Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2018, 09:46 AM   #1

Low Pressure BBQ/Stove Feedback

Hi,

For those of you out there that have converted you Weber BBQ or other grills and stoves to low pressure, are you happy with the results. I am currently using small refillable propane cylinders which are nice because I can move the BBQ anywhere I want but it is one more thing to pack!

I have now added a propane fire pit to my arsenal and it more makes since to use the propane on board and not have to mess around with carrying propane tanks.

I keep thinking that I have the flexabity of using the BBQ and fire pit when not camping but will I really ever do that? It may be time to bite the bullet and I am curious how this is working for others.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:52 AM   #2

Completely happy I converted the Q. Have 15 ft of hose on it. Did it about 4 yrs ago before you could get a kit to do it. Have gas BBQ at house . No need for one using disposable cyls. If I use Little Red campfire I carry a 20 lb cyl. which isn't very often. Prefer real wood, but sometimes not possible.
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:49 AM   #3
Always Learning

I used the Torjik conversion kit and couldn't be happier.

The grill runs a little hotter than it used to. As someone who grills on LOW all of the time, this has made it a little more difficult for me cooking.

But, I absolutely would make this change again. Heck, I want to look at my propane fire pit to see if it can be adaptable.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:51 AM   #4
Always Learning

I did eventually buy the "Revert-a-Q" so that I could have a regulator and small bottle connection if I'm ever tailgating with the grill and without the camper.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:15 AM   #5

Totally worth doing. I had a Coleman Roadtrip grill for years, and converted that when we got our Roo. Worked great, and was a minute job to swap the regulator back on and use bottles for tailgate season.

Last year I got a Webber Q200. Also easy to convert and switch back. I'm not sure it runs as hot as it would with the small cylinders, and I don't like the Webber griddle nearly as well as the Coleman griddle (nothing to do with the question at hand).

I would say go for it. Makes life way easier. And very quick & easy to swap back if needed (just remember to keep the regulator with you - had a couple close calls when heading off to tailgate without the camper!).

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:03 PM   #6

I would probably take just one or two propane cylinders and the adapter to refill thrm from the 30 lb. book.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:25 PM   #7

I just purchased the hose from HD for 28 bucks and carry a 20 lb tank. The tank fits right under the q stand.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:29 PM   #8

I changed my Coleman out and use a 10ft propane hose with quick disconnects. You can always keep the regulator that you removed to use with the bottles if you ever feel the need to. I am still going through my little green bottles by using them up on my hand held torch in the shop, as I don't see the need to ever change back.
card16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:29 PM   #9
Who Dares, Wins

I made my Coleman Roadtrip work off the RV hookup and it works well. Kept it so I could also use the portable cylinders as well if needed. Been using it for the last 5 years w/o complainants.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:56 PM   #10

buy an lp extension hose with quick disconnects already on it. separate the regulator / green bottle fitting from the tube that connects to the barbeque. this is 1/8" npt thread. buy a quick disconnect fitting (1/4" npt thread) and the proper 1/8" to 1/4" adapters. put the make half of the quick disconnect on the tube going into the barbeque. put the female half of the quick disconnect onto the regulator / green bottle fitting. now you can use the lp extension hose to connect to the internal trailer supply. if you want to use green bottles you can still attach them to the barbeque using the quick disconnect fitting you attached to the regulator / green bottle adapter. very easy and totally flexible. l also have a lp hose with an acme nut to connect to a portable lp tank and the other end has the same threads as the top of green bottles. I can use it also if I have a portable tank.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:11 PM   #11

not quite the same topic, but, on my Puma, I have a low pressure regulator on one of the tanks and no place that I can see to hook up a grille. Does anyone have an idea where it might be?
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:06 PM   #12
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by old40ford View Post
not quite the same topic, but, on my Puma, I have a low pressure regulator on one of the tanks and no place that I can see to hook up a grille. Does anyone have an idea where it might be?
Might not have one. The low pressure reg is there for the camper stuff. Unless it is piped for a quick connect you would not just have one. Now you. Could easily add one underneath by tapping I to the main gas line that probably runs along the under belly

