Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2020, 05:46 PM   #1

My griddle has a regulator on it... Why?

My 2020 Flagstaff Super lite came with the new Suburban Elite Griddle that Forest River is shipping now instead of the old black grill. It mounts on the side of the trailer and connects to the low pressure propane line that run under the trailer.

If you've seen the Suburban griddle it looks exactly like the Blackstone 17". Exactly. Well, there is one difference. On the Blackstone 17" the propane line comes out the right side of the base, near the front. On the Suburban model the propane line come out the back, and there is a small regulator attached to it.

My trailer has two 30 pound tanks with a typical two tank switch and a 2 stage regulator. This link is my model regulator. I believe it puts out 11"wc like most 2 stage regulators:
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Two-S...-p/66-8631.htm

On the back of the griddle is this regulator:
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Subur...-p/41-1021.htm

So what is the point of this second regulator? Obviously I'm no expert, but all the threads I read on attaching your Blackstone 17" griddle or propane fire pit or Weber grill or whatever to the low pressure port on RV's started with "remove the regulator from the grill/pit/griddle/......".

I've used the griddle once to season it, and once on our first camping trip with the trailer (which had wind problems). So I know the griddle lights and burns. I can't tell how hot it is, if the flame is as big/small as it should be, etc.

I'm guessing that FR & Suburban know what they are doing and wouldn't include the griddle with unnecessary parts. Does this regulator serve any real function? Is it a backup just in case the pressure shoots up on the feed?

I'm just thinking had I keep my old trailer with the grill and bought one of these off Ebay or Craigslist I'd probably have removed the regulator because your suppose to.

Thanks
Jim M.
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:42 AM   #2

It may be that the griddle is designed to operate on a smaller water column then say your water heater so they have the regulator to prevent over firing or blow out which can happen with the supply gas has too high of a pressure even tho it is low pressure when compared to to the propane tank.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 05:22 PM   #3
2020 FR Wildwood 263BHXL

I was wondering the same thing JIMMARKO. I have a 2020 as well with the Suburban flat top. It has a regulator. I just bought a Weber Q grill and just made the conversion by removing the regulator.
I felt that when I used my new flat top griddle, it seemed it didn’t get very hot. It was windy though??
JMMP9MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:05 PM   #4

Yes, any threads, or videos I've seen on converting a grill/griddle (Blackstone, Weber, Fire pits,.....) have always removed any regulators on the device and connected straight to he low pressure port on the trailer. The Suburban is designed for RV use and low pressure ports. I still can't believe that they would put it there "by mistake".

I posted a thread on the general trailer & 5th page early about lower the griddle top closer to the burner to keep wind from blowing around. The general response to this was to use something like sheet metal, a cookie sheet, ..... to block the wind from blowing through.

I've got a trip planned for Memorial day. I going to see how it goes trying to block the wind and then determine what to do about the regulator.

Jim M.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:27 AM   #5
Old Enough to Know Better

Is there any info on the tag of the appliance? Usally there will be Max Btu and Inlet pressure on it.
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:19 PM   #6

Hello all, I also have a new 2020 mini lite that came with the suburban flat griddle. On our first trip-4th of July, cooking hamburgers took almost an hour. The flame is very small and does not adjust no matter the knob position.
Has anyone removed this regulator? MY2 30 lbs tanks are full.
I'm going to try it this weekend, or will have to toss this thing and get a different type.
Tcmustang93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:30 PM   #7

You running off your quick disconnect
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:39 PM   #8

You should only have one regulator. Are you running off the trailers lines (all ready regulated) or off a separate bottle?

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:19 AM   #9
2020 FR Wildwood 263BHXL

I think I’m going to look into removing the regulator from the suburban and see what it does. Or even try and maybe hook it up to a tank of its own to see if there is a difference.
I can’t imagine why there would be two regulars inline.
JMMP9MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcmustang93 View Post
Hello all, I also have a new 2020 mini lite that came with the suburban flat griddle. On our first trip-4th of July, cooking hamburgers took almost an hour. The flame is very small and does not adjust no matter the knob position.
I'm going to try it this weekend, or will have to toss this thing and get a different type.
Try running it off of its own gas bottle. Two regulators will normally restrict the flow too much. Buying another griddle with a regulator will not change anything.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 07-17-2020, 06:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMP9MM View Post
I think I’m going to look into removing the regulator from the suburban and see what it does. Or even try and maybe hook it up to a tank of its own to see if there is a difference.
I would try it on its own tank. I bet it will work fine then.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 07-17-2020, 09:36 AM   #12
Site Team

Those regulators are safety regulators. They're there in case of an overpressure in the line feeding the stove (or in your case, griddle). If you'll look under your range top you'll see that they have one too.

