Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2021, 05:12 PM   #1

New Propane Pigtail

My pigtail started leaking around the acme nut so I ordered a new pigtail from etrailer. The pigtail I had is a 1/4 inch NPT. The one I purchased is a 1/4 inch inverted flare. I have the adaptor to go from NPT to inverted flare, so all fits just fine. Looking at the new hose, (and this is the question), the size of the opening at the end of the inverted flare is smaller that the opening of a 1/4" NPT. Does anyone know if this will restrict the flow of propane to any meaning degree? I ran all burners of the stove an water heater at the same time, but, and I am sure my mind will play tricks when I already have a thought, but it sure seems I was not getting as much flame on the stove.

From everything I was seeing, and I could have interpreted incorrectly, the "new" way of the world is the inverted flare. I know the pressure will not change, but I am more concerned with the volume.

Anyone know for sure?
Asrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 06:30 PM   #2
Site Team

On our 5er one pigtail is inverted flare and the other pigtail is ¼" npt. The ¼" npt side goes to the crossover regulator and then to the switchover regulator which has both sides ¼" inverted flare.

The difference in the ID's shouldn't make enough difference at the flows required, especially since they're on the high pressure side of the regulator.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:14 AM   #3

I agree with BR and will add when the auto change over regulator shifts from the selected tank (now empty) to the new full tank the available BTUs are reduced with that said I have never notice a difference in appliance operations. (I can be very good at convincing myself there may be a problem when things are normal lol)
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 08:56 AM   #4

Thank you. I feel a little better now. Yesterday it was a warm afternoon, and although I got the furnace to come on, it did not operate as I would expect. This morning it was cooler and I went out early and it worked as normal. So, I guess I am okay. I was thinking the hole in the acme nut is so small that I just could not believe that the size of the hole in the flare nut would make in difference, but since that was the only change I made, my mind wanted to believe it was an issue.

It is interesting that the consensus is that an inverted flare is less likely to leak that a NP tapered fitting, but you need an adaptor since the regulator is NPT. So, I don't really see the benefit unless the new regulators/change overs are female inverted flare.
Asrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane