Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2018, 11:10 AM   #1

Non automatic changeover regulators?

Everything I search seems to be an automatic changeover regulator. Are there not many manual ones anymore? We're not having any problems, but ours is about 12 years old, so I'd like to replace it preventively. Any highly recommended ones, or ones to stay away from? I know there's a Camco model that has a bad rep.

Thanks in advance,
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:03 AM   #2

Some of the very best equipment and appliances were built 12 years ago or longer. Many appliances and devices 30 years old and older are working perfectly fine today and have never needed to be touched by a repair technicians once. Not even once! Is buying something new from China with engineered built in obsolescence going to offer a lot more reliability than what has been enjoyed so far??? If me, I would keep forever, what has been working. I am sure lots of posts will come in with the latest and greatest replacements for you needs. As all I can advise is to keep what has worked and is worked for so long. Sorry.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:33 AM   #3
Just a member

Love the auto changeover! Especially at 3AM when the temperature is just below freezing and there's light snow in the air.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:32 AM   #4
Old Enough to Know Better

A non "automatic" changeover regulator would be called an integral two stage. Try searching that.
They are commonly used on motorized rigs with a permanent tank. You can mount a 1/4" inverted flare tee on the inlet and tie two tanks together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lv404b34_lv404b39.gif
Views:	75
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	184876  
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 03:22 PM   #5

I prefer a manual changeover too. But don't fix what ain't broke. Buy another if you wish but keep it as a spare.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 04:18 PM   #6

In answer to the "what would you recommend" question, I'd stick with an auto changeover unit made by Marshall. Their design has been around since propane was first installed on RV's. When one tank goes flat and the changeover occurs, flow is somewhat reduced but the Marshall units have enough capacity to begin with that nothing will be starved (like with the OE regulator that came on my new TT). One thing important, if replacing a non-marshall regulator be sure and buy the mounting bracket with screws. Good chance the screws and bracket from your old regulator won't fit.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:28 PM   #7

They do wear out, though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitshaft View Post
Some of the very best equipment and appliances were built 12 years ago or longer. Many appliances and devices 30 years old and older are working perfectly fine today and have never needed to be touched by a repair technicians once. Not even once! Is buying something new from China with engineered built in obsolescence going to offer a lot more reliability than what has been enjoyed so far??? If me, I would keep forever, what has been working. I am sure lots of posts will come in with the latest and greatest replacements for you needs. As all I can advise is to keep what has worked and is worked for so long. Sorry.
Splitshaft, regulators do wear out. The range is pretty tolerant when that happens, and so is the water heater. But the Suburban furnace will not light. If you take off the plenum cover, the blower motor runs a little faster as does the other impeller on the same shaft, the one which forces air into the combustion area. But as soon as you put the cover back on, it won't light.

I finally made a manometer (picture on request) to read the propane pressure. It's supposed to be around 10 inches of water (roughly 1/2 psi.) It was 14. When we attempted to adjust it, gas began leaking from the regulator. I believe the diaphragm had pinholed. (DW had lost the shroud that covers the tanks and regulator years before and never replaced it.) After much cleaning and testing of furnace components, replacing the regulator fixed the problem.

So if the OP wants to buy a new regulator to keep on hand for when the old one fails, I'm all for it.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:19 AM   #8

Thanks for all the replies. I don't plan to replace it till spring, so I have some time to decide.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote