Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2024, 11:48 AM   #1

No gas to stove.

I am not getting any gas to my stove. The water heater is working fine. Any ideas what is wrong?

Thanks.
JRRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 05:42 PM   #2

Did you give it plenty of time for the air to purge out of the line to the stove?
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 07:20 PM   #3

Assuming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRRN View Post
I am not getting any gas to my stove. The water heater is working fine. Any ideas what is wrong?

Thanks.
Assuming all the other appliances are getting gas (and water heater isn't running on both gas and electric, then here's what it is:

The gas range has a secondary regulator. On most ranges, if you lift the front edge of the range top, you will see it at the front right. They don't seem to fail often, but a few reports have appeared on this site.

If you've got a couple of wrenches, they are pretty easy to change (turn off propane at tanks first). And they are easy to find on the internet--probably at Amazon and eBay which are cheaper than the RV supply sites.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 07:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Assuming all the other appliances are getting gas (and water heater isn't running on both gas and electric, then here's what it is:

The gas range has a secondary regulator. On most ranges, if you lift the front edge of the range top, you will see it at the front right. They don't seem to fail often, but a few reports have appeared on this site.

If you've got a couple of wrenches, they are pretty easy to change (turn off propane at tanks first). And they are easy to find on the internet--probably at Amazon and eBay which are cheaper than the RV supply sites.
That is is definitely one possible cause. But if your RV is several years old, there is another one.

In fact, I was positive that the stove regulator was my problem when my stove stopped working while every other propane appliance was fine.

When I disconnected the feed line to the stove regulator I heard a strange gurgle. Turns out the stove propane line had a p-trap type bend in it that then went to main propane line at the lowest point.

I went under the RV and disconnected the stove line at the low point and about a cup of stinky liquid came out. It is the oil tthat is added to give propane its smell.

I blew out all the propane lines and everything was fine after that.

So I would check that before I bought a new regulator.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 08:09 PM   #5

Good point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
That is is definitely one possible cause. But if your RV is several years old, there is another one.

In fact, I was positive that the stove regulator was my problem when my stove stopped working while every other propane appliance was fine.

When I disconnected the feed line to the stove regulator I heard a strange gurgle. Turns out the stove propane line had a p-trap type bend in it that then went to main propane line at the lowest point.

I went under the RV and disconnected the stove line at the low point and about a cup of stinky liquid came out. It is the oil that is added to give propane its smell.

I blew out all the propane lines and everything was fine after that.

So I would check that before I bought a new regulator.
Good point! Lines on our trailer are copper. They don't sag.

The stinky liquid is mercaptan, also called Methanethiol. It is an organosulfur compound with the chemical formula CH ₃SH. It is a colorless gas with a distinctive putrid smell. It is a natural substance found in the blood, brain and feces of animals, as well as in plant tissues. It also occurs naturally in certain foods, such as some nuts and cheese. Wikipedia

Also used to prevent/combat fungus on roses. My sister treated a bed near the street and all the neighbors called the gas company to check for a leak. The stuff is so potent that a drop can treat thousands of cubic feet of gas.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 08:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Good point! Lines on our trailer are copper. They don't sag.
The line from my stove to the low point main propane line was copper. It was bent in the shape of a p-trap along the way for whatever reason. The propane systems low point was a black pipe that all the copper lines from appliances hooked into. So, no sagging, but plenty of places to collect that oil.

So, I disconnected all the copper lines, took the cap off the end of the main black pipe supply line (low point) and blew them all out with my compressor. Probably got 2 cups total out of the system that was around 9 years old at that time.

It was definitely a learning experience
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas