Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2022, 09:11 AM   #1

No propane getting in RV

Good Morning,
I have a 2022 Riverstone 39rkfb..

I cant seem to get the propane into the coach. Both of my propane tanks are completely full, they were half full, so I had them topped off in case that was causing the problem. When I turn the gas bottles on, the indicator on the regulator stays red. I tried opening bottles slowly etc.. no change.. I checked my propane detetcor inside, it is operational with green light. the hot water heater also is on with green light, I tried lighting the stove and held the knob in for 5-6 minutes... no propane smell and never lit.

I thought perhaps the propane regulator was bad? I purchased a new one and installed with the same results. I removed the hose from the bottom of the regulator and can feel, smell and hear propane coming out, indicator was still red. As soon as I covered the outlet with my finger, it turns green. I assume it needs to feel back pressure? I looked under Rv, I do not see any valves anywhere? Really stuck here...No ideas ? Can you help with this? The RV is parked for basically the next year while we are building a lake home and it is our home base. I really do not want to bring it in for service if I can somehow avoid that as I do not own a truck capable of pulling it and would need to pay someone to move it.
Jimdrago1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 09:27 AM   #2

Has it ever worked? It sounds like you've got a plugged up propane line.

You have a couple of alternatives.
Call the dealer and see if they have any suggestions or can send out a mobile mechanic.
If they can't help, call FR warranty department and see if you can get them to authorize a mobile mechanic.
Old 08-19-2022, 09:39 AM   #3

the unit is new to me, used once before. no contact with preious owners
So I dont know
Jimdrago1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 09:43 AM   #4

I have had good luck finding a mobile RV service that does warranty and having them call FR for authorization. They know the correct wording to use
I would usually suggest a DIY path but on such a new RV you definitely need to get it done under warranty.
Edit. Just saw where you say it is a used unit, do you have any warranty?
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 10:47 AM   #5

Basically the same thing happened to me once. The end result: I found that there is a rubber hose coming from the regulator to the main distribution block under the camper and something, we decided a squirrel, had eaten a small hole in the hose. I cut the hose at the hole, found a small copper tubing that would fit into the hose, and spliced the hose back together. All was well after that. Later I found that something, maybe a squirrel again, had eaten away the corrugated plastic tube cover over some wires at the front of the camper barely nicking the wiring. I also found the corrugated plastic tube cover eaten away on my cargo trailer. Maybe look under the camper for this?

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 11:15 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Your situation is puzzling...

If you removed the line/hose exiting the regulator and have propane there, everything up to that point is working. (tank valve, excess flow device & regulator)

If you have no propane in the R/V that would indicate a blocked/pinched supply line...but... that should also make the regulator indicator turn green just like it does when you put your finger over the line at the regulator since no LP would be escaping.

If something had chewed/worn a hole in the line from the regulator to supply the R/V, I would think you'd smell propane (either outside or inside) or hear hissing somewhere and if leaking enough, it would/should have triggered the excess flow device in the tank valve (shutting off the propane) or at the least, drained your tank(s).

Some detailed investigation is due and if you are not comfortable doing it, consider a mobile tech.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 07:33 PM   #7

Just had this happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Basically the same thing happened to me once. The end result: I found that there is a rubber hose coming from the regulator to the main distribution block under the camper and something, we decided a squirrel, had eaten a small hole in the hose. I cut the hose at the hole, found a small copper tubing that would fit into the hose, and spliced the hose back together. All was well after that. Later I found that something, maybe a squirrel again, had eaten away the corrugated plastic tube cover over some wires at the front of the camper barely nicking the wiring. I also found the corrugated plastic tube cover eaten away on my cargo trailer. Maybe look under the camper for this?
Had this happen last month. A squirrel (probably) ate a hole in the hose that runs from the regulator down to the trailer plumbing. When I put the new hose on, I armored it by running it inside 3/4" Carlon ENT flexible conduit. Also bb.

In the past I have covered the feeds from tanks-to-regulator and tank-to-gas-grill with 1/2" Carlon ENT flexible conduit.

A couple of years ago you could get both sizes at Lowe's in 10' lengths for under $10. Now it seems to be really hard to find, or double/triple the price.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 08:16 PM   #8

sometimes it takes a real long time to purge the line of air...
turn a burner on and leave it on for a few minutes monitoring

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 12:14 PM   #9

I had the same problem. Did all the same things. Do you have an outside kitchen? I found the quick connect valve under the trailer was cracked and leaking propane. There was a recent Recall for Forest River pertaining to this issue.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 01:55 PM   #10
Site Team

An idea. Modern propane tanks have a free flow prevention device internal that sense a high flow rate and shut the tank off. Since you recently filled both tanks, they were disconnected and the pressure in the lines was released. When you turn on a tank into an empty system, you need to crack the valve ever so little and wait a minute or two for the slow flow to pressurize the lines before opening all the way up. This prevents tripping the free flow protection system. Close the valves wait 10-15 minutes, then ever so slowly crack one until you just hear/feel propane flowing, stop and wait two minutes. Now open all the way.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 02:00 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
An idea. Modern propane tanks have a free flow prevention device internal that sense a high flow rate and shut the tank off. Since you recently filled both tanks, they were disconnected and the pressure in the lines was released. When you turn on a tank into an empty system, you need to crack the valve ever so little and wait a minute or two for the slow flow to pressurize the lines before opening all the way up. This prevents tripping the free flow protection system. Close the valves wait 10-15 minutes, then ever so slowly crack one until you just hear/feel propane flowing, stop and wait two minutes. Now open all the way.
I think they mentioned in the OP they tried opening them slowly but maybe they didn't wait long enough for the equalization. Never hurts to retrace your steps.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane