Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2022, 10:34 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by elob_tx View Post
Federal regulations for the reduction of fugitive hydrocarbon emissions is the primary reason for the implementation of these OPD valves. An added benefit is the safety factor of not overfilling the tank.

As a side note, even the alcohol containing vapors from rising bread in large commercial bakeries requires emissions controls as do the return vapors collected by coaxial hoses installed on gas pumps in areas of the country with ozone compliance issues. Sometime the gas vapor is collected with a carbon canister and returned to the storage tank as liquid and in other cases a device with a vacuum pump and a heated electrical grid combusts the vapor.
OPD's are not required by fed regulations but under NFPA 58 "LPG handling code". NFPA is not a fed agency. Many, if not all states have incorporated NFPA "code" into their laws.

FWIW every time a propane tank is filled gas is purposely vented. First by use of the outage valve and second to release gas trapped between tank valve and fill line valve (to prevent freeze burns to operator). OPD's do nothing to reduce the daily release of gas vapor, just prevent the dangerous release due to expansion in an overfilled tank.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:21 PM   #22

Living in an "agricultural" area, I don't mind the operator using the vent the reason being is that some folks may have a tank without an OPD, Which I know is illegal, but there are some still out there and if filled thinking it has an OPD, well not good.
Stormy Dayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy Dayton View Post
Living in an "agricultural" area, I don't mind the operator using the vent the reason being is that some folks may have a tank without an OPD, Which I know is illegal, but there are some still out there and if filled thinking it has an OPD, well not good.
OPD equipped tanks are easy to spot. If the operator can't tell they have no businesd filling ANY tank.

Tanks need to be inspected prior to filling for date and condition.

Old 05-24-2022, 08:20 PM   #24

I don't really care if they use the vent or not when refilling my tanks. But I do know when they use the vent, the poundage is always slightly more than when they don't, so I like that.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 09:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Every tank that I have ever had filled at multiple places they have always vented the tank by opening the relief valve with a screwdriver.
The only place that didn't vent our tanks when they were filling was some guy in Oregon. I asked him about it and he was an expert about propane he told me so I didn't pursue it further.

When we were stuck in Bishop, Calif. last winter the manager at the RV park would never put more than 6 gal in our 7 gal tanks. Said it would just blow off if he put more in.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:00 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbike View Post
The only place that didn't vent our tanks when they were filling was some guy in Oregon. I asked him about it and he was an expert about propane he told me so I didn't pursue it further.

When we were stuck in Bishop, Calif. last winter the manager at the RV park would never put more than 6 gal in our 7 gal tanks. Said it would just blow off if he put more in.
Based on earlier posts about Bishop it sounds like it's a town with "challenges" is that a "town of challenged"?

Old 05-25-2022, 10:38 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
OPD equipped tanks are easy to spot. If the operator can't tell they have no businesd filling ANY tank.

Tanks need to be inspected prior to filling for date and condition.

TitanMike, you are correct, HOWEVER, they are out there, And they vote and multiply !!
Stormy Dayton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, pressure, propane, tank