Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2017, 08:17 PM   #21

The indicator people are talking about is usually on or just above the switch that selects the tank to be on. There should be a green indicator somewhere on the changeover unit that will turn to red when the gas on the unit it is pointing to runs out. Assuming you have opened both tank's valves, the unit will automatically switch over. Do not disconnect the tank the arrow is pointing at. First turn the pointer to the other tank and the indicator should go back to green on the "new" tank that is filled. You can then safely close the valve on the empty tank and disconnect the empty tank (arrow is no longer pointing to this tank, but to the full one) and take it to be filled up again. I also make sure the plug is in place on the tank to prevent dirt/crud, etc. from getting into the tank during transport. I also cover the open hose (pigtail) from the disconnected tank for the same reason. I will usually do that with plastic wrap or even a zip lock bag. Haven't had a problem in 40 years of doing this. At one point, we were changing tanks every two or 3 days due to a very cold snap, but, the indicator worked just fine and so did the changeover. If you don't have a changeover unit (some older trailers don't) the pigtails will just go from the tank to the pressure regulator with no switch and no indicator. Then you are on your own to figure out which tank is on and what is empty. If you have one of these, I would recommend you replace it with a changeover unit and keep the other unit for a spare. Good luck.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:28 PM   #22

Thanks, I'll check tomorrow in daylight and see if I have anything like that. I don't recall seeing any indicators of any kind on my 2006 rig's changeover unit.
Slow Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:32 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moon View Post
Can someone tell me how to locate the "sight glass" that should be green or red. I have never seen a sight glass on propane tanks, valves, regulators or lines.

Thanks in advance
If you look at the photo in Post #1 you can see the sight glass on the front of the regulator.

If your regulator does not have a sight glass it may not be the auto changeover type, meaning you'd have to flip the selector to the backup tank when the active tank runs out.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:36 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
The furnace is the biggest hog of propane. Since my wife and I usually begin each season during late winter and early spring we use a lot of propane. As I mentioned, I am a staunch believer in using one tank at a time but it does have its drawbacks. There seems to be an unwritten rule that the gods of propane strictly enforce and thatís your furnace will always run out of propane between the hours of 1AM to 4AM. Itís always fun to go outside in your jammies when the temp is 35 degrees to switch over to the other propane tank. BUT, at least I have a full bottle of propane to switch over to.

A quick heads up. If youíre using the furnace and it runs out of propane the furnace will have to be reset. Basically itís just a matter of turning the thermostat off for a couple of seconds and then turning it back on.
That's funny!

I'm a one tank at a time user as well.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:07 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
The furnace is the biggest hog of propane. Since my wife and I usually begin each season during late winter and early spring we use a lot of propane. As I mentioned, I am a staunch believer in using one tank at a time but it does have its drawbacks. There seems to be an unwritten rule that the gods of propane strictly enforce and that’s your furnace will always run out of propane between the hours of 1AM to 4AM. It’s always fun to go outside in your jammies when the temp is 35 degrees to switch over to the other propane tank. BUT, at least I have a full bottle of propane to switch over to.

A quick heads up. If you’re using the furnace and it runs out of propane the furnace will have to be reset. Basically it’s just a matter of turning the thermostat off for a couple of seconds and then turning it back on.
Here's a way to fool the propane gods: When you know you're getting close to low on the in-use tank, switch to the other for the night, then back to the 1st tank in the morning. Of course, the propane gods will fight back by making you forget to go back to the 1st tank in the morning!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:45 AM   #26

Auto switchovers with indicators are fantastic and make my life easier!

I guess I'm just ignorant, or check my tanks too often to worry about running both tanks dry. I always open both tanks, as I would hate to get up in the middle of the night to open a closed one. You know tanks never need switching over during the day.

I like technology that works automatically. I check my indicator regularly and verify by weight when I know one tank is close to empty.

Never have run completely out of propane as my cold natured wife would shoot me if the heater stopped working due to lack of propane.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:49 PM   #27

Thanks for help finding my indicator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfChuck View Post
The indicator people are talking about is usually on or just above the switch that selects the tank to be on.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restcure View Post
If you look at the photo in Post #1 you can see the sight glass on the front of the regulator....
THANKS for helping me find it! VERY tiny on mine & difficult to see--deep behind the 30 lb tank in my 5er compartment. I've been a "1 tank on, 1 off" guy, but I'll now turn them both on now & see how this indicator works. Mine is in the center of the tank selector knob.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:54 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateParked View Post
I have been monitoring my auto changeover valve to gain a gut feeling of the rough amount of propane we are consuming, so far both sides are green. So to be absolutely sure I removed the tanks and gave them a shake test. The tank on the right was completely empty and the system had auto switched over to the left tank. The problem is there was no indicator that the right tank was empty as it still indicates green. I am concerned that the valve is faulty, which could leave us completely out of fuel in the forest! Attachment 142137Attachment 1
State Parked, I had never had this happen until now. I suspected my regulator was doing as you describe. So after seeing your post, I decided to test mine. I completely disconnected both tanks from the regulator a few days ago and it still has a green indicator. Replacing it today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170621_163854_resized.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	142582  

Whiteknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:27 PM   #29
King of the Road

Quote:
Can someone tell me how to locate the "sight glass" that should be green or red. I have never seen a sight glass on propane tanks, valves, regulators or lines.

Thanks in advance
The "sight glass" is just the regulater indicator for full/ empty tank. See the red on the glass in this pic. Should be similar.

( boy y'awl are fast) I have a red and green streamer stapled inside my tank doors (tank on both sides). When tank in use, green streamer out, when tank empty, red streamer out, when tank full but not in use, no streamer out.

If I see green and nada, good to go. If I see green and red, need to be thinking about a tank refill pretty quick. If I see red and red I better find my flint and steel and an extra blanket cause I'm cooking out doors and sleeping with the dogs tonight to keep warm.
Attached Images

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:15 AM   #30

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano1955 View Post
The "sight glass" is just the regulater indicator for full/ empty tank. See the red on the glass in this pic. Should be similar.

( boy y'awl are fast) I have a red and green streamer stapled inside my tank doors (tank on both sides). When tank in use, green streamer out, when tank empty, red streamer out, when tank full but not in use, no streamer out.

If I see green and nada, good to go. If I see green and red, need to be thinking about a tank refill pretty quick. If I see red and red I better find my flint and steel and an extra blanket cause I'm cooking out doors and sleeping with the dogs tonight to keep warm.
I do like the streamer idea. BTW--I'll bet you don't see red and red very often.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:12 AM   #31
King of the Road

Quote:
I do like the streamer idea. BTW--I'll bet you don't see red and red very often.
Just once, lol

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, propane, valve