insert a tee. This is not something to be taken lightly. A propane leak could be dangerous.

Is there:
  • Nothing along the sides?
  • Nothing tucked under the sides or under the rear bumper?
  • No visible gas piping under the RV, going up to the range, the water heater, or the furnace? (Sometimes the main line will be black iron pipe with copper tubing tapped from it.)
You may have to get on your back with a flashlight and crawl under the RV. Look near the valve you've pictured and also beneath the range, water heater, and furnace.

If there's nothing there, and there's no propane piping visible under the RV, I would not encourage you to proceed.

If you do find something, take a few more pictures.

Larry
Old 05-15-2018, 07:28 PM   #35

Quote:
The spot you've pictured gives you no room to insert a tee. This is not something to be taken lightly. A propane leak could be dangerous.

Is there:
  • Nothing along the sides?
  • Nothing tucked under the sides or under the rear bumper?
  • No visible gas piping under the RV, going up to the range, the water heater, or the furnace? (Sometimes the main line will be black iron pipe with copper tubing tapped from it.)
You may have to get on your back with a flashlight and crawl under the RV. Look near the valve you've pictured and also beneath the range, water heater, and furnace.

If there's nothing there, and there's no propane piping visible under the RV, I would not encourage you to proceed.

If you do find something, take a few more pictures.

Larry
Thanks for the advice. I'll be home tomorrow night and I'll take a look under the tank and follow the propane lines.

BTW, the regulator is to the right in the picture and it is attached to a rubber hose and is flexible. I thought I could move the regulator over to the right and insert a Tee. They sure make it look easy on YouTube

Thanks again!
Old 05-15-2018, 07:31 PM   #36

I didn't realize it was flexible

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I'll be home tomorrow night and I'll take a look under the tank and follow the propane lines.

BTW, the regulator is to the right in the picture and it is attached to a rubber hose and is flexible. I thought I could move the regulator over to the right and insert a Tee. They sure make it look easy on YouTube

Thanks again!
I didn't realize you had room to work. It looked like everything was rigid there.

Is that the high-pressure side--between tank and regulator? Better if you can keep your changes to the low-pressure side.

Larry
Old 05-15-2018, 07:47 PM   #37

Quote:
I didn't realize you had room to work. It looked like everything was rigid there.

Is that the high-pressure side--between tank and regulator? Better if you can keep your changes to the low-pressure side.

Larry
Yes, that is the high pressure side. My thought is with the 4-connection Tee connection I could not only use my outdoor grill from the RV tank but if my RV tank goes empty on at a CG I could just get a portable propane tank/bottle and plug it in and use it until I could get the RV tank filled. What do you think?

Tags
bbq, pressure