Could you remove it and it still work, sure. Do you need to, probably not.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMP9MM View Post
If you do let us know if anything changes. I'm the OP but I don't have the time to make this change. I took a quick look, I forget if you would need any extra parts, or if removing the regulator the rest will screw back together.

Jim M.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:47 AM   #14

Quote:
So I started this thread. So far my griddle seems to work. There does seem to be fairly little adjustment range between High and Low. For me the griddle seems to get hot enough. I have nothing to compare it too. I don't have a temp sensor so can't say how hot it gets too.

The only time I had slow cooking was when we wanted to make shish kabobs. Reading up on it it seems they don't cook well on the flat tops because the meat/veggie chunks are uneven and don't touch a lot of the surface. So I just dumped all the meat & marinade onto the griddle (more like a stir fry). It was cover completely with meat cubes about 2" deep. That took a while to get cooked through. Would a hotter Blackstone have cooked noticeably faster?

Jim M.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarako View Post
So I started this thread. So far my griddle seems to work. There does seem to be fairly little adjustment range between High and Low. For me the griddle seems to get hot enough. I have nothing to compare it too. I don't have a temp sensor so can't say how hot it gets too.

The only time I had slow cooking was when we wanted to make shish kabobs. Reading up on it it seems they don't cook well on the flat tops because the meat/veggie chunks are uneven and don't touch a lot of the surface. So I just dumped all the meat & marinade onto the griddle (more like a stir fry). It was cover completely with meat cubes about 2" deep. That took a while to get cooked through. Would a hotter Blackstone have cooked noticeably faster?

Jim M.
Might have just burned things quicker.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarako View Post

Jim M.
Yes, cooking is faster and cleanup very quick and easy too. We have a folding Rhino. Really sizzles when meat or veggies are put on.

We have using ours at home daily for a meat and vegetables. Less that 1/2 hour to cook and maybe 10 minutes or less to clean up.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 10-10-2020, 05:08 PM   #17

Has anyone here taken the suburban griddle off the camper for an event? How do you connect a 1 lb tank to that regulator??
dmousley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 11:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Your griddle is being "double regulated". So your BTUS's go from 10,000 to 5,000. That is why there is very little flame. Your RV already has low pressure regulator on it per RVIA standards going to all other appliances, furnace, refrigerator stove.. etc.
Blackstone was installed with Jayco units in 2020 and came with 12,000 BTU griddles with a added heat shield and NO regulator added. Works great !
duigetr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 11:37 AM   #19
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by duigetr View Post
Your griddle is being "double regulated". So your BTUS's go from 10,000 to 5,000. That is why there is very little flame. Your RV already has low pressure regulator on it per RVIA standards going to all other appliances, furnace, refrigerator stove.. etc.
Blackstone was installed with Jayco units in 2020 and came with 12,000 BTU griddles with a added heat shield and NO regulator added. Works great !
Welcome to the forum duigetr, I see it is your 1st post.

Just pointing out you replied to a thread that was last commented on in 2020.

This is a great community, welcome aboard.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 11:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Welcome to the forum duigetr, I see it is your 1st post.

Just pointing out you replied to a thread that was last commented on in 2020.

This is a great community, welcome aboard.
Yes... I understand. Just wanted to get the word out. There are 100's out there with the same issue and they do not know why. Today, there are RV companies using the same griddle as you have and the regulator still attached and the same issue. RVIA has standards on outdoor appliances and this is how they getting around it. Blackstone went through testing and was approved by them with a 12,000 BTU griddle because adding a heat shield that deflected the heat. Thank you ! just trying to help....
duigetr is offline   Reply With Quote