Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2017, 01:54 PM   #1
King of the Road

Passenger side propane not working.

Ok so as title says. Have auto switch regulator did not switch auto so switched manually to passenger tank (full). Went green tried to use stove came on then a few seconds later died. Took full tank over to drivers side and connected worked fine. Took the empty which I removed and got it filled, put into passenger and won't work. So both tanks work on drivers side and neither work on passenger side. So regulator not tank problem. My question auto regulator is on drivers side with tank (see pic 1) with the passenger tank there or another regulator/valve that is red (see pic 2). Could that red valve be the problem rather than the auto switch regulator?

Tried to search but only have my phone a came up blank.

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:18 PM   #2
King of the Road

Well...now it appears that water heater isn't working on propane. Ok need advice, thanks.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:25 PM   #3

Turn off lp. Can you purge the lines...ie surface unit, heater or something?

Slowly open tank valves and check again.

The red “valve” is a regulator. Why you have 2??? I dunno unless they did that on purpose?? My old unit had an auto changeover valve. I just learned to wait 30 minutes before using....or turn on before I leave on a short trip.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:34 PM   #4

Just sat through a class at bamaganza on this. Close the passenger side and open slowly. Close again and open slowly. Repeat as necessary to pressurize the line. When you first open the valve, if the flow exceeds a certain flow rate, the valve/regulator thinks there is a leak and closes the flow.
Please let us know if it works.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:50 PM   #5
Site Team

My passenger side tank failure was caused by a check valve which failed in the closed position. Mine is between the passenger side cross-over hose and the main regulator. I bought a new one at a local RV parts store and replaced the bad one... was back in business.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9458.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	313.9 KB
ID:	153909
The hex nut screwed into my regulator is the check valve. HTH

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:50 PM   #6
King of the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Turn off lp. Can you purge the lines...ie surface unit, heater or something?

Slowly open tank valves and check again.

The red “valve” is a regulator. Why you have 2??? I dunno unless they did that on purpose?? My old unit had an auto changeover valve. I just learned to wait 30 minutes before using....or turn on before I leave on a short trip.
Yes that's what I thought and have no idea why there's 2 regulators. Hot water working again. Tried turning tank off and on a couple of times slowly but still no go. All propane appliances work, WH, stove and fridge, but only getting propane from drivers side tank. Should I replace the passenger side regulator first or maybe just remove it and see? Not seeing anything that looks like a check valve, thought the red unit might be that, but it looks like other regulators I've seen.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano1955 View Post
Ok so as title says. Have auto switch regulator did not switch auto so switched manually to passenger tank (full). Went green tried to use stove came on then a few seconds later died. Took full tank over to drivers side and connected worked fine. Took the empty which I removed and got it filled, put into passenger and won't work. So both tanks work on drivers side and neither work on passenger side. So regulator not tank problem. My question auto regulator is on drivers side with tank (see pic 1) with the passenger tank there or another regulator/valve that is red (see pic 2). Could that red valve be the problem rather than the auto switch regulator?

Tried to search but only have my phone a came up blank.

The picture you have looks like the same setup I have. Mine does not switch automatically. I have to manually turn the black lever on top to use propane tank on the other side.
djeirlessr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:14 PM   #8

Yes, that red valve could be your problem, they have a tendency to quit or leak. See the discussion here starting about #15 http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-129284-2.html

9.5 year old FR Cherokee 295 WP 32' toyhauler
2013 Ford F250 SD CC 4X4 4.30 gears
Tuned-- engine, music, and exhaust,
bpadamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:02 PM   #9
W4DNA

On the side of your auto-changeover regulator fed from your "non-functioning" side, there is a small fitting the hose goes into attached to the main regulator. This is a one-way check valve, but will sometimes fail closed so gas does not come thru. Remove it and if you cannot blow thru it from the supply side, you need to replace it. I don't remember what I paid for mine, but not very much... (Someone else mentioned this, but I think you might have missed it...)
NCRadioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
My passenger side tank failure was caused by a check valve which failed in the closed position. Mine is between the passenger side cross-over hose and the main regulator. I bought a new one at a local RV parts store and replaced the bad one... was back in business.
Attachment 153909
The hex nut screwed into my regulator is the check valve. HTH
I have had a similar issue with my Crusader. Pictures look very similar to my setup. Have low pressurenduring bottle changeover and furnace burner kicks on and off. I'm going to look for this check valve. May be partially plugged. Thanks for posting the solution.
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:31 PM   #11

I went through a similar experience with the passenger side tank not supplying propane. Went through to slow opening and closing of the valves, no help. I then replaced the regulator located on the passenger side near the tank, did not help.

I finally removed each end of the hose that crosses over from the passenger side to the main regulator, attempted to blow air through the line, but nothing. I then stuck a tool (I used a scribe) into the ends of the hose. On the drivers side, I met with resistance and shoved the probe harder and it "opened" up what ever it was that was causing the blockage. I have been successfully using both tanks throughout the end of last season, (I live in the Pacific Northwest and winterize), and since April of this year without a problem.

It works well, and now I have a spare regulator.
card16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:24 PM   #12
King of the Road

Fixed

Sorry for the delay, internet problems the last couple of days.

The red is a high pressure regulator (30 psi) that was broken (after 1 year). Replaced it and all is fine.

This is the cheaper regulator, mine cost $10.69 U.S. retail and took minutes to wrench off and on. Make sure you use spray bottle of soapy water (or windex) on the fittings to make sure there are no leaks, and the YELLOW teflon tape on the threads.

Old 10-14-2017, 03:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano1955 View Post
Sorry for the delay, internet problems the last couple of days.

The red is a high pressure regulator (30 psi) that was broken (after 1 year). Replaced it and all is fine.

This is the cheaper regulator, mine cost $10.69 U.S. retail and took minutes to wrench off and on. Make sure you use spray bottle of soapy water (or windex) on the fittings to make sure there are no leaks, and the YELLOW teflon tape on the threads.
My Red Regulator on my Crusader sings like a bird when propane is on. Guess I'll replace it and the check valve. Hopefully that will solve my problems. Where did you purchase your new one?

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:37 PM   #14
King of the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
My Red Regulator on my Crusader sings like a bird when propane is on. Guess I'll replace it and the check valve. Hopefully that will solve my problems. Where did you purchase your new one?
Spanky's RV and Marine in Parker AZ. I'm down here for the winter. I'd just check online normally but I couldn't find one as cheap. If you're anywhere near worth stopping in and checking them out. Friendly and helpful.
Make sure you check yours to see what pressure it says and get the same. Should be high pressure 30 psi. Some are 15 or 20.

Old 10-14-2017, 10:45 PM   #15

I'm experiencing the same thing. Mine is on the drivers side. Replaced the red regulator,nothing,replaced the main regulator. Nothing. Replaced the pigtail. Still nothing. Both bottles work on the passenger side.i have given up for right now.
imabmwnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane