Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2020, 12:42 PM   #1
Newbie Trailer Camper!

Need a new propane tank changeover regulator

So the current regulator on our 2014 FR Evo seems to not want to change tanks. Acts like the tank is empty when I switch over to one side, but I know for a fact it is full. It also smells a little like propane under the cover when I lift it up. The tanks are only 5 years old...so I think it's a problem with the changeover regulator. It's a manual changeover style that came with the camper. Is it best to go with an auto changeover regulator? Our current one looks like this: https://www.amazon.com/Cavagna-Kosan...%2C245&sr=8-16

Looks like Flame King has the best rated one: https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-KT.../dp/B00IZCNOS0

Do they actually work and auto changeover properly each time? Is there a better one to get?
onecrazyfoo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:04 PM   #2

From my experience the standard is "Cavagna Kosan 924N RV Auto Changeover Regulator w/RV 'L' Bracket". That is what I have on my Cedar Creek and it is auto changeover.
Old 07-22-2020, 01:14 PM   #3

We're only in our 3rd year of camping, but our Auto Changeover works just fine. It is different than the one you listed, but it works fine. We go through about 3-4 tanks of propane every season, so that's 2 to 3 changeovers... so I guess it has changed over about 6-7 times now.

Seems to work fine. Only thing to remember is to switch the selector to the active tank... don't leave it in the middle as shown in the amazon pics. You have to lift the cover and check your tanks every so often... if the indicator is showing red, you know that it has changed over, and you need to flip the selector to the other tank, which will reset the indicator. Easy peezy.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Champion 3500
Weber Q2000, Blackstone 22", and a whole herd of flamingoes
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:16 PM   #4

No need for a "manual" changeover valve nor have I ever seen one. Just a Tee connection and the valves on both tanks does this. If there's a gizmo there it's an automatic change valve. Under $50 on Amazon.

-- Chuck
Old 07-22-2020, 01:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecrazyfoo4u View Post
So the current regulator on our 2014 FR Evo seems to not want to change tanks. Acts like the tank is empty when I switch over to one side, but I know for a fact it is full. It also smells a little like propane under the cover when I lift it up. The tanks are only 5 years old...so I think it's a problem with the changeover regulator. It's a manual changeover style that came with the camper. Is it best to go with an auto changeover regulator? Our current one looks like this: https://www.amazon.com/Cavagna-Kosan...%2C245&sr=8-16

Looks like Flame King has the best rated one: https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-KT.../dp/B00IZCNOS0

Do they actually work and auto changeover properly each time? Is there a better one to get?
I'm guessing that you have the links reversed. I changed to an automatic change on my TT similar to your first link from something similar to your second link that was original on it. Never had a problem with it. Have one on my 5th that came with it, same thing no problems and really like them. For the automatic function to work you'll need to open the valves on both tanks.

Good luck and be safe.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:20 PM   #6

Quote:
It also smells a little like propane under the cover when I lift it up.
That's a bit troubling. You should not be
smelling propane. Get some soapy water and check for leaks first. If it bubbles, you have a leak.
If you do end up changing out the regulator, check for leaks after installing.
You probably already know this, but when you turn on those propane tanks, turn the handle Very Slowly. We lost at least one regulator by getting impatient and turning the handle too quickly.
Old 07-22-2020, 01:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
From my experience the standard is "Cavagna Kosan 924N RV Auto Changeover Regulator w/RV 'L' Bracket". That is what I have on my Cedar Creek and it is auto changeover.

I think FR just buys a bunch of whatever they can get cheapest at the time...

Our Avenger has this regulator:

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Champion 3500
Weber Q2000, Blackstone 22", and a whole herd of flamingoes
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
I think FR just buys a bunch of whatever they can get cheapest at the time...

Our Avenger has this regulator:

We have the same.
latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:12 PM   #9
Newbie Trailer Camper!

Well I didn't think ours was auto changeover...but then again I guess I never have both tanks open at the same time. I'm going to check for leaks first and then see if it does auto changeover. I've always just rotated the little knob and opened the other tank when it ran out and turned red.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:16 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Well I didn't think ours was auto changeover...but then again I guess I never have both tanks open at the same time. I'm going to check for leaks first and then see if it does auto changeover. I've always just rotated the little knob and opened the other tank when it ran out and turned red.

This thread we keep in the FAQ may help:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...or-146655.html

If fridge is the shortened form of refrigerator, where did that "d" come from?
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:45 PM   #11

I would try swapping the pigtails before replacing the regulator just for a cheaper fix. If the other tank works when you do this get a new pigtail. $6 instead of $60. If it doesn't work then get the regulator.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:56 AM   #12

Quote:
First and foremost determine where or why you are getting the gas smell from. It could be because of a lot of different things as others have mentioned. You will just have to go through one by one till you feel you have it solved. Bad or misaligned hose connections, overfilled tanks (they will let off pressure), bad regulator (unlikely, but possible), etc. One step at a time.

Once you have the smell situation solved, open the valves on both tanks. When the tank that the arrow is pointing to becomes empty, the regulator will automatically switch to the second tank showing Red on the regulator indicating that the first tank is empty. Once that happens you would then switch the arrow to point to the second tank, thus it will (should) change to green, then you can close the valve on the first tank removing it to have it refilled. After you have it refilled then you would replace the tank back and open it's valve. When the indicator turns Red again indicating the second tank is empty you just repeat the scenario you did with the first tank. This way you have continuous propane being supplied to your unit.

Hope this helps and be safe.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:54 PM   #13

Only 8-10 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
That's a bit troubling. You should not be
smelling propane. Get some soapy water and check for leaks first. If it bubbles, you have a leak.
If you do end up changing out the regulator, check for leaks after installing.
You probably already know this, but when you turn on those propane tanks, turn the handle Very Slowly. We lost at least one regulator by getting impatient and turning the handle too quickly.
They only last 8-10 years. Yours is just a little premature. One common failure mode is a pinhole in the diaphragm. When this happens, you WILL have a faint smell of propane (mercaptan) at the regulator. As far as I'm concerned, they are all about the same. Selection criteria include horizontal- or vertical-mount and one- or two-tanks.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:42 PM   #14

We had a propane smell the last time we used our Flagstaff 27RLWS, and it took me a while to find it. I finally soaped all the lines in and outside, and just happened to be under the kitchen slide checking and moved on of the two hoses going up into the floor. Lo and behold, the refrigerator propane line leaked when it moved it, but wouldn't leak unless it was moved. The hoses come from the metal gas line on the right side and cross under and into the slide they are 15' long and I had the local propane company make me new ones. The only problem is having to remove the oven to get to the hoses inside. I couldn't even get the company that made them call me when I left a number. "Sad"
beechjet16mf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:14 PM   #15
Newbie Trailer Camper!

Well I finally got around to soap spraying everywhere and didn't find a single leak. It's a very faint smell when you open the tank cover, but I get that same smell when turning the valve open on my bbq tank. I sprayed the hoses and moved them while spraying and got nada. At the front of my trailer the hose turns into a pipe all throughout under the camper, so no leaks there either.

I guess I'll just roll with it and see if the auto changeover works with both tank valves on. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Well I finally got around to soap spraying everywhere and didn't find a single leak. It's a very faint smell when you open the tank cover, but I get that same smell when turning the valve open on my bbq tank. I sprayed the hoses and moved them while spraying and got nada. At the front of my trailer the hose turns into a pipe all throughout under the camper, so no leaks there either.

I guess I'll just roll with it and see if the auto changeover works with both tank valves on. Thanks everyone.
What you're describing sounds like a bad propane changeover to me.
Try turning off both propane tanks. Give it some time, then raise the propane cover and see if you smell the propane. If you do, it's probably a tank.
If you don't smell propane, then try turning on both tanks and after a bit of time, open the cover and see if you smell the propane. Since you've check the lines by using soapy water, it's probably the regulator and it needs to be replaced. Otherwise, you won't have any propane left in your tank when you need it.
Opening the propane tank slowly helps protect the regulator. And you might try the soapy water thing one more time. It didn't work for us the first time we tried it, but the second time we'd closed then opened the tank and found the leak.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:34 PM   #17
Newbie Trailer Camper!

Copy that, I'll give it a shot and see!

Tags
propane, tank