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:13 PM   #13

Thanks Doc, I thought that was the case. About me tapping in the line to make one, I really don't want one that bad. The older I get the more allergic to work I become.
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:49 PM   #14

low Pressure BBQ

Both my Smoke Hollow portable grill smoker and my Outland Portable Fire Pit have been converted and have the male quick connect bibs attached. My RV had a tap on the gas line with a plug just front of the front wheel on the passenger side. I got two Camco quick connects. I took out the plug and installed the quick connect into the RV tap and the male bib part on a 10' hose. On the other end I put the other quick connect on the other end of the 10' hose. I installed a male bib on each of the units (BBQ and Fire Pit). My Fire Pit had a regulator connection for a 20# tank. I installed a quick connect to the other end. Now I can plug into the RV, a separate propane tank, and with an an adapter even the gas bottles. I also bought another 10' hose with the male and female quick connectors to give me 20' from the RV. Total versatility and the hoses store in a small plastic storage box. I would never have it any other way now. For me the hardest part to find was the 3/8 female flare to male 1/4 NPT. (Search for a Lasko adapter fitting on Amazon)The Camco part is standard and can be found online or at Camping World stores. Same for the 10' quick connect extension. Good Luck!
chuckt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:36 PM   #15
Was

Converted my Weber Q and love it. Works great. I did put the old grill regulator on a hose with a quick disconnect to plug into grill, so I can easily use an unregulated tank if the need should arise to use the grill away from the camper.
Was is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:15 AM   #16

Converted my Coleman Roadtrip to run off of trailer connection, (regulator eliminator kit) and also did the same for my Fire Dancer fire pit. Got a long hose for the fire pit so can put it out on the fire rings most campgrounds have. Love it. No extra bottles to carry. We even use our Tonka Pie cookers on the fire pit.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 02:02 PM   #17

I followed the instructions from the RV Geeks:
How To Connect a BBQ Grill to an RV's On-board Propane Tank - RVgeeks
Unfortunately, I've had the same problem with low heat on my Weber BBQ that another poster mentioned. It doesn't heat up as much or as fast as with the canisters.
It is very convenient, though.
My plan is to remove the 15 PSI regulator recommended by the RV Geeks from the tank end of the set-up, and install a filter (such as this one: https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Por...ropane+filters) on the BBQ end of the line. The 15 PSI regulator is necessary to avoid clogging the Weber regulator with oil, which accumulates because of high pressure in the long line. I'm hoping the filter will make this unnecessary, and still allow my Weber to heat up as usual.
jeffrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:50 AM   #18

Help with CharBroil

We bought a CharBroil portable grill from Lowes because of design and my wife liked the way it looks. I too need advice on how to convert this grill if possible to my quick connect line in my Columbus 340RKC. It has quick connect lines on both sides of 5th wheel but I'm lost at how to convert this particular grill. Any leads to a web site or advice from the best group of RVers anywhere would be appreciated.:usof a:
navygrandparents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:39 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by navygrandparents View Post
We bought a CharBroil portable grill from Lowes because of design and my wife liked the way it looks. I too need advice on how to convert this grill if possible to my quick connect line in my Columbus 340RKC. It has quick connect lines on both sides of 5th wheel but I'm lost at how to convert this particular grill. Any leads to a web site or advice from the best group of RVers anywhere would be appreciated.:usof a:
Remove the regulator from your grill, then replace it with whatever fittings and nipples you need to hookup your quick connect hose.

Bruce
Old 05-14-2018, 08:16 AM   #20

I can't give specific details as I don't know the exact setup of your grill. before you do anything you need to verify where the existing regulator and control valves are. most likely, if it has multiple burners the valves are on the grill and the regulator is on the hose that you connect between the propane tank and the grill. some smaller single burner grills have an integrated regulator / control valve. if your has the regulator on the hose, the hose will screw into a port on the grill. unscrew it from the grill. now you have options depending upon what you want to do. simplest would be to screw a make quick connect fitting into the port on the grill (may need an adapter fitting) and buy a premade extension hose (whatever length you want) with make and female quick connect fittings on each end. push male end into trailer, push grill with male end into female end of extension hose. you may want to put a female quick connect on the end of the original hose you removed so that you can connect it back to the grill using the quick connects if you ever want to use the grill away from the trailer. again may need an adapter fitting. if the male quick connect you are going to put on the grill sticks out too far, consider putting in a 90 elbow so the quick connect is oriented parallel to the grill side. use proper sealing compound or gas Teflon tape and double check you gas joints with soap solution. there are many videos on youtube. there are also kits you can buy, but make sure they have the proper adapters for your grill.

Tags
bbq, pressure