Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2018, 03:00 PM   #1

Oven won’t stay lit

I light my oven pilot and the oven comes on and stays lit for 10 to 15 minuets and go’s out, I re light the pilot and oven comes on and same thing happens, after I light it the third time it works fine. This has happened 4 times so far.
Any ideas?
Duckhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:10 AM   #2

Welcome

I’ll just provide some general ideas as to the pilot issue not knowing the brand or model of range. One problem could simply be air in the line to the pilot light. Once there is pure propane, the pilot burns fine. If there is an adjustable air shutter for the main burner or pilot, it may be set wrong and need adjusting. The oven might have a thermocouple to shut the gas off to the pilot if it goes out and the pilot flame is not making good contact with the thermocouple or it is weak. The pilot orifice jet might have some carbon build up restricting the gas flow and need cleaning. The propane gas pressure regulator at the tank might be set low. Normal propane pressure is 11-inches water column of pressure and needs to be measured with a manometer. Propane gas can be very dangerous. It is heavier than air, so it will collect in low lying areas. Propane has a very wide ignition temperature range, so it easily ignited unlike natural gas that has a narrow ignition range and is lighter than air. A propane distributor in the area might be able to help with the oven pilot.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitshaft View Post
I’ll just provide some general ideas as to the pilot issue not knowing the brand or model of range. One problem could simply be air in the line to the pilot light. Once there is pure propane, the pilot burns fine. If there is an adjustable air shutter for the main burner or pilot, it may be set wrong and need adjusting. The oven might have a thermocouple to shut the gas off to the pilot if it goes out and the pilot flame is not making good contact with the thermocouple or it is weak. The pilot orifice jet might have some carbon build up restricting the gas flow and need cleaning. The propane gas pressure regulator at the tank might be set low. Normal propane pressure is 11-inches water column of pressure and needs to be measured with a manometer. Propane gas can be very dangerous. It is heavier than air, so it will collect in low lying areas. Propane has a very wide ignition temperature range, so it easily ignited unlike natural gas that has a narrow ignition range and is lighter than air. A propane distributor in the area might be able to help with the oven pilot.
Splitshaft, I actually have a video of what many have complained of on these ovens. Not sure if it is the same as th OP. This is what the pilot starts doing once the oven gets up to temperature. Once the pilot stays out, the thermocoupler does its job and cuts the gas off. Once relit the cycle will continue until it shuts off again. I found mine most prone to this when set at 375 deg and higher. You can actually hear the pilot popping when it starts to malfunction. Any thoughts? I've seen a lot of issues with this on the net, but no real solutions, and Suburban won't speak with me about it for obvious reasons.........unfortunately the forum doesn't like the video format, so I'll have to work on posting that later.
Griff02 is offline   Reply With Quote