Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #1

Question LP Gas regulator question on triple 20lb tanks

Hello,
I recently purchased a Columbus 295RL which has 3 20lb LP tanks, I am confused about how the gas regulator works with the 3 tanks. Does anyone have advice on how to best utilize this 3 tank option with the supplied regulator. Thanks for help
Bob
rosebunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #2

I can't answer your question, but interested in the answer.

In some videos I seen of the earlier units, they actually show 4 tanks. But when I looked at a unit a couple weeks ago, there was only 3 and no rack space for a forth. Don't quite understand why they would change the rack.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
Trailer Trash

The early Columbus rigs had four 20# tanks in 2012 model year. They found out later this was illegal to have 80# on roads in Canada. Design was changed so there is only three 20# tanks and the 3rd one is not on a slide out. The 3rd tank has a regulator but no selector switch like the 1st and 2nd tank. Dealer told me the 3rd tank is simply a backup unit incase you empty the first two tanks.

I think the 3rd tank may feed a Y adapter that goes into tank 1 and tank 2 selector switch. Never used my 3rd tank and never looked at how it was plummbed.

I do know however a couple nites with the furnace going and you will have an empty 20# tank. Furnace works great but she's a gas hog! Was 43 outside and I had thermostat set at 63. 3 nites and tank was empty.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #4

As I understand, there can only be one regulator in an LP system. So any switching between these three tanks must be ahead of the regulator. So there must be 2 selector switches, so you have isolation of the tanks?

I will probably need to buy some spare tanks, as my rig is coming with the generator.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
IndyDave

Buckeye Dave

I too just purchased a Columbus with three tanks. The tech didn't really explain the LP system very well. It has two regulators, one for the single tank which looks like a basic regulator. The other is attached to the two other tanks and looks like it switches automatically. So I assume the single tank is somehow Y'ed into the LP distribution system. The tech suggested I turn off the valve on the single tank so when I run out of gas I can turn it back so I will have fuel while I take the others to be refilled. I have yet to run out of gas so I don't know if this will work. I will follow up when I find out.
djhender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #6
IndyDave

Buckeye Dave

Under further scrutiny I saw that the single tank is Y'd into the LP system. Therefore it can act as a reserve tank and that would be the best way to to use it. Turn it off until both primary tanks are empty and then turn it on while you fill the primary tanks. It would be best to replace the single reserve tank with one of the newly filled primary tanks after you have filled them so that you will always know you have a full reserve waiting.

I went to the web site for the regulator that I have (Cavagna 924N) and found that it does automatically switch from an empty tank to a full one. You can go to http://www.cavagna.co.uk/downloads/s...an-co-924N.pdf to read about it if you have the same regulator.
djhender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #7

LPG tank management

I just purchased a Salem model with a Cavagna 924N regulator and questioned whether the knob with the green dot on one side did anything functionally or is it just an indicator. The answer I received was that it is just an indicator; the regulator switches to the reserve tank automatically unless the reserve tank itself was turned off. Is this correct?
hawk0760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:54 AM   #8

How to Refill 3rd Tank?

Recently got a new Columbus 320RS with 3-tank propane system. In the past, with a 2-tank crossover regulator, I could disconnect the empty tank to refill without closing the valve on the active tank, thus keeping gas flow during the process (so long as the crossover switch was NOT "aimed at" the empty tank). I assume that I can still do this between the 2 tanks with auto switching, but what will prevent gas from flowing from the 3rd tank when I disconnect one of the 2 that are together? Further, if I want to remove the lone 3rd tank for refill, will I have to close off both of the tanks on the other side to prevent backflow when I disconnect the 3rd hose? (Or is there a check valve in the 3rd tank regulator that takes care of this?) I could just try and see what happens, but someone else must have dealt with this before me.... Thanks in advance.
JerW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:21 PM   #9

I spent a week in Door County, WI a couple weeks ago. It was cold at night. I learned about how it works on my Columbus 340RK. They thing showed the red/pink on the little window. I read on some instructions that came with the FW that when it moves to the red/pink it means that it signals that the first tank is gone and the system is working with the second one. When it happened to me, I said to myself I need to fill the tank tomorrow. Well, the next morning neither the furnace nor the stove worked. I went out and wonder. I checked the third tank and discovered that it was closed. I opened it and everything began to work. However, I still needed to fill the first two tanks. Glad to have a third tank. My 2 cents.
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:29 PM   #10

John
I noticed the same thing on my 340RK.. Where in Door County did you stay and where is home-base?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
5 stars
MacDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:55 PM   #11

We stayed Bailey's Harbor campground. We enjoyed except there was no TV reception. My home base is Racine. Leaving soon for the winter.
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:10 AM   #12

We Home base in Kenosha, Nice knowing there is another 340RK in the neighborhood...Safe Travel's.
5 stars
MacDR is offline   Reply With Quote