Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #1

Newbie needs your suggestion...

I have an Olympian Wave 3 Heater I am trying to make work in my hardside pop-up trailer.

I am wanting to use the RV-Que Grill propane hose on the outside of the trailer which has a quick-connect connection like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0886.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	19709

I want an eight or so foot long hose that will connect to this so I can run it through the small window (approx. 6" x 9") inside the camper to my heater which has a connection like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0889.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	19710

The reason I am wanting to do it like this is that this will make it impossible for me to use the heater without the window opened thus preventing an accidental carbon monoxide poisoning or hypoxia. Plus it should be easier than running T-adapters, flairing copper pipe etc.

I have looked on the Internet but can't seem to find a hose with this combination. I've really looked so maybe they don't make something like this. Can anybody tell me if a hose like this is available? I am new at all of this so please be gentle.

Thanks...
Maranatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:12 PM   #2

Check with a propane dealer or welding shop. I had a propane dealer make me a similar hose for a construction trailer I used to have.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:18 PM   #3

I'll give that a try. I don't know why this is such a hard hose to find.

I can see it now...

$400 hose for a $200 heater.

Maybe a couple of blankets for $25 will work.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:16 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

One thing you need to know.

Is your heater low pressure or high pressure ,

Rvq grill is low pressure your heater may breaker high pressure.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:33 AM   #5

Search Amazon for Mr. Heater. There's a variety of hoses for what you are going.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #6

F110Turbo...

It is a low pressure heater...
Old 09-20-2012, 10:57 PM   #7
Drinkin beer on the beach

I just did the same thing for a BBQ grill.

You'll need male end of the coupler, seems to me it fits into the coupler and had a 1/4 pipe thread.

I'd hazard a guess that the heater takes a 3/8 AN fitting. Camping World, Home Depot, and Ace Tru-Value all carry Mr Heater stuff.

I picked up a hose with an AN fitting, the other end was 3/8 NPT, I think it was $20, I found a reducing coupler at Ace for a couple of dollars. The reducing coupler went between the NPT end of the hose and the QD coupler plug.

Its just easier to take the parts into the store and piece it together.
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #8

I would be inclined to look into a furnace if you don't already have one. The big advantage is they are safe. Not completely fool proof, but safe. The idea of operating a propane appliance with a line run through the window raises a red flag with me. When our LP gas furnace in the house needed some work awhile back, my wife said she didn't want to wake up dead. We had it replaced. Just a thought. Good luck.
Snowman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:48 AM   #9

I got the hose today from a propane supplier for $55 out the door.

Thanks for the advice snowman. I have a propane furnace and a heat pump on board but the heat pump requires a generator or A/C to run and the other is loud and an inefficient pig. Probably the proper way to do it is to tee into the stove somehow or drill through the floor tapping into the already existing line which is well beyond my ability. This way doesn't require modifying the existing propane system/lines and gives me an idiot proof way to make sure I have a window open when running my small and very efficient heater (1/8 pound of propane per hour). I will also have my roof vent open and another window cracked just for added insurance. I also have a propane detector, two carbon monoxide detectors, one wired and one battery powered. I tried to buy another carbon monoxide detector tonight but they didn't have the model I wanted in stock. Am I being overly paranoid? Probably so.

Maybe I am missing something though and if I am, everybody please feel free to chime in as I am new to all of this.