Old 01-10-2019, 10:14 AM   #1

LP Alarm Going Off

Lately my LP alarm goes off non-stop. The camper stays on our own property and I can go outside sometimes and the alarm is sounding. This morning, the alarm was sounding but when I checked to see if the tank was on, I see that tank which was being used had run out. Not sure when it ran out but it was probably last night. I leave the heat set on 40F and the outside temps last night were in the upper 20s.

I will continue to monitor. There is zero smell of LP gas and now that the tank is empty and turned off, I assume the alarm will be off when I return home this afternoon.

Any ideas? My hope is maybe the alarm has gone bad. I have a spare.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:21 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Do you have your rig plugged in?
The LP/CO detector will alarm on low 12v voltage.
They also have a lifespan.
Pull the LP/CO detector and look for the date code.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:29 AM   #3
Site Team

You did not mention the alarm pattern, but if it is the original alarm and the info in your profile is correct, it is probably expired and the sound is an indication it is no longer functioning properly and needs to be replaced. There two versions so be sure to get the correct one. If you have an alarm that controls a propane valve you need to replace with one that has that function. Also since you ran out of propane, the low volume propane items will need some tries to restart. Be sure to bleed the system as much as possible using the stove.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:57 PM   #4

I just bought a replacement off Amazon. I'll swap them out and go from there. Hopefully you guys are correct.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:19 PM   #5
Canadian Full Timer

I had this same problem so bought a new one and installed it but the new one kept going off as well. I took it back and got a replacement from the dealer. It still kept going off. I finally just pulled the fuse and do not use it at all.....it was just so annoying. Other people in our RV park tried to figure it out as well, with no success. That was over a year and a half ago, and I love the quiet. Not the best situation but at least I can enjoy the quiet time.
Cherokeerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:23 PM   #6

L P gas detector

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFX450RXC View Post
Lately my LP alarm goes off non-stop. The camper stays on our own property and I can go outside sometimes and the alarm is sounding. This morning, the alarm was sounding but when I checked to see if the tank was on, I see that tank which was being used had run out. Not sure when it ran out but it was probably last night. I leave the heat set on 40F and the outside temps last night were in the upper 20s.

I will continue to monitor. There is zero smell of LP gas and now that the tank is empty and turned off, I assume the alarm will be off when I return home this afternoon.

Any ideas? My hope is maybe the alarm has gone bad. I have a spare.
Gas detectors are only good for a couple of years, just went thru that with ours last season, it is time for a new one.
Ken Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:12 PM   #7

False Alarm

A low battery will set them off. I have also found that they get more sensitive as they get older. Ive had ones go off with spilled wine and a dog fart will make it go nuts.
rbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:47 PM   #8
Can you run 3800 fps?

There not actually "Propane" detectors. They are Flammable Gas Detectors, and will also pick up hydrocarbon particulates from Methane, propane, butane, and gasoline vapor. Usually they will 'Chirp' every so often for "End of Life" notice. About 5 years on older models, and as much as 10 years on newer, more expensive models. In the Alarm Industry we install them in residential and commercial buildings, but they are a much higher quality than what came with my Catalina 263RLS.
SniperDroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:22 PM   #9

It is still going off. I can hear it when I go outside. It sounds every 10 seconds or so. The Propane has been turned off for two days.

I have the new one here on my desk. But I can't get to the old one unless the slides are out. Where I keep the camper, the slides can't go out. So I'll replace it next week.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:37 PM   #10

They have a life span just like a home smoke alarm. Just replace after 5 years. Your life may depend on it. If not just throw it away and don't use one. your choice.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:34 PM   #11

Try putting a fan blowing on it. Getting the air moving. Ours does it when and after we winterize it with rv antifreeze and the only thing that’ll shut it up is the fan or unplug it. As soon as I dewinterize and flush out the system it won’t do it again until I winterize it in the late fall. Third year I’ve had the experience.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:50 PM   #12
Site Team

This may help
OPERATION AUDIBLE SIGNAL VISUAL SIGNAL
NORMAL NONE STEADY GREEN
CO ALARM 4 "BEEPS"5 SECONDS OFF STEADY RED
PROPANE ALARM CONSTANT ALARM FLASHING RED
MALFUNCTION BEEP"EVERY 30 SECONDS ALTERNATING RED/GREEN
END OF LIFE B BEEPS EVERY 25-30 SECONDS RED RED GREEN GREEN FLASHING

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:24 AM   #13

I had the same problem...alarm going off constantly when my Sunseeker was in my driveway, plugged in, and would stop when I opened the door to check it out. Propane turned off, no smell, etc. Here's what I found:

My detector is located in the entry step well, and the batteries are located under the steps. When the motorhome was plugged in, the WFCO converter was overcharging my batteries, and the gas would set off the alarm. I replaced the WFCO converter with a Progressive unit and the alarm hasn't gone off since.

Might not be your issue, but something to check....
rad_jr is offline   Reply With Quote