Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2019, 10:50 AM   #1

Oil in propane components

I didn't find this issue in a search, so here goes...

I disassembled the components outboard of the propane tank isolation valve to replace the safety shutoff solenoid as part of an aged out propane detector/shutoff... when I took the dual stage regulator off a good amount of light clear oil ran out of the regulator and down line components… (solenoid, pipe and hose to manifold.

Is this normal as in do they add lubricant to propane for some reason or did part of the dual regulator fail ?

TIA,
Walt

2011 GEORGETOWN 337DS
Walter Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:05 AM   #2

Was the oil really stinky? The odorant that they use in Propane is somewhat oily so perhaps it condensed the regulator and leaked out in oil form.

Can't imagine any other possible source as LPG systems operate without oil or lube.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:11 AM   #3

Gratitude

Thanks Mike... I had a inkling that it might be an additive for odor... stinks to high heaven !!

Walt

2011 GEORGETOWN 337DS
Old 09-04-2019, 11:17 AM   #4
RV There Yet?

I have only seen oil ever added to propane for Airsoft, but not for RV's anything else. apparently, though it IS indeed added. see the forum below about where it comes from. exactly as OP described.

https://fishingminnesota.com/forums/...-propane-line/
Old 09-04-2019, 11:51 AM   #5

That explains why the compartment where I store the extend a stay hose always smells of propane.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
That explains why the compartment where I store the extend a stay hose always smells of propane.
Wait until you smell the inside of a freight company's delivery truck when they've hauled a couple of drums of Ethyl Mercaptan that have leaked slightly around the "bung". This is the stuff that's added to LPG to make it stink.

I got a delivery one day and when the driver opened the back door it hit us like a wall of stink. Driver said it had been like that for a couple weeks after he made a delivery of the stuff to a LPG processing site.

More persistent than getting sprayed by a skunk

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:46 PM   #7

liquid in regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Pigeon View Post
I didn't find this issue in a search, so here goes...

I disassembled the components outboard of the propane tank isolation valve to replace the safety shutoff solenoid as part of an aged out propane detector/shutoff... when I took the dual stage regulator off a good amount of light clear oil ran out of the regulator and down line components… (solenoid, pipe and hose to manifold.

Is this normal as in do they add lubricant to propane for some reason or did part of the dual regulator fail ?

TIA,
Walt
Walter Pigeon;
Had the same problem on my FR 30FW. The regulator for the main onboard Horizontal tank was placed below vapor line and eventually killed my regulator. The liquid poured out when I removed it. Replumbed and placed new regulator above vapor line and voila no more problems.
Bytesponge
Bytesponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:53 PM   #8
Professional Texan

Ethyl Mercaptan is the odorant used but is less than a pint per 10,000 gallons of propane. It is powerful and takes very little to odorize propane. I think the most like culprit is a bad batch of propane. There can be a lot of lube oil involved in processing natural gas into propane. To meet specifications it should never have free oil in it and it should never freeze. Good propane has zero water in it.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:37 PM   #9
jkoenig24

When excessively LONG hoses are used, said hose can become clogged with oil. This usually happens when a large external propane tank is used. In such situations, it's important to be using the correct regulators. The RVGEEKS did a YouTube video on this unusual circumstance.

jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:30 AM   #10

Inlet and Outlet size

Further, Gentlemen...
The propane detector replacement kit comes with a new 12volt solenoid... Our original solenoid was piped for 3/8"IP and the replacement is 1/4" IP... thoughts on just resizing the line with bushings and new nipples to adapt to existing.

What has anyone else done to address the difference? and will it make any difference as the line pressure is so low after the regulator ?

Thanx

2011 GEORGETOWN 337DS
Old 09-05-2019, 12:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Pigeon View Post
Further, Gentlemen...

The propane detector replacement kit comes with a new 12volt solenoid... Our original solenoid was piped for 3/8"IP and the replacement is 1/4" IP... thoughts on just resizing the line with bushings and new nipples to adapt to existing.

What has anyone else done to address the difference? and will it make any difference as the line pressure is so low after the regulator ?

Thanx
No reason why not.

Tags
propane