Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2019, 05:13 AM   #1

Propane alarm at 4 AM.

I had just woken up to do my morning potty visit when the propane alarm went off. After chasing everybody out I left both doors open and I turned off both propane tanks. It was only after I went outside the camper and then went back in, after the alarm stopped screaming, did I smell the propane. Scray stuff.
I have on my tanks the Mopeka tank sensors and they show one tank at 93% when yesterday both tanks where at 100%, seven percent drop over night. To hot to need the furnace and water heater is set to use electric so we are not using any propane.
Camper is going back to the dealer, under warranty, I'm not dealing with it. Camper is two weeks old and it's our second trip out.

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD
Theb2b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:28 AM   #2

That is scary, glad everyone got out alright. Please let us know what they find.
Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:32 AM   #3

In the meantime, I would check the stove top burner control to make sure all in the off position.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:07 AM   #4

Wow! The first time EVER that one of these alarms went off at 4am because there really was a propane problem.

Glad it worked for you and everybody is ok.

Bruce
Old 06-08-2019, 06:31 AM   #5

You were "nose blind." It's common with propane and natural gas. After prolonged exposure to the smell your brain doesn't notice it anymore. Since you were asleep when the leak started your brain was ignoring it by the time you woke up. Once you went outside your brain "reset" and you could smell it again. Very lucky. Hope you get it fixed easily.
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:34 AM   #6

In the meantime, I would check the stove top burner control to make sure all in the off position.

Fonzie I did that, found front burner knob just left of off. Reflexively snapped it to the off position. After I felt safe I turned the propane back on and put the knob in the position I found it. Gave it a sniff test and attempted to light it, nothing.

Wife already ordered child covers for the knobs just in case that was it. At 4 AM brain is in GET OUT mode.

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
Old 06-08-2019, 06:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theb2b View Post

Fonzie I did that, found front burner knob just left of off. Reflexively snapped it to the off position. After I felt safe I turned the propane back on and put the knob in the position I found it. Gave it a sniff test and attempted to light it, nothing.

Wife already ordered child covers for the knobs just in case that was it. At 4 AM brain is in GET OUT mode.
It happened to me once, the reason I mentioned it.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:02 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theb2b View Post

I hope that is all it was (even though your test didn't confirm such), and glad the propane detector did it's job before anyone got hurt.

A few years back, I started a thread where the RV'ers were not so fortunate, as someone had leaned against the stove and unknowingly turned the knob.....and they had previously disconnected their propane alarm because hairspray was making it go off.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1290610

I was once moving some boxes in/out of camper and somehow managed to turn the stove knob when squeezing by. It does happen to more RV'ers than you may think, as some relayed their experiences in the above thread.

If people could burn calories from jumping to conclusions, obesity wouldn't be a problem.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:07 AM   #9

One of our dogs did a similar thing at home. Took a little while before I could smell it. Just barely in the ON position. Not even enough to hear it.

One of the grandkids did it in our TT two years ago. We were sitting close by and noticed it right away. Covers with little kids ? not a bad idea.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:19 PM   #10

My daughter newer RV trailer had a similar experience.. It turned out to be the pressure valve on the propane tanks was bad.. The gas drifted into the trailer. they had the valve replaced.. all is good now.
clintbonnie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:43 PM   #11

I was stopped at a rest area and parked next to a guy with a bumper pull rv. We were both on our way home from Goshen a couple years ago. An alarm was going off in his camper. When he opened the door, the propane smell was really strong. His glass plate had knocked the microwave oven door open and fell out, striking one of the stove top control valves and opening it. Lucky it didn't blow sky high.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:07 PM   #12

We never use our stove or burners. But I have a couple of times, found one of us has bumped a knob on it enough to allow gas to flow. Sure doesn't take much of a bump and it's very easy not to notice until you smell it or the alarm goes off. I have a spare propane needle valve somewhere that would be worth installing at the stove to prevent this from becoming a disaster some day.

Some RVs don't have a decent location for a garbage container and about the only convenient solution is to hang a plastic bag off a stove knob. Another way to accidentally turn a knob open... We used to do that in a previous TT but our current one has a great space for a large garbage can next to the dinette seat.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:21 PM   #13

Look in the boxed-in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
We never use our stove or burners. But I have a couple of times, found one of us has bumped a knob on it enough to allow gas to flow. Sure doesn't take much of a bump and it's very easy not to notice until you smell it or the alarm goes off. I have a spare propane needle valve somewhere that would be worth installing at the stove to prevent this from becoming a disaster some day.

Some RVs don't have a decent location for a garbage container and about the only convenient solution is to hang a plastic bag off a stove knob. Another way to accidentally turn a knob open... We used to do that in a previous TT but our current one has a great space for a large garbage can next to the dinette seat.
Look in the boxed-in area under the range. You may find a shutoff for the range there. If you never use it, might as well close the shutoff valve.

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Look in the boxed-in area under the range. You may find a shutoff for the range there. If you never use it, might as well close the shutoff valve.

Larry
I did have the stove out once when doing a mod of some kind a few years ago. No valve that I saw but might be worth another look. Thanks!
Old 06-08-2019, 04:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbonnie73 View Post
My daughter newer RV trailer had a similar experience.. It turned out to be the pressure valve on the propane tanks was bad.. The gas drifted into the trailer. they had the valve replaced.. all is good now.
Good to know, I do you check the check vavle?

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
Old 06-08-2019, 04:09 PM   #16
Just as confused as you

Check the hoses over real good for any kind of distortion. Last weekend I kept smelling a weak propane odor. It was strongest at the tanks so I prepped some soapy water in a spray bottle and sprayed down the hose connections and regulator. No bubbles. One tank was empty so I had it refilled, turned on the valve and sprayed down the hose connections again. Nothing. That night we had the bedroom window open and the odor would come and go. Next morning I went out to spray the hoses again, as soon as I remover the cover I found the hose swollen on the tank I filled the day before.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:13 PM   #17

I kept reading about, and also hearing first hand from other campers, how their built in OEM propane detector did this or that, failed or acted weird.

So, I went to Walmart and got another one. Now I have two. I figure if BOTH go off, I'm bailing out fast.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I kept reading about, and also hearing first hand from other campers, how their built in OEM propane detector did this or that, failed or acted weird.

So, I went to Walmart and got another one. Now I have two. I figure if BOTH go off, I'm bailing out fast.
Just know that the propane/CO alarms have a shelf life of 5 years. We just replaced ours after it went into the "expired" alarm mode almost exactly 5 years to the day. Sure gotta shop around for decent pricing because some places are 2 -3 times more.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Check the hoses over real good for any kind of distortion. Last weekend I kept smelling a weak propane odor. It was strongest at the tanks so I prepped some soapy water in a spray bottle and sprayed down the hose connections and regulator. No bubbles. One tank was empty so I had it refilled, turned on the valve and sprayed down the hose connections again. Nothing. That night we had the bedroom window open and the odor would come and go. Next morning I went out to spray the hoses again, as soon as I remover the cover I found the hose swollen on the tank I filled the day before.
All good suggestion, need to put it here that we took delivery of the camper about 2 weeks ago, straight from the factory as it is a custom order unit.

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
Old 06-08-2019, 10:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbonnie73 View Post
We went through a couple of propane regulators until we learned to turn the propane on and off slowly. Might just be a rumor, but we haven't had one go bad since we started opening it that way.

I agree with Theb2b, the dealer should check this out under warranty. Just glad everything turned out ok.

Tags
propane