Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2017, 12:05 PM   #1

Makes No Sense

2016 Sunseeker 3050S. Suburban furnace (have manual), Atwood water heater (have manual). Digital thermostat, set to Auto. NOT an electrician! At CG tow days ago, set up, full hookups. Ran city water throughout to finish flush sequence, HW heater full. Fired HW on gas, light right up. Fired stove, fired right up. Not cold enough to fire AC/heat pump or furnace..all is good. Yesterday, temps drop into 40's. Fire up heat pump, runs for a while, kits set point shuts down. Stares back up a while later, rig cooled down, unit starts cycling, fan off, compressor running, fan comes back on..just didn't seem right, shut it down, fire up furnace. Won't light. Fan starts runs 45/60 SEC, shuts down...3 try's, done. Will not run again until about 0230 when I tried to restart it, won't start past fan cycle. Tried heat pump, won't run. Heard HW heater cycle, faded out, then back full steam, faded, full blast, then shut down. Will not start.
Bled gas at stove, turned propane tank off, shut shore power off, disconnected house batteries. Let set. Opened propane valve as slow as I could, until full on, checked stove, lite right up. Reconnected batteries, switch ON, shore power On.
HW heater sparkler tries, shuts down after 2nd attempt. Furnace fan will not start. A/C Heat pump starts but will not cycle to fan start....
I know the propane & A/C are two different systems..would like ideas on HW heAter & furnace first...THANKs in advance!
Old 04-22-2017, 01:47 PM   #2

If the outside temperature is low enough, the heat pump will do a defrost cycle periodically. During a defrost cycle the compressor runs but the fan does not. When the cycle is complete the compressor will continue to run and the fan will begin running, blowing out heat. Our 2011 year model 3100 has a Dometic thermostat. The thermostat manual says it runs the defrost cycle below 42 degrees F outside temperature. Your thermostat may have different temperature settings for the defrost cycle.

Also, on ours, when the outside temperature is 30 F or below the propane furnace runs even if heat pump is selected. When it warms above 30 F outside, the heat pump will resume operation.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
If the outside temperature is low enough, the heat pump will do a defrost cycle periodically. During a defrost cycle the compressor runs but the fan does not. When the cycle is complete the compressor will continue to run and the fan will begin running, blowing out heat. Our 2011 year model 3100 has a Dometic thermostat. The thermostat manual says it runs the defrost cycle below 42 degrees F outside temperature. Your thermostat may have different temperature settings for the defrost cycle.

Also, on ours, when the outside temperature is 30 F or below the propane furnace runs even if heat pump is selected. When it warms above 30 F outside, the heat pump will resume operation.
Thanks for the feedback RamblerGuy I recall reading something about that defrost cycle but missed the rollover to the furnace! Good to know.

I actually found the underlying issue. I disconnect the battery cables & Velcro tie like cables together in the house battery box so next season I remember which cable goes on which terminal....the location where I store it over winter did me a great favor and hooked up the chassis & house batteries ((thought all of them) and had it outside ready for me to drive away....I even did a visual, checked tightness and was happy to have her ready to go. While buddies at CG were trying to help today figure out the issue, one noticed a hot cable down the back of the battery box, out of sight...seems that one was the hot coming from the inverter/converter do the house batteries were virtually dead. Got it hooked back to where it is supposed to go, shore power on, 13.4 volts, charging. From shore, chassis & ge set, now.... Everything works again...

Really feel stupid missing that, but, I guess you learn...so embarrassed!
Old 04-22-2017, 07:52 PM   #4

Yep, I understand. I've missed simple stuff plenty of times, too.

RV's have lots of parts and systems that we don't deal with often so it sometimes takes a while to find a problem.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote