Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2020, 07:33 PM   #1

No gas to water heater & grill quick connect.

We were camping a couple weeks ago with our 2018 Coachmen Chaparral 370FL 5th wheel and couldn't get the water heater to light.
Not a huge concern since it is a gas/electric, so we still had hot water.
But I was so excited to try my new quick connect for my grill only to discover that the gas is not flowing to it which tee's off to the water heater!
Now the stove and the fridge both operated fine on propane and I had freshly filled tanks.
Could the line be clogged going back to the water heater? There is a block with multiple ports (for stove, fridge, water heater).
Is the best remedy to disconnect the line going back to the water heater and blow it out?

2018 Coachmen Chaparral 370FL
2003 F350 CC Lariat SB SRW
2015 F350 CC King Ranch Dually
HotRodTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:02 PM   #2

Did you turn it on on the camper side valve?
Boscorelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:36 PM   #3

Yes I did. The water heater is directly above the quick connect and it wont light and the stove and fridge work fine. That's why I am thinking the line is clogged.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:50 AM   #4

just a guess. take the hoses off the tanks and then reassemble them carefully. there are safety valves in the pigtails that attach to the tanks. i'm wondering if they were not fully open. both the grill and water heater are larger consumers of propane it is possible they just weren't getting enough. you didn't mention the furnace. was it working? it would be the largest consumer of propane.

did the water heater work on propane before? the only reason i bring up this thought is that you say the tanks were freshly filled.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
just a guess. take the hoses off the tanks and then reassemble them carefully. there are safety valves in the pigtails that attach to the tanks. i'm wondering if they were not fully open. both the grill and water heater are larger consumers of propane it is possible they just weren't getting enough. you didn't mention the furnace. was it working? it would be the largest consumer of propane.

did the water heater work on propane before? the only reason i bring up this thought is that you say the tanks were freshly filled.
You should try this.

There can be enough gas flow to keep your refrigerator working and your stove burners will light, but they won’t burn as hot as they should.

Bruce
Old 08-09-2020, 12:42 PM   #6

On my trailer...

On my trailer, every gas appliance is fed by a separate home. Under the belly of my trailer is a section of T connectors and a hose going to one appliance so it would not be likely that two appliances would die because of one plug.

The water heater not lighting could be a bad controller - lots of advice here on controllers. The BBQ likely is caused by the gas hose not being inserted far enough into the connector. The outside shell of the trailer side needs to fully close on the nipple. Pull on the hose and see if it comes out - if wo, it needs to be inserted farther, let the connector snap AND turn on the gas on the trailer side by rotating the handle in line with the hose.
TV: 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
Honda EU2200i Generator, 300 Watts Solar
Ham Callsign KD7UM
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:32 PM   #7

Open valves slowly

This exact same thing happened to us several times when we first got our TT. Sometimes if you turn on the gas too fast it can stick the regulator. Turn gas back off, bleed the lines, shut them, then turn gas back on slowly. Then when you turn on the individual valves, also turn them on slowly. This has worked consistently for us. Hopefully this works for you as well. Best of luck!
ChaosCoachB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post

Yes the water heater worked fine on propane before. I did not try the furnace since it was already in the mid 90's outside and the A/C was having a hard time keeping up.
I cant help but think it is in the line (which is a good 10ft from the stove) coming from the the main tee. I will try to check it out this weekend.

Tags
gas, gas line, grill, heater, propane, quick connect, water, water heater